Turn 3yo to rf??

diaperjoys

Our 3yo is about 31.5 lbs (w/o clothes or shoes...). Is it worthwhile to turn him to rear facing? What seat could I use? He's too tall for a Roundabout in rf, so he probably wouldn't fit a Scenera???? Seems like it is cutting it pretty close weight-wise to do rear facing in one of the taller seats that go only to 33 lbs. Winter is coming, so add some jeans and a heavy shirt + shoes, and he'd be really close to the 33 lb weight limit.

Would it be worth it?

ADS

katiesmommy

At that close, I don't think I would do it. Once you add clothes and shoes, and he has a good meal/full tummy, how much does he weigh then?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It is up to you. I agree with Katiesmommy, though, that he is so close to the RF limits of the 33-pound RF limit seats, that it probably isn't worth it. At his age, I would feel fully comfortable with him being FF.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Evenflo Advance with the 35 pound weight limit should work....lot taller harness and 50 pound FF weight limit will long outlast your Roundabout, too. But really, at three, I'd probably stay FF and make sure it's top tethered (if you need a tether anchor installed, we can help you out with information). :)

Qarin

I agree with the PP, but wanted to say that the Scenera is noticeably taller than the Roundabout, and from what I understand the Cosco Uptown is taller still.

My 33 month old DD has outgrown her Roundabout rearfacing (head to the top), but could still fit in the Scenera.

Connor's Mom

I agree with the PP, but wanted to say that the Scenera is noticeably taller than the Roundabout, and from what I understand the Cosco Uptown is taller still.

My 33 month old DD has outgrown her Roundabout rearfacing (head to the top), but could still fit in the Scenera.

I have never seen a Roundabout next to a Scenara so I do not know about actual shell height, but if you are talking about harness height (which is what matters) you have more room in the Roundabout. Top harness on it is 15.5" where it is only 14.5" in the Scenara. I *think* that it is also 14.5" on the Uptown too. Someone that knows correct me if I am wrong about the Uptown harness height.

And to OP, at that weight fully clothed he will be too close to the RF limit in a 33 pound RF limit seat so I too would just leave him FF. And personally, at 3 I would not buy another seat just for those 2 extra pounds. :2cents:

o_mom

I have never seen a Roundabout next to a Scenara so I do not know about actual shell height, but if you are talking about harness height (which is what matters) you have more room in the Roundabout. Top harness on it is 15.5" where it is only 14.5" in the Scenara. I *think* that it is also 14.5" on the Uptown too. Someone that knows correct me if I am wrong about the Uptown harness height.

Here ya go. DS1 3y3mo, 36.5 in, 33 lbs. He was too tall for the RA RF for over a year before these pictures but could have still been RF in the Scenera.

37101.jpg

37102.jpg

VLsMom

I would feel comfortable with him FF at his age. Of course, RF is going to be safer, but in a harnessed and top tethered seat, he's going to be very safe too. You could take him to Walmart and try him out RF in a Scenera - and if he fits, get it and RF him til he's 35 lbs or over the height limit. If he sleeps in the car, he'll sleep better laying back more RFing.

Loves2sing

I have to agree with the other posters in here. While we all know that rf is safest, I would be turning my dd ff at about that weight limit ff in a 30 rf limit seat, just so that I wouldn't have to weight her everyday to make sure we still fit the limit. As long as you have a seat that fits your ds well, and is installed properly, he will be nice ans safe!:)

Qarin

I have never seen a Roundabout next to a Scenara so I do not know about actual shell height, but if you are talking about harness height (which is what matters) you have more room in the Roundabout. Top harness on it is 15.5" where it is only 14.5" in the Scenara.

Except I was only talking about rear-facing, where top harness height isn't an issue. Good point, though, as far as long-term forward-facing use.

mimieliza

I would keep him FF in a seat with a 33 lb. RF limit. If you had a seat with a 35 lb RF limit, I would turn him RF again.

I am nervous about using a seat at the very top of its RFing limit. I know that it's crash tested, and should be safe, but it still worries me. I will probably turn my DD FF when she's within two pounds of the limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC