Question Which rfing seat is easiest to install with seatbelt?

abbi_n_nadia

Our third row only has one set of latch so we need a seat that's easy to install with seatbelt. I'm not good at RFing seatbelt installs and dh and I together can't get the true fit in there with seatbelt! With latch easy peasy but with seatbelt....

ADS

Lenae

The TrueFit and the Radian are the only two seats I've ever had difficulty with, and for two different reasons. The TF is hard to do the lockoffs on with a seatbelt because the two layers of belt fabric are hard to clip down. The RXT doesn't play well with long buckle stalks. What kind of vehicle do you have? Someone here may have experience with your particular car and know what seats are compatible.

Brianna

Your Marathon should install easily with the lock-offs, or are you looking to purchase a new seat?

abbi_n_nadia

Sorry my siggy isn't up to date... Right now oldest dd (almost 6) is in the fr85 3rd row, middle dd is almost 3 and is RFing in our true fit 3rd row, and youngest is 7 months RFing in the MA70 in the 2nd row. We're thinking about switching dd1 to booster mode in the fr85 but I would like to use latch and there's only one set of latch in the 3rd row. We have a 06 Ford Freestyle.

We've thought about turning dd2 forward after she turns 3 in December (possibly putting her in the fr85) and getting a booster for dd1. But then we tried dd1's frontier in booster mode and it seems to fit her well so then we thought maybe just a different convertible for dd2 that would install easier with seatbelt (and maybe a 40lb RFing limit...she is just about 30lbs now).

Last edited:

Amy7707

I found the MyRide really easy to install with the seatbelt. I installed it in numerous cars and it always installed in less than a minute.

abbi_n_nadia

Thank you for the replies. :) that's what I was thinking is maybe a MyRide. We just checked target thinking we might find one on sale but no luck, all they had are the 70lb version ones for $159.99. Gonna run to BRU to see if we can try one in our car and look at the parkway sgl too.

monstah

I have the same car. My younger two are in the 2nd row and DS is in the third row (Oobr). He just gets in through the tailgate. Would that be easier?
The sides of the MyRide are so high, it might be a pain trying to climb in there in the 3rd row.

henrietta

Britax, Graco My Ride, and the Evenflo Triumph or Momentum...they have all been easy rearfacing installs w/seatbelt for me.

abbi_n_nadia

Ok I think we are just going to stick with the seats we have and keep dd1 harnessed in the fr85 and dd2 RFing in the true fit until they til turn 6 and 3 (only a couple more months and their bdays are only 2 weeks apart). I really like how dd1 fits in the fr85 in booster mode so I think she'll just stay in it and we will get dd2 a fr85 sict after she turns 3 (if it'll fit next to the other frontier in my 3rd row). Thinking of putting the sict one where there's no latch or tether anchor.

Monstah we have to get them in/buckled through the tailgate sometimes too and it's not too bad but I just love having one 2nd row seat open cause it makes things easier and gives us more room. Do you by any chance know if two fr85's, one with the sict and one without, will fit next to each other in the third row?

monstah

abbi_n_nadia said:
Ok I think we are just going to stick with the seats we have and keep dd1 harnessed in the fr85 and dd2 RFing in the true fit until they til turn 6 and 3 (only a couple more months and their bdays are only 2 weeks apart). I really like how dd1 fits in the fr85 in booster mode so I think she'll just stay in it and we will get dd2 a fr85 sict after she turns 3 (if it'll fit next to the other frontier in my 3rd row). Thinking of putting the sict one where there's no latch or tether anchor.

Monstah we have to get them in/buckled through the tailgate sometimes too and it's not too bad but I just love having one 2nd row seat open cause it makes things easier and gives us more room. Do you by any chance know if two fr85's, one with the sict and one without, will fit next to each other in the third row?

I'd be surprised if they didn't fit! But I'm not sure how easy it will be for your oldest to buckle. Might be great, might be impossible. LMK?! :)

abbi_n_nadia

Ok change of plans again. Lol I just tried the MA70 in the back with seatbelt and I think I got it installed pretty good! I was sweating to death and nearly cried trying to get that lock off closed haha but I did get it closed. There's no movement in any direction at the belt path so I think it's good! Dd2 is getting close to the top of the shell tho. :( My guess is an inch and half from the top. Think she'll make it til December when she turns 3?

Anyways I guess dd1 can stay in booster mode, dd2 will be RFing in the MA70 and dd3 RFing in the true fit for now.

Brianna

Chances are she'll make it to December, but it's impossible to tell if or when children will decide to grow 2" in their torso overnight ;)

The way I've found to be easiest for measuring how much room is above their heads is using this method http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201 but instead of guessing with lines and rulers I find a book or combination of 2 books that is 1" thick and put it on their head perpendicular to the shell.

abbi_n_nadia

monstah said:
I'd be surprised if they didn't fit! But I'm not sure how easy it will be for your oldest to buckle. Might be great, might be impossible. LMK?! :)

Yes I hadn't thought about that. I bet it will be tricky for her to buckle. Darn. :/ I guess it wouldn't be too terrible to have one in the 2nd row tho if it dosnt work to have both in the back.

abbi_n_nadia

Brianna said:
Chances are she'll make it to December, but it's impossible to tell if or when children will decide to grow 2" in their torso overnight ;)

The way I've found to be easiest for measuring how much room is above their heads is using this method http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201 but instead of guessing with lines and rulers I find a book or combination of 2 books that is 1" thick and put it on their head perpendicular to the shell.

Thank you!! I was just eyeballing it so I'm going check again tomorrow using a 1" book! That is a brilliant idea!

abbi_n_nadia

Monstah (or anybody else that might know?) do you know wether it's ok or not to have a 2nd row captains chair slid forward while a carseat is installed on it? The MA70 fits RFing ok in the 3rd row but touches the 2nd row seat in front of it if it's pushed back all the way. Or is it better to slide the seat back and have the MA70 touching (might be pretty smooshed up against it actually). If neither are ok I can put the true fit on the other side but would prefer it in front of the MA70 if it's ok.

I think I've asked this on here before an checked the vehicle manual before but haven't found an answer yet. :/

monstah

I wish I could help you but I don't have captains chairs, just the bench and it only folds, doesn't slide. :( I didn't even realize the 2nd row captains chairs slid on a rail, how cool!

(But if by "slide" you mean folded down, then no, I know the vehicle seats must be upright.)

mominabigtruck

It's ok in my venture to have the seats slid forward. I have 4 captain's chairs and I can arrange them in all different ways depending on who and what seats I have with me.

I can't speak to your specific vehicle but as long as the seat is locked and you have a good install I don't see that there would be a problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC