Question what minivans come in 8 passenger?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

As in 8 proper seats that are fully functional? Some models have an 8th seat that is more of a jump seat is has limited use (ie, you can't install a car seat on 2011+ Sienna's 8th seat).

New = 2011+ Odyssey

Used = 2004-2010 Sienna in CE or LE trim

Budget friendly, but not necessarily safest or most reliable = Chevy Venture/Pontiac Montana

just need the cheapest way to transport 8 people = Chevy Astro

YinzerMama

As in 8 proper seats that are fully functional? Some models have an 8th seat that is more of a jump seat is has limited use (ie, you can't install a car seat on 2011+ Sienna's 8th seat).

New = 2011+ Odyssey

Used = 2004-2010 Sienna in CE or LE trim

Budget friendly, but not necessarily safest or most reliable = Chevy Venture/Pontiac Montana

just need the cheapest way to transport 8 people = Chevy Astro

That... but I am also going to add that the old Siennas (04-10) had a 3rd row that was 3 1/2 inches wider than the current Ody - which can make a difference in squeezing in another car seat or person. You will get more room in an old Sienna.

mom2bnjl

My 09 odyssey had an eighth seat option, but we skipped it. Now that I've seen my friend's new 8-seater with 3 sets of latches in the middle row, I'm thinking of buying the seat. Does anyone know if the last generation (2005-2010) lets you get 3 carseats in the middle row?

crunchierthanthou

My 09 odyssey had an eighth seat option, but we skipped it. Now that I've seen my friend's new 8-seater with 3 sets of latches in the middle row, I'm thinking of buying the seat. Does anyone know if the last generation (2005-2010) lets you get 3 carseats in the middle row?

The 8th seat for the previous generation of Odyssey is kind of like the current Sienna's. You might be able to get a booster on the Odyssey's at least, but it's nothing like the new one. It's not as wide, and doesn't have LATCH or even a TA.

jjordan

Another option is a Dodge minivan with a second row bench, with that row replaced by a 3rd row (3-passenger) bench from another Dodge minivan. It can be a little tricky to get that one to come together, though. I'm not 100% sure of what years/trims have that option.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

crunchierthanthou

Another option is a Dodge minivan with a second row bench, with that row replaced by a 3rd row (3-passenger) bench from another Dodge minivan. It can be a little tricky to get that one to come together, though. I'm not 100% sure of what years/trims have that option.

You could do that with the older Windstars, too. I think the only Chrysler ones that worked were the ones without stow and go seats.

Some rear-facing seats, especially infant bases, may also work there. We have a thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=88571

Helpful thread! Thanks.

o_mom

mom2bnjl said:

Does you 09 have the seatbelt for the PlusOne seat in the ceiling? If not, I think it would be much more complicated than just purchasing the seat.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Car-Seat.Org

Shancouchon

I had a 2004 town and country and I bought a third row bench and it worked beautifully! You can Not do it with the stow and go because the anchors are different. Now I have a 2012 odyessey which I love !! I will say 3 across in te town and country was easier especially in the 3rd row.

Christie

pippi2077 said:
DH is wanting new, not used. He wants me in a vehicle that is under warranty if trade. We did recently trade for a 2005 yukonxl, which I am liking, but he is like no sure it is the best fit for us. We have 5 kids now.

We went and looked at a Sienna but it didn't work for us. Our older 2 kids are over 5' and basically my size. If we buy a new vehicle, I don't want to have to buy new carseats. We currently have a monterey, frontier and onboard35. It is important to me that the frontier and onboard35 are in the 2nd row because they are with me tons more then the older 3.

I think we might go back and try our seats out in the odyessy. I was not in the mood to move seats the day we quickly looked.

DH is even considering a full-size van like the sprinter or NV passenger van. We travel often to grandparents that are 3-4.5 hours away.

I want to say that I'm thinking they are no longer making a Sprinter. DH and I were talking about getting a longer one and doing a custom 18 seat install to trade for our 12-passenger Express. He said that it's no longer an option b/c they are OOP.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

crstcrzy

I went on the same quest in May. I test drove every minivan I could find, and didn't love any of them. In fact, I found them awkward, and the sales staff pushy and rude. I had one salesman at Honda remove his seat belt and start playing with the steering wheel controls as I was driving.... I pulled over, and that was the end of that test drive... Anyways....
I finally gave up the ghost, and started looking at cross overs. We absolutely fell in love with the Chevrolet Traverse (2009). She seats 8, with enough room to fit a good size stroller in the trunk besides. She has 4 tether anchors. 3 in the second row, and 1 in the third. And given her size and power, she really isn't hard on gas! She is better on gas than my brothers Pontiac Montana was, and WAY better than our 2002 Grand Caravan was!

atthehip

We are in the market for a used 8 passenger and I am reading this thread with interest. I had never heard that you could make the older Ford Windstars 8 passenger. We were thinking of doing that with a Caravan (I know of the chevrolet van with 8 pass...it looks really roomy but am worried about reliability?). The astros seem quite truck like and most are rwd so i was worried about snow. I am a fairly new driver and it would just be for around town but really want something that is not going to leave me stranded with (soon to be) 6 kids!

I currently drive a 96 mercury villager (same as nissan quest) and it has been rock solid reliable. I am sad to give it up but there's no way to easily convert to 8 without pulling out the whole front seats to put in a second thing to bolt them onto. :S

SO..anyone actually converted a windstar and did you find it reliable? how about those with the venture/montanas...was the maintenance/relability a real issue? We have months to decide but am hoping to make a wise choice. :)

mom of six

I had a 2004 town and country and I bought a third row bench and it worked beautifully! You can Not do it with the stow and go because the anchors are different.

We drive a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan that we converted to an 8 seater using the rear-bench-in-the-middle trick. I have previously owned a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan and I know we could have used the rear bench in the middle row in that van as well.

I believe stow n go was an option starting in like 2005 and the rear-bench-in-the-middle trick does not work with the stow n go. They redesigned the Grand Caravan in 2008 and since then I think all the rear seats are stow n go so the rear bench in the middle trick will not work for 2008-present models.

Keeanh

The astros seem quite truck like and most are rwd so i was worried about snow. I am a fairly new driver and it would just be for around town but really want something that is not going to leave me stranded with (soon to be) 6 kids!

I absolutely love my Safari / Astro. Yeah, I'm weird :p. It has PILES of room. Like, TF/MR/SR22 3-across kind of room. The RWD thing is a bit annoying in the snow, so I got chains and haven't had a problem since ;).

April

SO..anyone actually converted a windstar and did you find it reliable? how about those with the venture/montanas...was the maintenance/relability a real issue? We have months to decide but am hoping to make a wise choice. :)

Myself, Judi, and one or two others here have converted our Windstars. It has worked great for me with 5 kids, because three across in the third row is really difficult because of the way the interior protrudes into the outboard seating areas. With a 3rd row bench in the second row, it is still tight, but doable. My current setup is 2nd row: parkway or turbo booster, rf radian with angle adjuster, harmony lightrider, and then third row: 11 year old in seatbelt, empty lapbelt only space, parkway. The third row bench in the second row still easily allows enough space for the third row kids to get back there on the passenger side.

In terms of reliability, we've had normal maintenace stuff: tires, battery, front driver wheel bearing. And now we are starting to have some problems at 160k and three years into ownership. This is my 2nd windstar, and I loved the first, but in reality, we will be upgrading to an 04-10 sienna next year because the windstars are starting to get old enough that the tranny will become and issue in the next 40kms or so. Also, be aware that there are several recalls on the windstar, although none of them have created issues for us personally. If I were to buy another, it'd be an 03, which is the latest model year before the switch to the freestar. I'm not aware of anyone who has converted a freestar to an 8 pass or if it is even possible.

The windstar had very good safety ratings comparable to other vans in the 95-03 model years. Certainly better than the montana/venture, which imo, is a death trap on wheels. I'd rather buy a dodge than a gm van in terms of safety. Search gm u-body crash test on youtube and you will understand. The frontal offset crash test is terrifying.
Posted via Mobile Device

atthehip

Thanks so much for the replies...I also appreciate the info about the Windstar. Does anyone know which years of Windstar allow for an 8-passenger conversion?
Thanks!
Cindy

careynj

I saw someone mentioned the NV. My brother has one, it's pretty great. Right now we have a FR, Oobr, RXT in the front row and have it set up as an 8 passenger :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC