Amp or turbo booster?

Klc92201

I am very new here and already learned do much. Right now my 7 year old who is 45lbs and 42 inches tall. She is currently in a harmony Cruz backless booster. It was recommended to me that she should be in a high back booster for longer trips as she leans against the door or or sisters car seat and sleeps on longer trips.

What are your booster suggestions? I was thinking of the Amp, Turbobooster or the new Graco highback. Is there anything else I should consider?

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
The Amp doesn't have deep enough head wings to really keep a sleeping child from slumping over. The regular Turbo is okay - not best in class but deep enough for most kids to sleep comfortably. The new Turbo with Safety Surround offers better SIP (side impact protection) and also better sleep support. The Recaro Vivo offers excellent SIP and sleep support but you cannot use it without the back - the Vivo is strictly a highback booster.

We own lots of different boosters for my 8 year old son and the Vivo is definitely his favorite. We like the Harmony Cruz too but he only uses it if he's carpooling with another family.

Is the younger child's carseat in the middle or are both kids seated in the outboard positions of the vehicle? I ask because you mentioned that she leans against her sister's carseat to sleep on longer trips.

Klc92201

Ok let me first say that I am so off on her height. She is 45lbs and 47.5 inches tall. LOL!! Sorry about that.

Normally both are on the outbound but on trips we have to move the Britax Blvd to the middle as my 4 year old gets carsick. So then my 7 year old is in the backless Harmony Cruz and either leans against the door or the carseat.

Is the Harmony Cruz good for daily use when she isn't sleeping? Or should I have her in a highback booster for daily use as well? How tall do the highback boosters go?

Maybe I should just leave her in the Cruz? We only go on a trip once every 3 or 4 month maybe even longer where she would be sleeping in the car.

heather

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
47.5" makes a lot more sense for a 7 year old! Lol. I was thinking she was really petite!

There are still plenty of highback and dual mode (highback and backless) boosters on the market that would accommodate her and give her plenty of room to grow in. Personally, I like the extra side impact protection and sleep support for my 8 year old even though he rarely sleeps in the car anymore.

It's really up to you at this point to decide where your comfort level is on this issue. I wouldn't judge you for just keeping the Cruz since you both like it. As long as it is positioning the seatbelt properly then it's doing its job. As for longer trips where she is likely to sleep - you could just put a pillow between her and the Blvd and encourage her to lean that way when she gets tired.

It is possible that a highback booster may not fit next to the Blvd when the Blvd is in the center seating position. If you decide you want a HBB - make sure you try it side-by-side next to the Blvd in your vehicle before you throw away the receipt. HTH! Good luck!

Kat_Momof3

the cruz is fine for daily trips as long as it gives her a good belt fit. For longer trips, though, she needs headwings to keep her upright and in position until she learns to stay that way on her own while sleeping (and yes, it does happen... it looks freaky, but it happens... my boys can sleep bolt upright... they put their head on their shoulder or they tilt their heads back and face up to the ceiling to sleep.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC