Minor accident, what does this mean for my seat?

Mom2LeahClaire

My daughter was in her infant seat, unharmed. I'm sure the seat is ok, but what is the protocol for this? Does insurance give you money for a new one? Or does it have to be a severe crash? I don't mind continuing to use it if it's ok to. It's an Eddie Bauer Safety 1st Onboard Air I believe.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You'll need to check your manual, I'm pretty sure Dorel requires replacement after any crash. Insurance should pay to replace it. Let us know if you need help getting them to.

Mom2LeahClaire

More info...We went off the highway, down an embankment and drove for a little bit until we stopped. Then I kept driving to go back up the embankment and didn't know there was a huge rut and we went right into it. Car was not completely on its side but leaning to one side in the rut. We were bounced around but no injuries and we didn't hit anything. How do I go about this with the insurance company? I've never dealt with insurance before!

jjordan

Oh, well, if you didn't hit anything, then that changes the situation. Would you say that it was similar to driving down a bumpy dirt road? Is the vehicle damaged in any way?

jacqui276

Call your insurance company to report the accident and they will ask you for all of the details. While talking to them, mention that you had car seats in the car and that the manufacturer states that it needs to be replaced after any accident. Assuming that they are cooperative about it, they will likely get you to submit a receipt for your new car seat and will then send you a check to reimburse you for it. They may also require proof of what your previous seat is worth and may require photos of your crashed seat destroyed.

Glad that you are all ok!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Is there damage to your car? If so, you'll probably be making a claim anyway, so just ask about replacement. Whether or not they'll replace depends on your policy and your state. Are you in Illinois or California by any chance?

Mom2LeahClaire

Yes I will be making a claim, the car is damaged. And yes I happen to be in IL, the suckiest state in the country. Lol And yes it was like driving on a very bumpy road going 55. We accidentally went off roading. I shouldn't laugh, It could have been so bad. I'm thanking God over and over again today.

Klc92201

I had the insurance company replace my seats in my car when they were not occupied as I didn't trust them. It was a crash under 20 miles a hour but when it comes to car seats I wanted to play it safe. They gave me a hard time about them not being occupied and I told them that I understood but can they say that if we were involved in another crash they would work 100%? I also told them I don't trust it but if you trust the carseats and want the injury to a child on your record because you wanted to save a couple hundred $$, that would be all on the insurance company. I asked for it in writing and then they said oh, we will replace them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC