Cco insert question

Cryssy Jane

Have an older cco 10/09 to be exact. Insert says must be used to 20lbs. Baby girl is tiny as in still wearing 3-6 months tiny at 11 months old and weighs approx 15lbs. Thoughts?

First picture with full infant insert. Second picture with just headrest (I separated) and third with neither. She's on the second to bottom slots and I'm thinking either squish the harness covers better or take them off.

Eta there is also a pretty good gap between her bum and the crotch strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
2009 should say required to 15, optional to 20, and not allowed after that.

When Vera was with the company, she said (possibly here, in writing) that it was fine to discontinue at any time as long as the child fit properly (straps below shoulders) without it.

ETA: I like the fit without either part best, based on your photos.

Cryssy Jane

LISmama810 said:
2009 should say required to 15, optional to 20, and not allowed after that.

When Vera was with the company, she said (possibly here, in writing) that it was fine to discontinue at any time as long as the child fit properly (straps below shoulders) without it.

It's not the original insert for the seat. Maybe that's why it says different?

I feel like the bottom part of the insert pushes her bum super far forward and eliminates the crotch gap but she seems otherwise uncomfortable in it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I trust Vera on this one. When I talked to her about it she said she'd talked to the designers and confirmed it, and she's a SN trained Instructor and everything... She said at the time I believe that it was a manual error. It just... never managed to get corrected.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If it came as one piece, it would be the old-style insert, right? I never knew those were required to 20. Are you absolutely sure?

I guess call Combi then. They've gotten squirrelly with their answers since Vera left, so I'm not sure what they'll say.

If it matters, I removed (and sometimes put back in, and then removed again) the insert with DS2 long before 15/20 lbs.

Cryssy Jane

I Think I'm going to leave it out. I do remember this conversation previously I was just a little fuzzy on the details so I wanted to double check.

I'm on hold with combi now just to see what they say.

Cryssy Jane

Cryssy Jane said:
I Think I'm going to leave it out. I do remember this conversation previously I was just a little fuzzy on the details so I wanted to double check.

I'm on hold with combi now just to see what they say.

/facepalm closed. I'll call tomorrow

crunchierthanthou

I like the 3rd (no inserts). The older style said it was optional at 15 lbs (must be used to 15, may be used to 20). I took it out around 15 lbs with dd- which wasn't long after we got it.

It's the new two piece style that has the 25 lb typo. It was part of the 08/11 redesign.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
crunchierthanthou said:
It's the new two piece style that has the 25 lb typo. It was part of the 08/11 redesign.

Except now Combi seems to be challenging the fact that it was a typo and is instructing people to follow the manual.

That's kind of neither here nor there on this particular discussion since it sounds like an old-insert-made-new, but just throwing that out there.

Cryssy Jane

It is an old insert made new. My manual says recommended til 20 lbs but on the insert it says must use until 15. I think I confused the two. Calibrated my scale and she's actually 16.5 lbs so its moot.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
They're sticking hard and fast to the manual despite the fact that it doesn't make sense when you look at the old manual. With Vera gone I don't know if it will ever get corrected.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They're sticking hard and fast to the manual despite the fact that it doesn't make sense when you look at the old manual. With Vera gone I don't know if it will ever get corrected.

Maybe they should hire Judi. She could get it fixed. :cool:

jubgulia

Well, 4 years ago Combi customer service told me to go to the fabric store and make a new cover or buy some batting to attach to my falling apart Avatar covers. I made new ones and then found this place, so... yeah. I'm a little wary of customer service reps.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Without an official statement from Combi, I don't feel comfortable telling a parent at a seat check to ignore the manual and go against the manufacturer's instructions. I am comfortable not using the insert for my hypothetical child under 25 lbs or a child in my care but I will not advise a parent to do so.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
monica-m said:
Without an official statement from Combi, I don't feel comfortable telling a parent at a seat check to ignore the manual and go against the manufacturer's instructions.

In this case, the manual doesn't necessarily reflect manufacturer instructions. I wouldn't tell a parent, "Oh, it's fine, let's ignore that." But I would be fine telling a parent that the company's CPST-I rep said that there was an error in the manual and the insert was meant to be allowed, but not required, and let them make a decision based on that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC