Question WWYD with almost 10 year old

mlohry

So we had to get a loaner 2012 Accord as our Ody is being repainted due to a recall where the paint is flaking off :( Anyway, we have the loaner for about 1 week. We have a S4M and 2 Amps. I can only get 1 Amp in. I have the S4M RF driver side and 1 Amp passenger side. I can't get the 2nd Amp in the middle. Oldest DS is close to 10, average height, kind of 5 steps, not perfect, but probably acceptable in the middle. Other option is put him up front with smart air bags in his Amp. I am not willing to buy new seats for a week. TIA.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What about S4M middle, boosters outboard?

Post a pic to see if he 5-steps -- if not -- I'd prefer boostered up front to improper fit in the back, but others may disagree.

sirrahn

Post a pic to see if he 5-steps -- if not -- I'd prefer boostered up front to improper fit in the back, but others may disagree.

I agree that to me, up front with a booster is better than poor fit in the back. I had to do the same thing once when our van was in the shop. I have 4 kids so absolutely no choice when we all had to go...DS1 wasn't quite 10 at the time.

New car with smart airbags, the seat slid back and proper seatbelt fit from the booster really doesn't concern me much. Airbags are dangerous to out of position passengers which would be small unboostered children with their face directly in front of the airbag and a bad seatbelt fit.

mlohry

Carrie_R said:
What about S4M middle, boosters outboard?

I could try that. This car does not allow anything close to the doors. There is a good size over hang of the seat when any booster or car seat is placed on it. Not sure if they do that for safety because of side air bags or what. You lose a good 2-3 inches because of the seats not being able to be right by the doors.

Kat_Momof3

ah... sounds like side bolsters that interfere sometimes.

I would try a cosco top side... it's more narrow and sits lower... it may solve your issue.

leighi123

Get a different loaner car? I had a loaner when we had some repairs done on our car and it smelled like smoke (YUCK!), I complained and they just gave me another car.

momtoo3

It may not be a popular choice, but if you have ever FF your 3 yr old, could you try the S4M FF in the middle with the amps on either side? That is the only way we can make it work in dh's malibu, except instead of the S4M we have a MR. The S4M sits up sort of high like the MR so it could work.

mlohry

momtoo3 said:
It may not be a popular choice, but if you have ever FF your 3 yr old, could you try the S4M FF in the middle with the amps on either side? That is the only way we can make it work in dh's malibu, except instead of the S4M we have a MR. The S4M sits up sort of high like the MR so it could work.

Today I had to do a 3 across with the kids. My friend brought my oldest to church and we were supposed to go to a place together. I was going to have her take my oldest in her car as he had been with her, but she had an emergency come up and couldn't take him. My mom was also with us, so I had to have the 3 kids in back. Both boosters would not fit, so I put ODS in the middle no booster and it was a pretty decent fit. A little high on the neck, but the lap belt was acceptable and his feet totally could touch the floor. The biggest issue was RF DD kept kicking him in the face or putting her feet behind his head! It was bad! She has never had someone so close to her so she was totally acting up and we were in the car for over an hour. Anyway, at 3.6 years I'm going to FF her temporarily if we have to do that again. Otherwise I'll put ODS in the front in the Amp if it's just me and the kids. For sure not buying a car anytime soon! Give me back my van!! Good thing this is just for a week!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC