Help me think through this

glockchick

Ok. Here's what I have now.

Problem #1:

8 passenger suburban, 6 kids plus an 18 year old cousin who rides with me on occasion.

Currently I have Kaleigh and Caleb in Britax Boulevards in the 2nd and 3rd row center seats since those are lap belt only. Kaleigh has about outgrown the Boulevard. Caleb just moved up to the 2nd to top click. All the other seats are occupied by older kids. Kaleigh is 3rd row, Caleb is 2nd.

What do I do with Kaleigh? The BLVD works there but since there are kids on either side of her, nothing wider at the base and torso area will fit and give the boys enough room. They are getting to be adult sized. :eek:

I can move her to a booster on one side and leave the middle 3rd row open and that works fine if my cousin isn't with us, but if my cousin is with us and Kaleigh is in a booster, than one of the older boys has to ride in a lap belt only with no head support. I know that neither the FR85 or GN work with enough room for kids on either side. I haven't tried a Maestro or SK but I doubt that would give any more room either. I'd rather not spend money on something new but I do like new seats just as much as any other girl. ;)

Here's what I have to work with. 2 BLVD 70s, 1 FR 85, 2 PWSGL's (do not work in the 3rd row), 1 TB SS, 1 TB, 1 Bubblebum, 2 literiders

Abigail rides in an AMP and the 3 oldest boys all 5 step now. Puzzle away. ;)

Problem #2

The Civic. All the kids are in school now so I'm not taking anyone to and from daycare in it anymore. However, I would like to be able to use it to take the youngest 3 to gymnastics twice a week because it gets way better gas mileage than my truck.

Would it be reasonable to keep the 2 PWs latched in the back seat and put Abi in a backless up front? It's a 10 minute drive each way and while Caleb is at the lower limit for the PW, it fits him well and he sits still well enoughfor that short of a drive. There is no way to fit all 3 kids in the back seat unless I put both Kaleigh and Abigail in BBs and Caleb harnessed in the middle and that's still pushing it. And I could only do that as long as he fits in the BLVD. Ideally, I'd like to see him harness but the idea of Kaleigh in a backless outboard scares me.

And I also have to be able to transport older kids to school and back so I have to be able to move seats in and out often.

This is not a pressing issue because I haven't been able to drive my car for 6 weeks and it will probably be another 6 weeks before I can. I broke my foot and probably need surgery on it cause it's not healing and my car is a stick. I'd still like to have it figured out though. So after we figure out problem #1, use whatever seats are leftover to solve problem #2.

Last edited:
ADS

arly1983

I honestly don't know how you could work out your problem#1 without buying a new seat for that lap belt only spot. Since the bigger seats don't allow enough room for passengers each side you could try a proride/Signo. My niece has completely outgrown the classic MA and fits with lots of room in the Signo G2 and its sits on a base and the proride fits in the same place as the MA65 in my 3-across so its very similar in size. You could try to work out a trade for one of your BVs or the FR85. Also you could consider a S4M. Its on a base and looks about the same width.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Use a booster and 86-Y in the 3rd row center for K.

Booster C in the car. He rides in a booster with your ex right?..so take this 10 ride to practice.

babyherder

I'd put both girls in backless boosters in the car and harness C to keep all 3 kids in the back. I wouldn't put one in the front when you have a useable seat (and a carseat that fits in it) in the back.

glockchick

Yeah. Caleb rides in a booster with his dad. I might be able to fit him in a booster and the girls in backless boosters if I use two bubble bums and put Kaleigh in the middle of the civic. I think she's short enough that she'd have head support but I'd have to try it.

I'm thinking for now I'll just keep Kaleigh harnessed in the suburban until she outgrows the blvd. I suppose I could move her to the 2nd row center in the fr85 but it's a pita to install and it's a bad idea to have her and Abi next to each other. That's why I have them where I do now. Lol. But if I had to I could deal with it I guess.

glockchick

Exactly. I have 2 tethers outboard and those are shoulder belt areas. I might be able to drill my own for an 86-y but I'm not sure it's worth it. I'll just make my cousin take her own car along with some of the kids if we're all going the same place. More peace for me. Lol!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC