Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Which would be the safer choice?

Currently, due to sibling issues (hitting and whatnot distracting the driver), my DD's are on opposite sides of the third row in my Sienna. DD2 is 3.5 and FF in a Radian on the passenger's side (so there is a tether and latch). DD1 is 5.5 and is on the driver's side, seatbelt install in a Nautilus - no tether in that location. The middle seat will have a sibling in it soon.

My question is this:
    Is it safer to have DD1 stay in the five point harness without the tether, or would I do better with a HBB since she isn't tethered? If a HBB, is there a good, safe one that is skinnier than the Nautilus? She is definitely mature enough to be in the booster (though maybe less than 5 times a year, she'll fall asleep in her seat). I know the Nautilus can be a HBB, so that is fine too What would be the safest choice?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Which would be the safer choice?

The limit for head excursion on an untethered harnessed seat and a booster seat are the same. Given that your DD1 is booster ready, we don't know which is safer, as long as being in a booster won't encourage her to lean out to hit DD2. Do whatever works best for you. What does the sibling going between them ride in?

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Carseat Crazy

I'm still working on it but I am leaning Cybex Aton or Chicco Keyfit. I am hoping to go see an Aton this weekend in hopes that that helps me decide... I have thought about getting a radian for DD1, but it seems like a lot of expense and I think I remember reading that the new ones aren't as good for booster mode..

CPS Fanatic
    I wouldnt made the booster decision until you see how she behaves with another child next to her. A new baby is really exciting and she may be more inclined to lean and reach to try to help with the baby.

I think the Aton is super pretty, just saying.

Carseat Crazy

Thanks for the help. I hate having her un tethered!