Which would be the safer choice?

knlrachel

Currently, due to sibling issues (hitting and whatnot distracting the driver), my DD's are on opposite sides of the third row in my Sienna. DD2 is 3.5 and FF in a Radian on the passenger's side (so there is a tether and latch). DD1 is 5.5 and is on the driver's side, seatbelt install in a Nautilus - no tether in that location. The middle seat will have a sibling in it soon.

My question is this:
Is it safer to have DD1 stay in the five point harness without the tether, or would I do better with a HBB since she isn't tethered? If a HBB, is there a good, safe one that is skinnier than the Nautilus? She is definitely mature enough to be in the booster (though maybe less than 5 times a year, she'll fall asleep in her seat). I know the Nautilus can be a HBB, so that is fine too :) What would be the safest choice?

ADS

Brianna

The limit for head excursion on an untethered harnessed seat and a booster seat are the same. Given that your DD1 is booster ready, we don't know which is safer, as long as being in a booster won't encourage her to lean out to hit DD2. Do whatever works best for you. What does the sibling going between them ride in?

knlrachel

I'm still working on it but I am leaning Cybex Aton or Chicco Keyfit. I am hoping to go see an Aton this weekend in hopes that that helps me decide... I have thought about getting a radian for DD1, but it seems like a lot of expense and I think I remember reading that the new ones aren't as good for booster mode..

Kaitsmom

I wouldnt made the booster decision until you see how she behaves with another child next to her. A new baby is really exciting and she may be more inclined to lean and reach to try to help with the baby.

I think the Aton is super pretty, just saying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC