WWYD in this situation?

mommyfrog

My 4yo is 39 pounds in jeans and a t-shirt. He's been 39 pounds for a few months now. I turned him ff a few months back when he first weighed in at 39 pounds and he was begging to be ff. He moved from a Radian with a 40lbs rf limit to a Frontier 80. His legs fall asleep on a regular basis in the Frontier and he screams. I've tried teaching him to pull his legs up (criss-cross style) but he falls asleep and down they go. We live 30 minutes from town so not going for long rides is not an option. Now he's asking to sit rf again. Would you move him back to the Radian for another pound and try to get a new Radian? Or just tell him to suck it up? Or another option? The Radian does not install ff in my van (2000 Dodge Ram 12 passenger) AT ALL. I've tried and tried with no success. I really want to get him a Foonf, but you know......:rolleyes:

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Agreed, I'd just do a footrest. Put a pile of blankets on the floor, or a styrofoam cooler upside down.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

I would use a THIN strap/string/twine and thread it through a pool noodle section (you can use as many as you need taped together with packing/duct tape (you can always get spiderman duct tape... lol), but you only need to thread the middle section) and then have that through the beltpath or behind the seat (as long as it's thin and not interfering with the install, you're fine) so he has a footrest.

This may be easier with the Radian because you can thread it through the rearfacing path that isn't being used... and install the seat forward facing.

mommyfrog

I would use a THIN strap/string/twine and thread it through a pool noodle section (you can use as many as you need taped together with packing/duct tape (you can always get spiderman duct tape... lol), but you only need to thread the middle section) and then have that through the beltpath or behind the seat (as long as it's thin and not interfering with the install, you're fine) so he has a footrest.

This may be easier with the Radian because you can thread it through the rearfacing path that isn't being used... and install the seat forward facing.

I was thinking of that. I just need to figure out where I could thread it on the Frontier, since there is no way to get a good ff install with the Radian. I'm pretty good at getting the Radian in various cars, but not this van. I'll play around with it some. Thanks. The footrest idea is good in theory, but there are so many kids in and out of the car that they always get knocked out of place and it's just annoying!! And I'm not sure his legs go that far down. The foot rest would have to be taller than the car's seat!!

mommyfrog

Well, that didn't work too well. It's really hard to find a good place to run the rope. I put it all the way back through the belt path and the pool noodles just keep slipping down. I'll have to work on it more.

Kat_Momof3

yeah, it's going to take trial and error... getting just the right length, getting the pool noodles where you want, all that.

henrietta

Can you tie the footrest you made around the seat in front of him? Then he could prop his legs up and it could be a little bit out of the way. For example, on the back of my seat (driver's seat), there's a handle for getting in and out of the car...I could hang a footrest made of pool noodles on that.

mommyfrog

Can you tie the footrest you made around the seat in front of him? Then he could prop his legs up and it could be a little bit out of the way. For example, on the back of my seat (driver's seat), there's a handle for getting in and out of the car...I could hang a footrest made of pool noodles on that.

I'll check when I'm out there cleaning up the 32oz Icee that is all over my floor!! Thats a good idea for where his seat is at right now. I may just have to move him though so I can build a footrest under him. Not possible where he's at right now. Ho hummmm.....I might just go get my Nautilus from my sister and see how he does in that. Her dd thinks it's hers now, but oh well!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC