untethered ffing seat vs backless booster outboard

christineka

I have to make a decision once I put the seats back in.

Seating position in question is third row, driver's side.

Ffing child is in a radian, weighing 39 pounds. He will gain weight at some point. He is 5.5 years old and due to buckling issues will be harnessed as long as possible in the van. Yesterday he was rfing in this position, but today is the day to clean the van post vacation. The seat is out, getting the cover washed, and tomorrow will be ffing.

Booster child is 11 years old, around 70ish pounds. She does not fit in a high back booster. Currently she rides in the middle of the third row.

I understand that head excursion numbers are about the same for an untethered radian and a booster child. The 5 point harness of the radian provides sip. The side curtain air bags may or may not provide sip for my boostered child.

The only other child I would consider for this position is my 42 pound 7.5 year old, also ffing in a radian. My rfing 3 year old is absolutely not moving to the third row.

ADS

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Your 11 year old is very safe in a backless booster, outboard (especially with side curtain airbags). The radian rider is safER with a top tether. Put booster rider outboard so the harnessed seat can have the tether. The radian did have good HE numbers untethered, but you don't know if that will/can be replicated in your vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC