What to do with a 34lb 4 year old?

Klc92201

Our Dd turned 4 in June and weighs 34lbs We have hired a sitter that will have to drive my oldest to her activities after school. In my car our 4 year old sits in a britax blvd, which is 4 years old as well. In my husbands car, she sits in the britax Frontier.

We both use the car sets in both of our cars daily. He akes her to school and she rides with me to go and pick up from the after school activities. I had just thought a high back booster would work but I see the recommend weight is now 40lbs. What is a good higher weight car seat that is under a $100.

I saw a alpha omega at Costco today for $89.99? Or one of the evenflo's? I feel like they are cheep seats as I am a huge britax fan.

ADS

skylinphoto

Hi, if I needed a spare or back up seat for my 28lb 4 year old, id pick up an evenflo meastro. Its a good, lightweight, forward facing harnessed seat that's inexpensive.

autumnlily

I'd definitely recommend a combination seat (harness now and is a booster later).

If you can stretch your budget just a tad - the graco nautilus is quite a nice seat and it's sturdiness, harness straps and tightening mechanism is more like the Britax seats then the evenflo seats.

That being said, I LOVE our evenflo maestro's as our back up seats as they are lighter and fit my tiny girls well (also 4 years, one twin is 32 lbs and one is 34 lbs).

Klc92201

So no to the alpha omega? Is the bravo nautilus really worth the extra money? Seems they are anywhere from $50 to $60 more. I plan on installing this seat in her car and she isn't taking it out.

Brianna

The Alpha Omega is a rear facing, forward facing and booster seat in one. Depending on the model you're looking at, it possibly has very short top harness slots (some you can only use the top headrest setting in booster mode) and a low weight limit, and may have already been outgrown by height as a harnessed seat. It should never be used as a booster because of how terribly it positions the seat belt.

If you'd like to stay around $80, the Evenflo Maestro is your best bet. Once that's outgrown or once she's booster ready in a year or two- most kids are by age 6- then you can switch to a booster like the Graco highback Turbo booster.

Klc92201

What about a car seat that doesn't turn into a booster. I think I like the boosters that were not harnessed boosters as they are slimmer and not as bulky. Any suggestions there under $100.

Also if I went slightly over $100 what would you suggest in a forward facing seat? Harnessed combo booster? Etc?

Kat_Momof3

definitely the maestro. It's just such a good seat for the price and will last your child until she's ready for a dedicated booster in another 2 yrs.

Klc92201

Thanks everyone! I'm off to find the Maestro today. I think my walmart, target and BRU carry it. I am so appreciative of everyone suggestions. What is embarrassing is that I used to be a certified carseat tech back before I had my 7 year old and worked for a car dealership. After my 4 year old was born I bought a frontier for my oldest who was then 3.5. and a Blvd for my then infant. I haven't paid attention to much of anything since. Funny I can still install a car seat like no other but when it comes to the new ways and boosters I'm clueless. LOL!!

Heather

Klc92201

Well seems I need to rethink what seet to buy. So the sitter came over and her car doesn't have tethers or anchors. I actually could not find the maestro so I put my britax blvd in her car. It was suggested to me to leave the blvd in her car and get me a knew one since it is already four years old. Now what do you suggest? It will be a seat that is used full time.

smackeen

What car is she driving?

2001 and up should have anchors and tether. If it is an older car, you should be able to get a top tether retrofitted and just use a seatbelt to install the seat.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Lower anchors are not required to install a car seat. The seat belt is just as safe when done properly. I would prefer to see forward facing seats tethered but they have to pass testing untethered as well. If you have a Target store nearby, they carry the Maestro in the store.

As far as which seat to use in each vehicle, I don't think it really matters. If she thinks one seat is more comfortable, that could be in the main car and the other seat in the lesser used car. We don't have any evidence that one is safer than the other.

Klc92201

She drives a 1999 Honda Accord. I guess I could ask her to get it retro fitted but I think it might be easier to let her keep my britax blvd and for me to get a new seat. It will be used daily.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Honestly, if you don't want to have her retrofit, I would put the Blvd back in your car - where it can be tethered - and get a seat with a lower center of gravity for her vehicle. Untethered, high profile seats make me very nervous.

Most combination seats (Maestro, Nautilus) would fit that criteria, as would the Britax Frontier and Recaro Prosport. Those two are pricier, but have a serpentine (long) belt path, which assists with reducing head excursion in situations where seats cannot be tethered.

amanny

I agree on the untethered, high profile seats causing some concern.

The Graco Nautilus did very well untethered.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Because this has been asked before, I'm going to link one of Jeanum's great posts on it. I'm not yet out of bed and reconnecting with my LATCH manual.

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=836022&postcount=3

As I recall, though, the kit for a retrofit is $13, and takes the average adult about 10 minutes to install themselves. Honda has really made it easy.

I agree with the Maestro in the sitter's car. Just use the seatbelt to install, and top tether if she gets one.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC