Fleece jacket for carseat

ADS

Paperdragon

I think it depends on where you live. We went with the Marinac from Land's End b/c it has a windproof/water resistant layer between the two fleece layers. It's really much warmer than Polartec fleece, esp in wind. Lands End has some sizes left from last year in some colors, but I haven't seen if they are offering them this year or not.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/MarinacFleeceJacket-69981_148664_6.html?CM_MERCH=SRCH

LL Bean's version of this type of fleece is called "Windbloc" I think, but I haven't found it in kids sizes yet.

Mama2J

Ok that's the one I remember you all talking about, the Marinac from Land's End. I think the 4 would fit him this year too, and was almost ready to spend the extra money on it, but they only come in red, pink, and purple. Hopefully they will come out with more colors for this winter. I'll just put the jacket purchase on hold for now then.

We are in NJ. It gets cold here, but not below zero. I would just go ahead and get the LL Bean fleece, but I don't know if that would be good for a winter coat. If I find something that works for him though, I may get myself one.

dluciew

Ok that's the one I remember you all talking about, the Marinac from Land's End. I think the 4 would fit him this year too, and was almost ready to spend the extra money on it, but they only come in red, pink, and purple. Hopefully they will come out with more colors for this winter. I'll just put the jacket purchase on hold for now then.

We are in NJ. It gets cold here, but not below zero. I would just go ahead and get the LL Bean fleece, but I don't know if that would be good for a winter coat. If I find something that works for him though, I may get myself one.

Hi - I'm a Donna from NJ too (Piscataway)! I've been combing the websites for jackets also the last few days. I was hoping to find something with wind protection as well. If anyone has a recommendation I'd love one.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Thickness wise I think it's absolutely fine :) Other then that I'd have to say be careful about the zipper in the middle. I find that if I put my son in a thinish jacket with a zipper in the middle it messes up the harness and if you have a chest piece it might make the zipper dig in to them :) Something to look out for any ways!

Tiffanie

Well I'm not a Donna but I'm in NJ too :ROTFLMAO: I found fleece to be perfect for my kiddos in the winters. Last year we had a really mild winter so lets hope this year is too :)

I recently was at my BJ's Wholesale club and they had these nice polar fleece jackets that were thin but they felt super warm! My DS tried one on and he liked it. I think the LLBean jacket looks a lot like too. Only stinky part about the BJ's ones, they didn't come in neither of my kiddos sizes :( But that's the type of jacket my kids wore last year and stayed toasty warm :)

nisi

Senior Community Member
The LE Marinac ROCKS! I love that jacket! The windproof layer makes all the difference, IMO. Polar fleece is warm, but once the wind kicks up you might as well be wearing a t-shirt. The Marinac blocks the wind. It'll also keep you dry in moderate rain, sleet, or snow. And, it's thin enough that I'm comfortable leaving it on in the car. For short times outside (like a quick run across the parking lot) or if we're active (like kids at recess) my 6yo and I are comfortable wearing ours down to about 25F. If she's just standing around at the bus stop she sometimes gets chilled at warmer temps, though. So, if you're in a mild winter climate, it could probably be your main winter jacket.

Keep an eye on overstocks. They sometimes show up there for a good price.
http://www.landsend.com/pp/FleeceJacket-17772_169589_-1.html&CM_MERCH=PAGE_17772
And if you're near an outlet (excuse me, Inlet ;)), call and ask when their outerwear sale is. It's usually mid October, and they have GREAT deals. We have a total of 6 Marinacs for our family and I didn't pay more than $22 for any of them :)

ETA - No, I don't work for LE, but may be I should

Paperdragon

We used our Marinacs for the first time last night. I didn't have to adjust dd's harness on her Regent at all. And I keep her harness really, really tight! I was really, really impressed. These are going to be our car coats and if we get a really cold snap, I'm going to have them wear regular snow parkas to and from the car.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Hmmm... maybe I should get some of these Marinac jackets to use as an underlayer. We've always used Columbia fleece jackets underneath their regular winter jackets (also Columbia) and then we take off the outer layer when we get in the car and leave the fleece one on. Maybe I could actually get away with just the Marinac for awhile, at least until it gets REALLY cold. Hmmm... thinking about this now. DH would just LOVE it if I find something else to spend $$$ on! :p

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I got the kids some of the columbia fleeces from a local store that had them for $19.99 plus i had a 20% coupon for that day so i got all 3 of the kids jackets they all will work well except for maybe allie's b/c the smallest size they had was 4/5 so i think i might need to try and wash it on hot and shrink it... it's a little big on her. but we will have a while before they are needed since it's still in the 90's here!!! YUCK!

Mama2J

I post a question, and then I don't get a chance to come back and reply until it's on the next page! Hello to my NJ neighbors! There are no LE inlets listed on their web site, and the only place I think that sells that brand is Sears in the mall. So if nothing there, I will have to order it online.

Here is the plan then. If the new Marinacs/colors come out by October/November, I will buy one. I'm sure we'll need something by then. If not, I'll try the LL Bean one. Thanks all!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I got the kids some of the columbia fleeces from a local store that had them for $19.99 plus i had a 20% coupon for that day so i got all 3 of the kids jackets they all will work well except for maybe allie's b/c the smallest size they had was 4/5 so i think i might need to try and wash it on hot and shrink it... it's a little big on her. but we will have a while before they are needed since it's still in the 90's here!!! YUCK!

I really don't think it will shrink. Maybe you can just roll the sleeves up and get a few years out of it? You got a good deal! We have Columbia everything because DH worked for a Columbia retailer and they gave him a really good discount. He just got a new job, though, so I don't know what we're going to do for winter clothes this year! I'm still thinking about the Marinac. It sounds great with the wind-proof layer. It can get really cold here. It's not unusual for it to get to -30, but that is usually only for a week or so and then it's back up above 0. I'm hoping that the Marinac would be warm enough to use all winter.

Paperdragon

I haven't been thrilled with the color choices either. My kids ended up with navy blue and bright red marinacs from e-bay. I'm sewing patches on them to make them more user friendly (race cars for my son and fairies for my daughter).:D

Paperdragon

They come up on e-bay about 1 or 2 per week. Sometimes they are not listed as marinac's. I searched "Land's End Fleece" and anything that looed like a Marinac, I e-mailed the seller and asked for the stock number off the label. Then I called Land's End and verified that it was the Marinac. Some of the polartec ones look very similar. Hopefully more will come up on e-bay now that it's starting to cool off a little

Mama2J

Oh, btw, I'm a Donna from NJ, too!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Awesome, 3 Donnas from NJ! And a Tiffanie! I didn't think there were too many people who cared about carseats IRL, now I know there are some!

I was thinking about trying to get the Ebay jacket above, but it is already sold. Ok was it one of you all?? :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC