Harmony booster?

Klc92201

I am new to this community and am amazed at all the thought that is put into boosters. My Dd got her first one in kindergarten it was a cheep high back booster. Then recently we bought a Harmony juvenile no back booster but the seat belt came across my Dd neck in my new car. So about a week ago I got her a new harmony booster that is deeper but sits up higher and corrects the seat belt across her neck.

After reading here tonight, I'm thinking I should have done some research. Anyone used these? I figured she didn't need the high back anymore.

ADS

jacqui276

Hi and welcome! :)

How old is your daughter? For younger booster riders, a lot of people here prefer high back boosters (and even for some of the older booster riders) since it can sometimes help kids sit better and it potentially may give them some increase in protection in a car accident (although this is more an individual's comfort level rather than research based). With a low back booster (and some high back boosters), you do need to ensure though that she has proper head support (a head rest/seat back at or above the tops of her ears).

The most important part about a booster seat is that it positions the seat belt correctly on the child (shoulder strap not across their neck, but also not falling off their shoulder; lap belt down towards the top of their thighs rather than across their belly). Different boosters work better for different kids and more expensive is not always better. Some of the low back boosters also come with a belt positioner that is attached to the seat to thread the shoulder strap through so that it is positioned better on the shoulder of the child.

If you are wondering about the fit of your particular booster with your child, you can post a photo and some of the car seat techs can take a peak and let you know if it looks like it fits properly (you can blank out her face if that makes you more comfortable).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks for stopping by car-seat.org! In addition to your daughter's age, can you give us an idea of her height/weight? Also, which model Harmony did you have fit issues with and which model do you have now? Lastly, why did you move her out of the high back booster? (i.e. outgrown, expired, some other reason)

Klc92201

Oh sorry! She is 7.5, weighs 45lbs and is about 42 inches tall.

She was in a Harmony juvenile and that is the one that in my new car the shoulder strap came across her neck. My daughter also complained it was small and she could tip it over by moving it side to side.

So then she saw the new Harmony Cruz and it is deeper and lets her sit up higher so the strap is across her shoulder.

She was in an evenflo's high back booster but after we had lice last spring I washed the cover and ruined it. My daughter complained that it was ugly and the plastic hurt. She sits well in a booster during daily trips. When we went on vacation she did lay against the door to sleep. I think she would fight me if I put her back in a high back booster.

In my car she does have a head rest behind her head.

Should I get her something else? I want her to be safe.

Klc92201

Oh I drive a 2012 VW Passat which does have side curtain airbags.

And when I say she could move the harmony juvenile ( the first on) side to side that was when she was sitting on it and buckled in.

Kat_Momof3

fight or not, it's not safe for her to lean against the door when sleeping. I would get a Graco Turbobooster and let her ride backless on short trips and put the back on during long trips... and put my foot down. It's a safety issue... they can complain all they want, I don't care.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Just FYI - laying your head against the vehicle door or window in a vehicle with side curtain airbags is a big no-no because it puts the head in the deployment zone of the airbag. The curtains deploy down from the roof pillar and you don't want to be smacked on the top of the head by that thing when it happens.

If she doesn't normally sleep in the car and both of you are happy with the Harmony Cruz then I see no reason to return it and get something else. However, next time you go on vacation or on a long road trip where you know she is likely to fall asleep - you are going to want to figure something out so that she can sleep and still stay in an upright position.

Last edited:

Klc92201

Ok just measured my 7 year old as my DH says she is taller than I think. She measures 47.5 inches. So does that make a difference with using a highback booster or a low back one.

I will make sure she doesn't lean against the door anymore, I didn't even think about the airbags. What would you suggest for trips which we don't do but every 4 to 6 months.

Heather

Kat_Momof3

that's pretty average height for that age... I'd use a highback booster for those trips... a turbobooster doesn't cost that much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC