Question Car accident

ericarizo

I was stopped at a stop sign to turn onto a busy highway and The guy behind me didn't stop and hit me. My car moved forward a little. He cracked the back number and the taillight is smashed up into the frame. No airbags deployed and my car is drivable, his was not. My neck hurts. I do not know if my seats need to be replaced(TF/TFP,BB) and how I can approach him. He is from Canada and his insurance is ICBC.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't remember if those manufacturers follow NHTSA criteria, but it doesn't matter, because if you're hurt, the crash doesn't meet the "minor crash" guidelines anyway. All the seats need to be replaced. Call your insurance company to see how to proceed.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
ICBC is provincial insurance. They will not volunteer that seats need to be replaced, and if you push them they will do it. I'm not sure how it would work being out of the country but here they only offer a petty amount unless you have your original purchase receipts. Be prepared to advocate for yourself and your kids, and good luck.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would file the claim with my own insurance and let them deal with the other guy's insurance. But a lot of times people on here deal directly with the other party's insurance, and I'm never sure whether that's a personal preference or a requirement of that state's insurance-workings.

If it's an option, considering the other guy is out of the country and probably clearly at fault (is there a police report? Witnesses?) I would definitely go through my own insurance if I had the option.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd also call my own adjuster and have them deal with the out of country insurance. That's a headache waiting to happen otherwise, since laws are so different. Your insurance will probably pay for what you need, and go after the other insurance company for reimbursement.

Emi's Mommy

ketchupqueen said:
I'd also call my own adjuster and have them deal with the out of country insurance. That's a headache waiting to happen otherwise, since laws are so different. Your insurance will probably pay for what you need, and go after the other insurance company for reimbursement.

This exactly. I work for a different Canadian public insurance company. How our claimants deal with out of province and out of country third parties is they don't. We just have the insured fix the vehicle do that we can present the claim to the other insurance and then, assuming that out insured is not at fault, they are reimbursed the deductible once the third party insurance pays up. The adjuster deals with all of it. It's called subrogation.

ericarizo

Just spoke with The First Years and they are replacing both seats. They will send a TFR or TFP to replace my TF and are replacing my TFP with a TFP. Yay for awesome customer service

Owlish

ericarizo said:
Just spoke with The First Years and they are replacing both seats. They will send a TFR or TFP to replace my TF and are replacing my TFP with a TFP. Yay for awesome customer service

That's awesome!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC