Best seat for flying?

ADS

Neatfreak

In my experience, it depends on what your most important criteria is. I flew a lot with our Scenera, because it was light to carry around the airport or hook onto a stroller if I was flying with one of those as well.

When I wasn't flying with a stroller, I often chose to take our Marathon or Radian because I had the Gogokidz to use them with. The Marathon installed very easily into whatever vehicle I needed it to on our holidays, while the Scenera was fussier RFing in a few of our rental cars, so that was often part of my decision-making.

The Radian was the nicest on the plane FFing, because it sat low enough that my child could still use the seat-back tray for meals and stickers and colouring, etc (but it was the most cumbersome to haul around, even with the Gogokidz).

MommaKellie

For a now 2 1/2 year old?

I have flown with our blvd about 4 round trips now. I use this product with it:

https://www.gogobabyz.com/products-c26-gogo_Kidz_Travelmate.aspx

I also used the attachment that is a ratchet strap that I bought extra. The blvd can RF on an airplane but it's really hard to use the seat belt because the buckle of the airplanes seat belt sits INSIDE the shell and my daughter couldn't actually lay down!! I have asked how to fix this but I was told I was just doing it wrong. EEH no. The stem comes into the seat, Even if I twist it, the clip part of the buckle twists back to what the stem wants. Sorry, this is a rant a little!!

anyway. If you know you will be traveling with a harnessed seat for a while, get the travelmate! My dd slept most of the way on and off the plane and between flights! She was so comfortable!

MommaKellie

I have flown with our blvd about 4 round trips now. I use this product with it:

https://www.gogobabyz.com/products-c26-gogo_Kidz_Travelmate.aspx

I also used the attachment that is a ratchet strap that I bought extra. The blvd can RF on an airplane but it's really hard to use the seat belt because the buckle of the airplanes seat belt sits INSIDE the shell and my daughter couldn't actually lay down!! I have asked how to fix this but I was told I was just doing it wrong. EEH no. The stem comes into the seat, Even if I twist it, the clip part of the buckle twists back to what the stem wants. Sorry, this is a rant a little!!

anyway. If you know you will be traveling with a harnessed seat for a while, get the travelmate! My dd slept most of the way on and off the plane and between flights! She was so comfortable!

edit- it can FF too. I felt safe FF my under 1 dd on the plane because the seat wouldn't always fit rf in a full plane. It was better than being a lap child.

todzwife

Would a CA w/ travelmate roll down the isle of a southwest plane? Does it install WITH the travelmate on or do you take it off when you get on the plane? We were just planning to put the seat on the stroller.:eek:

Eclipsepearl

Do what works for you. Attach it to the stroller if it fits. You may want to reinforce with bungees, if necessary.

To be honest, the GogoKidz is basically just an overpriced luggage cart. You can buy the same, even better, at your local Kmart or luggage store for less than half the price and better quality. Get one with a metal base, not plastic (like the Gogo). Plastic can break. Metal less so. Experience speaking...

What I don't suggest is hanging it on the handles of a rolly bag. First, rolly bags are not great carry-on's when traveling with children. You need a soft bag, like a backpack, which you can put at your feet and dig to get what you need (and you need a lot with a baby!) The rolly bag has to go in the overhead so if you need a diaper, you're pulling it down and unzipping it... Especially important if you're alone.

Rolly bags were often grabbed when we didn't have enough stowage for them all. Less risk with a soft bag.

Also, if the handles break, since they're not designed to hold that much weight, you have a car seat, baby and bag and no way to haul it all, in the middle of the airport. Not pretty.

I could use the car seat as a de facto stroller from about age 18 months on. A baby can't sleep in it but then again, some babywear and pull the car seat behind them. Easier than trying to bring the stroller too, which can either be checked or borrow one at your destination. I also chucked my backpack in there when the child was either walking or being worn (yet another reason to not bring a rolly bag on board!)

Make sure the handle is high enough if you're tall. I like telescoping handles but they are not deal breakers. The metal base is!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
My favorite seat for travel is the Coccoro. I use a homemade strap to attach it to my Baby Jogger City Mini and I wear DS on my back. We use the stroller/car seat combo to carry our carry-on luggage and stroller bag. When we get to the gate, the stroller goes in to the bag and gets gate checked and we carry our carry ons and the car seat on to the plane. It's easy peasy even with international travel.

U

Unregistered

Sorry to hijack, but how did you attach the Coccoro to your BJCM? We have a BJCM and a G-Luxe and I'd love to be able to attach a convertible to one of them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC