Buying within Warranty

armywife12

How important do you think it is to buy a vehicle still within it's warranty? The 3 vehicles we are looking into (Pilot, Odyssey, Flex) all have 3yr/36,000 mile warranty so most of what we are finding are either close to or out of the warranty because of our budget. My husband is hung up on getting one within the warranty period so I want some input on how important this really is or if it's worth it to "settle" on a different vehicle (maybe like a mazda5) mainly for the warranty period. I've read mixed things on extended warranties. What's the deal with those? What is your opinion on upping the budget to get a vehicle still within warranty? I think we'd have to up the budget by about 3K to do that and that's assuming we can save enough to get the the budget I want

ADS

ca2003

I think it is nice having a warranty for piece of mind but I don't know if I would buy a vehicle over another vehicle based on warranty alone.

I would recommend doing some research on additional warranties that are available for used cars (outside of just what a dealership might offer) and see where the pricing falls. Then decide if you want to put the extra money there for X years of warranty coverage or put the money into a newer vehicle with X years of original warranty coverage.

We haven't really been in a position yet where we purchased a car that was just outside of the original warranty and we wanted extra coverage (though when we bought our used 2008 impala 4 years ago we bought warranty coverage not realizing it was still covered by the remainder of the original 3 year/36,000 mile warranty).

In 2009 we bought a 2000 Buick as a second car and since it was older we just bought a 6 month warranty from the dealer. I think it was about 10% of the cost of the vehicle and it made us feel better about buying an older car and them trying to patch something (looking back we probably would have been better off just paying a mechanic to look at the car).

We just replaced the Buick with a 2012 Optima so we didn't have to worry about warranty there but if the next vehicle we buy is a few years old I know I will definitely be researching warranty options.

tl01

Are you planning to get a trim level with more bells and whistles? If so, I'd want a warranty. Things like power doors and DVD
Players and built in navigation are costly to repair. Manufacturer backed extended warranties like Toyota care or Honda car are the only way to go. Don't let a dealer sell you a third party warranty.

Manufacture warranties often include things like rental cars if your car has to stay overnight. That alone has saved me a lot of money bc we can't be down a car.

Do you drive a lot or not much?

armywife12

Are you planning to get a trim level with more bells and whistles? If so, I'd want a warranty. Things like power doors and DVD
Players and built in navigation are costly to repair. Manufacturer backed extended warranties like Toyota care or Honda car are the only way to go. Don't let a dealer sell you a third party warranty.

Manufacture warranties often include things like rental cars if your car has to stay overnight. That alone has saved me a lot of money bc we can't be down a car.

Do you drive a lot or not much?

I'm hoping to get a Pilot EX-L or one of the higher trim Flex models. My vehicle averages about 10k a year. We use it for our long trips to Fl and do those once or twice a year. It's not driven very much throughout the week but is our outing vehicle on the weekends. What kind of extended warranty would be good for a Ford?

ca2003

I didn't realize you could buy extended warranties straight from the car manufacturer - I'm sure that makes things much easier. When our impala needed work covered under the third party warranty it was a pain to first get the dealer to see what was needed and not charge us, especially because they didn't know if it would be covered or not.

It looks like Ford has a warranty as well: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPage

littleangelfire

Yeah, you don't have to get the tail end of the original warranty to have a warrantied vehicle. Get manufacturer certified. I've had honda certified, great deal. I used to say third party warranties are bad but I got one this time around and so far I like it. Unlike manufacturer warranties i've had from honda, it has a deductible, so that stinks. But $100 is still better than most repairs

Sent from my Sidekick 4G using Car-Seat.Org

armywife12

Any other warranty wisdom? I'm seriously clueless with this stuff. I looked up what was recommended already but can't get warranty quotes on the dealer extended warranties so I can't compare that price to what it would cost to up my budget for a vehicle with lower mileage

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC