Seatbelt issues

koda&phiasmama

I have mentioned about the plastic cracking around my seatbelt buckles in a past thread and finally got around to taking pics.

View attachment 18034

This is what they used to look like.

View attachment 18036

This I what 3 of them look like now after installing seats they have cracked off.

Is that safe did that plastic piece serve a purpose ?

I was avoiding using them but now that the one broke wear DS sits its an issue he now rides in a HBB.

ETA: my pic are always jumbled from the app sorry the first pic is at the bottom :)

Last edited:
ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The plastic casing is the lightweight locking part of the buckle. It not being there just means that you have to treat the belt as a sliding latchplate for installing car seats (meaning use a locking clip or lockoffs). It doesn't affect booster or seat belt use otherwise. That being said, I would bet there is some kind of recall or TSB on that. Also, depending on the brand of vehicle, it may still be covered under warranty.

koda&phiasmama

safeinthecar said:
The plastic casing is the lightweight locking part of the buckle. It not being there just means that you have to treat the belt as a sliding latchplate for installing car seats (meaning use a locking clip or lockoffs). It doesn't affect booster or seat belt use otherwise. That being said, I would bet there is some kind of recall or TSB on that. Also, depending on the brand of vehicle, it may still be covered under warranty.

Thanks! It's a 2007 Durango we have only ha it since feb this year. I'll have to look into it! So my DS is in a cybex booster with latch so he's ok to use the belt as is then?

jubgulia

That's exactly how the seatbelts look in my parents' early '90s Buick. Exactly the same grey plastic that crumbled off.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Yes - it it fine to use the belt (in that condition) with a dedicated BPB. But if you need to install a harnessed seat in any position with the belts like that then you will need to use a locking clip unless the seat has a built-in lockoff.

The locking latchplate (which existed there originally) only acts as a pre-crash locking feature to keep an installed carseat tight during normal day-to-day driving. The retractor is still going to function properly and lock the belt during a crash.

lourdes

This has nothing to do with your thread but I have never being able to use my sling with my DD in my back! That's great!

koda&phiasmama

lourdes said:
This has nothing to do with your thread but I have never being able to use my sling with my DD in my back! That's great!

Thank you ! I watched paxbabys YouTube video to learn its called a RUB with a ring sling :)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I have a friend that had it happen in her Durango. I'm pretty sure there is a service bulletin on it.

koda&phiasmama said:
Thank you ! I watched paxbabys YouTube video to learn its called a RUB with a ring sling :)

I do that carry. Scares the bejesus out of people when Bella's going into it. Actually, any back carry normally scares people when they watch it initiate. Lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC