Suggestions for sitter's vehicle

Mamadou

My son will be going to a sitter one day a week. She has 2 girls in boosters, and doesn't have space for an extra seat to be installed full time. DS is 28 lbs and 35ish". Would a vest be a good option? If not, any suggestions for a seat that is easy to reinstall weekly? She drives a Xterra if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
~Joy

ADS

angie3096

I would not be comfortable with my child in a vest. Especially at 28 pounds; at that weight he should still be rearfacing. These are really short, watch:
Forward facing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NMFPSStXfqE
Rear facing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K62Ea8Fs4ng

What is your price range and does her vehicle have LATCH? If no LATCH, will you be installing with a lap belt or a lap/shoulder belt?
The Marathon is the easiest install, but if that is absolutely out of your price range there are others that might work. However the next "easiest to install" will depend on how you need to install it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How old is your ds?
What year is the sitter's vehicle and do all the back row seating positions have lap/shoulder belts?

If the vehicle is new enough to have LATCH, I'd get a radian 65. It installs easily in pretty much all vehicles with LATCH and your ds has 12lbs at the very least before you'd have to worry about a seat belt installation. (I'm not sure if Nissan is 40lbs or 48lbs...) It's also very narrow so that the girls in boosters should be able to buckle up beside him, and it folds for in between use so wouldn't take up much space either. Plus it has 18" top slots and a weight limit of 65 lbs.

The other option I'd consider is a cosco scenera or uptown - both of those are relatively inexpensive, narrow compared to some other seats and should install fairly easily - they just won't last him as long as the radian because they have a 40lb weight limit and shorter top slots.

He is definitely safer rf'ing at his weight - and I'm not sure about his age, so I can't say definitively if I'd push to have him rf'ing in the sitters vehicle, but if he's 3 or close to it, I'd be fine with a single trip a week ff'ing in a good seat. I know others will disagree with me, but if he is older, he is safe ff'ing - just not as safe as if he was rf'ing.

If he's less than 2yrs old, then even in the sitters car I'd push to have him rf'ing, and if the sitter doesn't typically have an adult passenger in the front seat when she has your ds, I think the Radian would be the best bet simply because of it pretty much automatically having the right recline angle so you wouldn't have to check the angle and worry about pool noodles and such every single week. :twocents: Then you would still have a high weight seat to use once he was turned ff'ing as well.

singingpond

My son will be going to a sitter one day a week. She has 2 girls in boosters, and doesn't have space for an extra seat to be installed full time. DS is 28 lbs and 35ish". Would a vest be a good option? If not, any suggestions for a seat that is easy to reinstall weekly? She drives a Xterra if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
~Joy

Does this imply that she won't have both girls in the car at the same time as your son? Just wanted to clarify if you simply need a seat that's easy to install/uninstall (since the car needs the space for the two boosters at other times) OR if you need a seat that will fit at the same time as the two existing boosters? The second scenario will give you fewer options, so it's important to make the distinction. More information about the vehicle (type of seat belts, whether it has LATCH) would also help people answer your question better. If a 3-across install is necessary, it would also help to know the available width of the rear seat, as well as what model boosters are currently being used in there.

Katrin

Morganthe

What is your price range and does her vehicle have LATCH? If no LATCH, will you be installing with a lap belt or a lap/shoulder belt?
The Marathon is the easiest install, but if that is absolutely out of your price range there are others that might work. However the next "easiest to install" will depend on how you need to install it.

IF the new Maxi-Cosi Priori is as easy to install as the European version, it would also be an excellent option. I could install mine within 3 minutes and it was pretty much Army proof against mistakes.

The only problem is the awful restyled harness adjusters and the $200 price. :(

Mamadou

I completely understand the rfing preference as DS is still rfing in our Boulevard and the grandparents' sceneras. A girl can dream of an easy solution, right? ;)

DS will be 2 when he starts going. I think the Xterra is new enough to have LATCH, but I don't know about the seatbelt configuration. Hopefully, this will be a short term situation, so I'd rather not shell out big bucks for a seat that we won't need in 6 mos.

ETA: Let me find out the specifics on the backseat width, type of boosters, etc. Both girls will be in their boosters when DS is in the vehicle.

angie3096

Do you find the Sceneras to be an easy install? I've never owned one but that would be your least expensive solution.
I'm also wondering about the FPSVD; it's $129 but as tall as the MA, and if she has LATCH, it should be an easy install. Don't know how it is with a lap/shoulder belt, though; it doesn't have lockoffs.

singingpond

Since you're already familiar with the Scenera (in grandparents' car), and that is a relatively narrow seat, and doesn't cost much for a short-term situation... maybe that's the way to go? Also usually easy to pick one up locally, try it out in the vehicle, and return if it doesn't fit well (no shipping hassles).

Katrin

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I had the same thoughts as Katrin -- will the boosters be occupied while your child is in the car? What exactly are the boosters?

I think it's Wendy who has an Xterra & might be able to offer more advice :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC