Car and Driver ranks safest new vehicles under $25,000

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Car and Driver magazine's list, released today on their website, is comprised of vehicles with stability control and side curtain airbags, four or five star NHTSA crash test scores and/or good NCAP scores, and available for less than $25K.

Here's an quote/excerpt from an article in the Detroit Free Press about the list:

“This list will help guide car buyers to safe vehicles at a very reasonable price, and it clearly shows how safety technology has moved to the mainstream,” said Mike Dushane, executive editor of CARandDRIVER.com, in a statement. “It’s not just for the luxury car buyer anymore.”

For a complete list of the vehicles go to www.CARandDRIVER.com/toptensafecars.

ADS

smurf

Interesting.

Out of the ten cars, 4 are Japanese (ScionxB, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Mazda CX-7), 2 American (Saturn Astra, Dodge Charger), 1 Korean (Hyundai Sonata), 1 Swedish (Volvo C30), 1 German (VW Rabbit, my own bunnymobile!), 1 British (Mini Cooper).

Good mix of makes and definitely something for everyone.

Thanks for posting this!

mimieliza

Very interesting list, and includes some vehicles I hadn't considered for good family cars (notably, the Hyundai Sonata, Mazda CX-7 Sport and Scion xB).

Now if someone could publish a "Safest Cars for Under $10,000" that would really be helpful. :)

Jeanum

Staff member
I think the list left off some vehicles that met the criteria of safety features, price, and NHTSA/NCAP crash scores, but it can be a helpful guide. The Saturn Aura hybrid for example, if carefully optioned, can be had for under $25K with standard curtain airbags and stability control, and the non-hybrid Aura XR model, if not optioned out the wazoo, is just below $25K base price MSRP, again with standard stability control and curtain airbags. The lower priced Saturn Aura XE base model just lacks stability control.

DH and I found it somewhat ironic that this list came out a couple of days after he got an '08 Scion xB. :) I wanted to wait for IIHS side impact crash tests, which are tougher than NHTSA's, but DH talked me into the xB now because the '08 model is a definite upgrade from his twice crashed old Saturn L100 in terms of safety. :whistle:

Jeanum

Staff member
even if you removed the word "safest", that list would contain zero cars, lol...
True for new cars. It would be helpful if someone would compile a list of safer used cars typically priced under $10K on the used car market. :twocents:

southpawboston

And can you imagine a Mini Cooper as a family car? NOT! :p

yeah, that would be stretching it a bit. but i have a sister with two kids, 10 and 7, and they have a subaru forester and a mini. they only use the forester when they absolutely *have to*, and take the mini most places. they just put whatever bulky things they need to bring along up on their yakima roof rack with space cadet storage box.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's a nice starting point. I'd definitely want to know how a car does in the IIHS side impact testing; that seems like a serious omission. The IIHS frontal test is also omitted, though the Euro test is similar. The IIHS rear test is also omitted, though it is more of a seat back and head restraint evaluation and not a true impact crash test.

These models are all very reasonable choices for safety, but there are some other excellent models that were not included. For example, the Honda Civic, Kia Sedona and Subaru Legacy sedans and the Honda CR-V all come to mind as top choices for safety that can be found for under $25k in some trim levels with side curtain airbags and stability control.

lovinwaves

It's nice to see Scion up there on the list, considering they are marketed towards a younger inexperienced driving crowd :)

My 18 year old sister has wrecked her Scion twice now. Thankfully both incidents were just her vehicle and didn't involve serious damage. I was disappointed that my parents had not checked out the safety ratings on her vehicle before purchasing. It looks like Scion is taking a step in the right direction.

Now if someone could publish a "Safest Cars for Under $10,000" that would really be helpful. :)

Man, I'm not even that old and I still remember the days when a $25,000 car was clearly considered a "luxury" car and really expensive.

Now you've got Camry's and Accords blowing way past that. I remember our old Town & Country minivan only cost $19,000. I doubt it was that safe (I remember some recall or TSB about the rear hatch flying open and the rear bench flying out) but it didn't crack $20,000.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC