My sons pre k school...

Baylor

In the packet that comes with all the forms was a page stating that all children under 4 should ride in federally approved car seat and children 4-8 should be in booster.
Also has numbers for free car seat clinics and free or reduced cost car seats.

:)

auto correct hates me

ADS

Baylor

I was shocked but really happy. At least the parents are getting the information.

auto correct hates me

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A for effort, C-minus for content. 4yos should (as a general rule) not be in boosters, and there's a lot of 5yos that shouldn't either.

Phineasmama

Honestly after seeing what was going on at my DD's 4K last year, I would be THRILLED if all the 4 year olds were in boosters. Most of them were in low backs, a good bit were in NOTHING at all, and I did not see any in 5 pt harnesses. Most of the younger siblings were also in boosters.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Well, I do agree that just getting all 4yos in boosters would be excellent.

But if they're going to send out flyers, they may as well put out best practice information.

Phineasmama

Yeah, I mean I wish people would harness for sure, I just feel like for all the LBB and adult seat belt users, they would just think that's so crazy and off the wall and ignore it completely. So idk which is worse!

Baylor

It's basically exactly what the NHSTA flyer says.

And not only does it give info it tells them how to get free/ discounted seats and car seat checks.

auto correct hates me

jacqui276

I think that it is great that they sent out that info.

The parents who are going to be willing to harness a 4 or 5 year old are going to harness them regardless of what a pamphlet says. Information like this is to reach the parents who are not even meeting the minimums so that their children can hopefully ride safer. If you push the extremes at them, they will get turned off and be less likely to try.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I just cannot agree with B+ for content. Many parents with harnessed 4 year olds will assume that the school knows what they are talking about and perhaps prematurely move their child to a booster seat. What they should say is that kids 4+ should be in a car seat or booster. Or a child restraint. My kid's old pre-school was not super proactive about car seat safety but they did require you to have a seat of some type if you went through the car line. The decision one what type of seat was up to the parent.

Baylor

tanyaandallie said:
I just cannot agree with B+ for content. Many parents with harnessed 4 year olds will assume that the school knows what they are talking about and perhaps prematurely move their child to a booster seat. What they should say is that kids 4+ should be in a car seat or booster. Or a child restraint. My kid's old pre-school was not super proactive about car seat safety but they did require you to have a seat of some type if you went through the car line. The decision one what type of seat was up to the parent.

No it's not worded like that.

I gotta tell you for people who ate usually really annoyed at bad info or no info, I'm surprised at the negative reaction to good solid information and contact numbers for where to get help.

I give them an A. Because I've never had another preschool or school of any sort give out this kind of information.

auto correct hates me

hrice

I must be missing where NHTSA states 4-8 year olds SHOULD be in a booster. It says to remain harnessed until reaching the max limits and then transition to a booster.

From NHTSA:
4 – 7 years
Keep your child in a forward-facing car seat with a harness until he or she reaches the top height or weight limit allowed by your
car seat’s manufacturer. Once your child outgrows the forward-facing car seat with a harness, it’s time to travel in a booster seat,
but still in the back seat.

I agree it's good that they gave out car safety info. However, it is far from stellar.

Baylor

Sorry. I still see it as a great thing. Many kids my sons age are in nothing these days. Their flyer is telling people that they should be restrained in the car.

I believe the guidelines they gave are state law here in pa. Which compared to some states is pretty darn good.

auto correct hates me

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I gotta tell you for people who ate usually really annoyed at bad info or no info, I'm surprised at the negative reaction to good solid information and contact numbers for where to get help.
e

Sorry., but stating that 4yos should be in boosters is bad info, as far as I am concerned.

Baylor

Well I'd be happy to get 4 yr olds in boosters since many are not.

I know here we are about best practice. In the real world away from cpstland, people are working off laws.

If I never came here I would not know about best practice.

Will I give them a NHSTA flyer when I go? Sure but I'm happy to see them give a darn about at least making sure the kids are restrained according to state law.

auto correct hates me

VoodooChile

Ours came with a letter stating that there have been reports of kids "not strapped into their child safety seat" when being picked up. It then gives a summary of state law (I think, not totally sure). It says kids under 8, unless they're 4'9", must be in a booster; and kids younger than 4 years and less than 40 lbs must use a child safety seat (I didn't realize we were an "and 40 lbs " state). Then it gives some statistics and a citation and link to the law.
I should add that at the end of the last school year, ds was one of the youngest kids but was probably the only kid I ever saw in a harness.

Baylor

Just wanted to show you the help page..

I still think it is awesome that they let parents know pa law and where to get info.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC