Need help writing a letter to AAA Via magazine -- awful child safety advice

calihannah

The latest issue of the California AAA magazine "Via" has this awful page of child safety "tips" -- really terrible info on what parents "should" do to keep their children safe at every age and stage -- they completely skip convertible car seats and encourage boostering way too soon:

272863_10151030394133671_539330743_o.jpg

I'd like to write to the editor to encourage them to give better info. What would you say in a letter?

ADS

jjordan

There is a very small amount of good advice there.

What the heck is a AAA certified technician?!?

I guess, if you're writing a letter, it should at least address each of the glaring mistakes in the article. Maybe highlight the NHTSA seat progression (in contrast to the article's stages).

Athena

"4 OR 40" Huh? I've only ever heard it said 4 AND 40. They can't even get the minimums stated correctly. Ugh!

Good for you for writing to them! Including the NHTSA steps and AAP's guidelines would be good, as well as informing them of the existence of convertible seats, since few toddlers will make it to 2yo in an infant seat, certainly not happily since most want to be more upright before then.

creideamh

Epic. Fail.

I know a couple people in my tech class worked for AAA... that was the only reason they were taking the class. I should have asked for details!!

julia94115

I just read and noticed this same thing yesterday in my Via mag. :thumbsdown:

Fantastic that you're moving on it!!
Thanks!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
There is a very small amount of good advice there.

What the heck is a AAA certified technician?!?

I guess, if you're writing a letter, it should at least address each of the glaring mistakes in the article. Maybe highlight the NHTSA seat progression (in contrast to the article's stages).

I'm a CPST and I'm employed by an AAA certified repair shop? Maybe it's me!!! lol

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
AAA used to do certifications. I don't know when they stopped. Before I took my class six years ago. Safe Kids was and is the only option now. But maybe 10 years ago? Eight? Fifteen? I really don't know. Just "before" and "used to."

So there are AAA certified techs, those who are certified by Safe Kids who work for AAA, but none that AAA has certified recently.

Unless they're talking about the eight hour or two day "checker" classes? Not sure if AAA does those, but they're not certified technicians. Not sure what they are besides "checkers" and I've not heard great advice from them.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC