Longer or shorter crotch strap

tl01

DS2's doc is wondering if the crotch strap his car seat is contributing to DS2's vomiting. Currently he rides in a toddler orbit but vomiting did occur just after riding in a radian too. He rides RFing. DS2 fights me like crazy to get into any seat. The doc thinks all of his screaming and fighting puts air in his belly and the pressure of his fighting starts the reflux vomiting process. Apparently he has very strong defined and which could increase his stomach pressure when he's fighting. As I've mentioned before DS2 has had reflux since birth but this car vomiting is a more recent phenomenon. The car is the only consistent component but duration in car and drive type vary from one vomit to the next. He's been evaluated neurologically which all was normal.

Has anyone ever attributed vomiting to pressure from the crotch buckle? Would a shorter or longer one better?

Eliminating the vomiting in the radian since that was a one off event so far (though he only rides in the orbit)... Do you think the orbit base is to blame?

ADS

tl01

Does this pic help?

d520d274.jpg

jeminijad

When you look at the buckle from the side, does it kind of jut into the gut area, or is it a flat plane from crotch strap through buckle into shoulder straps?

Some buckles do put a little pressure on the lower abdomen, but not on the stomach itself... anything is possible. Maybe the combination of the carseat posture, which is not how a kid would normally hold themselves, with the buckle, with the air in the belly - it could be, but it is just guesses.

What does the pediatrician suggest doing about it?

My guess would be a shorter crotch strap might help IF the doc is right about what is triggering it.

tl01

When you look at the buckle from the side, does it kind of jut into the gut area, or is it a flat plane from crotch strap through buckle into shoulder straps?

Some buckles do put a little pressure on the lower abdomen, but not on the stomach itself... anything is possible. Maybe the combination of the carseat posture, which is not how a kid would normally hold themselves, with the buckle, with the air in the belly - it could be, but it is just guesses.

What does the pediatrician suggest doing about it?

My guess would be a shorter crotch strap might help IF the doc is right about what is triggering it.

His ped suggested trial and error. I was just trying to shorten our list of things to try. Anyone know if the size4me has a long or short strap?

tl01

Something else I thought about this weekend is the chest clip. On his orbit, his chest clip mysteriously moves up while he is in the seat. It makes no sense but it does move up. One of our own members who is a tech witnessed it this past week. I have sat in the third row and lowered it multiple times in the same ride. I wonder if it ever gets too high on his throat. I've never see it that high but maybe he leans forward and it gags him??

brightredmtn

tl01 said:
I wonder if it ever gets too high on his throat. I've never see it that high but maybe he leans forward and it gags him??

I think you may be on to something. Either this or all his Freddy Mercury impressions.

tl01

I think you may be on to something. Either this or all his Freddy Mercury impressions.

He did the impressions all weekend long;). No need for the music. I bet your DS was glad to have some peace away from them;).

It seems to move up more than just what slouching would cause right? It seems if he slouched that much then he'd have more lose straps. I wonder if the slicker straps make the clip move up more easily.

tl01

I assume you've ruled out carsickness by giving him Dramamine or similar, correct?

I haven't given him any meds and it is still a possibility. It only happens once a week or once every two weeks so it seems like a lot of meds to
give him. He vomited Friday night after a short car ride but not after a long one on Friday and a long one last night. Friday was highway and lots of motion sickness inducing street driving.

tl01

I assume you've ruled out carsickness by giving him Dramamine or similar, correct?

I haven't given him any meds and it is still a possibility. It only happens once a week or once every two weeks so it seems like a lot of meds to
give him to try to figure it out. He vomited Friday night after a short car ride but not after a long one on Friday and a long one last night. Friday was highway and lots of motion sickness inducing street driving.

cookie123

Weird. Is he coughing before it happens? Brett sometimes has a coughing fit and then pukes. His tonsils are huge. It doesn't seem like the crotch buckle would be a problem since it's so sporadic.

tl01

Weird. Is he coughing before it happens? Brett sometimes has a coughing fit and then pukes. His tonsils are huge. It doesn't seem like the crotch buckle would be a problem since it's so sporadic.

No coughing before. Just sitting normally. No big tonsils or ENT issues. He has been in reflux meds recently and it still happened:(.

Mugsmom

I'd lean toward motion sickness. As an adult, I still get it riding in cars all the time, and it's sometimes very random. I almost always get it if I ride in the backseat, sometimes in the passenger seat, usually on curvy roads, always when I try to read or look out a side window, usually on an empty stomach, always when it's overcast outside (because of the bright light I think) and NEVER when I drive.

So, I would try always giving him a carb-based snack beforehand, give him something to keep his focus off the windows, stick a pair of sunglasses or a hat on him, and if all else fails...let him drive? :p

Good luck, I hope you figure it out!

smackeen

There was a post on one of my boards that I am on in regards to being car sick.

A suggestion was anti static flaps for the back of the car. A few swore that that made all the difference for them.

Sorry, I am no help for the buckle though. Other than it does look low and could push into belly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC