Car Seat with Shock Absorbers?

longsh0t

I apologize in advance if this isn't the proper forum for this question but I came across your site in my search for a car seat for our daughter. She's 15 and has Osteogenesis Imperfecta which is a bone disease which causes them to break very easily. Even though she's 15 she's only 40lbs and sits in a carseat whenever she's in the van. She also sits in a car seat on her school bus.

We've had an recent issue with the school district where they can't seem to assign her a smooth riding bus (they say the bus she is on is the smoothest riding one that they have). In any case, whenever the bus goes over bumps when she's in her seat it hurts her back.

I don't know if anything like this is even available but we're looking for a carseat that has some sort of shock absorbers to help lessen the chance of her getting hurt from the school bus. I've seen chairs with shocks to help mediate crash impact but that's for front to back motions.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm sorry I can't answer your question -- I don't know of any carseat with shock absorbers, but what is your daughter's height and projected growth pattern? That will help us recommend the best seats for her.

I wonder if the Britax convertibles with SafeCell technology might be a good start?

brookity

Welcome! My daughter has OI as well. I know how hard it can be to see our snowflakes in pain. Can you tell us what kind of seat she is in now? There are some that have more padding than others. We might be able to suggest one that might be more comfortable than what she is riding in now.

jubgulia

Hi! My son also has OI. He is only 2 ½ and is still in a rear facing seat, but I am interested to hear what you come up with.

Techs: Wasn't there a Radian or other seat with memory foam under the bum? If so, was there better shock absorption with that?

longsh0t

Thanks all of the replies. Sorry for not getting to this right away as I wasn't near a computer for most of the weekend.

Her current height and weight is about 31" and she weights about 30 to 35lbs. She isn't expected to grow much more. She current uses the built-in car seat in our Chevy Venture but that's more of a preference for her. Being 15 and riding in a car seat isn't her first choice.

She's unable to walk and while the school bus is the primary concern, if we were able to find something suitable we would be interested in using it the van as well.

My first thought would be to RF her in a Radian, but at 15 I doubt she would go for that.

My second thought was the Britax convertibles. The base is separate from the seat but connected by pins which do move, if you push your hand down into the seat on one side or the other, it moves ever so slightly. There are semi-flexible plastic "SafeCells" underneath the seat where her bum would be, which I have noticed do flex somewhat. This may be just enough to ease the bumps. Also, they come in some cute patterns, so it's not such a "child" seat.

Ideally, she would be RF, but that is a little far-fetched for a teen, IMO.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Can the bus transport in a wheelchair? I can't find the link right now, but there are several WC19 certified powerchairs. Maybe there is one with shock absorbers.

longsh0t

Sorry for the late reply. A few days after my last post my daughter was admitted into the ER due to back pain and we've been in the hospital ever since. She currently has a compression fracture in her spine.

To answer the question about transporting her in her wheelchair, she has a Permobil C400 and it does't offer the type of protection that she needs so transporting her in it isn't an option.

We will look at the Britax, Radian and Foonf seats. The Foonf seats would normally be out of our price range but if it solves our issue then it's obviously worth considering.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC