86-Y harness and booster seats

mom of six

Hey everyone,
In my spare time between being asleep and awake I think about my future car seat situations. (and I am sure I am not the only one:eek:) I have two spots in my van with lap only belts and I am beginning to think about solutions when my kids out grow their harnessed seats.

I have an 86-Y harness that we have previously used with a Graco Turbobooster. I currently have a frontier 85 and I am trying to figure out if I could use the 86-Y with the Frontier in booster mode. I have read in other threads that it is not allowed but that it is OK to use the 86-Y with the Parkway. How come? I would think that the beefy blow molded shell of the FR it would support the 86-y harness better than the thinner plastic of the PW or the TB or the Monterrey.

Is there a definitive list of boosters that can be used with the 86-Y harness?

Who decides if a booster can or cannot be used with the 89-Y harness?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think it's more whether it will fit/will work than is allowed. Only one booster manufacturer I know of officially approves it (Diono Monterey.)

mom of six

Thanks Ketchupqueen.

Would anyone else be willing to weigh in? Is Defrost still around? From my research on this site it seems like she has quite a knowledge base with the 86-y harness.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The 86-Y doesn't work with Frontier unless the vehicle seat it is sitting on is really thick. The "Y " part of the harness goes at the top back edge of the vehicle seat, if that puts it too close to the Frontier for the straps to route around the thick neck of the Frontier. It's been pretty much 50/50 in the vehicles I have tried the combination in.

AustinMusic

Unfortunately I can't be of too much help regarding the 86Y, and even less so regarding it's use with booster seats (sorry!) - ketchupqueen / safeinthecar / defrost know far more than I.

However if a harnessed seat (or more specifically a harness) is required once all your harnessed seats have been outgrown, and the 86Y Harness does not prove the solution, then you could always opt for a front opening vest such as the 101 or 102PB Vests.

We use the 102PB Vest and are very happy with it. Once it is adjusted correctly and the mounting system is also adjusted correctly, it is very simple to use. If you were to use it with the Floor Mount it can actually stay in the vehicle like a regular car seat would do. It can then simply be put on like a jacket when it is needed.

Just a thought if the 86Y Harness wasn't the answer yet a harnessed "seat" was still required...

mom of six

So it is not necessarily a case of THOU SHALT NOT with any particular boosters but rather if the 86-y fits with the vehicle seat, the chosen booster and the kid?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Right. It's that if it doesn't work it won't restrain properly, so you have to find a combo that works.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC