HEIGHT or WEIGHT?

G

guest1

Last question, I PROMISE.

Right now my daughter is 15 months, 32" and 25.9lbs.

I'm not sure the percentiles so I'm not sure if those are low, normal, or high.

We currently have a Radian RXT and am getting a TFP for my in-laws car, and am thinking about possibly selling our Radian RXT and getting a TFP for my car, too.)

I know that Radian is better for high weight and TFP is better as the shell is taller, but I have no idea if my daughter is high in terms of height or weight, so I'm not sure which way I would lean towards.

What would you do if you had a LO the size of mine?

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
If I had a LO who was 26 pounds at 15 months, I wouldn't be confident that a 35 pound RF seat would get me to an age that I would be comfortable for forward-facing, so I would hang onto the Radian. :twocents: The True Fit may be tall, but with a 45 pound RF weight limit and decently tall shell, I think the Radian would last longer for RF. While a True Fit might be sufficient, where you already own a seat that will last 10 pounds longer RF, I personally would want to keep it just in case. :)

jacqui276

Based on the WHO/CDC growth charts, she is roughly 90th percentile for height and weight.

I like both seats, but for being that high in the percentiles for weight, I would probably hang onto the Radian like the PP said for the extra 10lbs RFing.

armywife12

I'm basing this off my personal experience. I would not go with a 35lb rf weight limit with all of these 40lb seats available and a child that is already almost 26lbs at 15mo. My son was the exact same weight at that age and outgrew his True Fit in weight at 26mo old. The True Fit is one of my favorite seats but I only recommend it for lightweight children. Your child will outgrow rf in weight first

Oh, and after purchasing several seats to keep him rf (because he kept hitting the weight limits of seats) we ended up purchasing the Radian XTSL to rf him beyond 3 yrs old. He outgrew it in height and weight at 3.5yrs old. I'm not a fan of the seat, personally, but it's what was needed to keep him rf. If my daughter was as big, I'd probably opt for the Foonf or the Viaggio over the Radian these days though lol.

Brianna

J was 25 pounds at 12 months and hit 35 pounds around 22 months. If I were you I would definitely get a 40 RF seat.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

I'd keep the Radian for your vehicle, definitely.
How long do you plan to RF? What is your "goal"?
The TFP is a nice seat, but the 35lb RF limit can be an issue if you want to ERF, especially with a big toddler.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

V

VanIsleMommy

unless I'm mistaken, the radian is currently the tallest seat on the market is it not? I would keep the radian, both for the weight and height.

if it helps, my son outgrew his true fit at 2.5 but is 4 in a month and still in the radian with room to grow. he's average height and weight. his weight gain slowed at 2 and he stopped growing in torso and started growing legs finally.

Brianna

Tallest is Size4Me (I know you don't have it there yet) then True Fit then Radian. Of course the height on the True Fit only helps for a slender child.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

G

guest1

Thanks for the advice. Looks like we will stick with our RXT.

tiggercat, my goal is her 5th birthday. I know that seems almost impossible right now but I am hoping that she slows down now that she is over one and I will happily buy the size for me when it becomes available here

tiggercat

l1i2v3 said:
Thanks for the advice. Looks like we will stick with our RXT.

tiggercat, my goal is her 5th birthday. I know that seems almost impossible right now but I am hoping that she slows down now that she is over one and I will happily buy the size for me when it becomes available here

In that case, definitely stick with the RXT. It is not impossible, just depends on her growth pattern and proportions. My daughter could have RF'd to about 4.5 or 5 in the Radian (she turned at 2 and 30lb because we only had 30lb RF seats in Canada at that time). She was 24lb at a year and fairly tall so similar to your daughter.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC