Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Mazda 5 with two rearfacing + one foward facing carseats

Hi! I'm looking for advices... I have a 2006 Mazda 5 and I need to fit 3 carseats. I have a forward facing carseat, and I need to fit two more rear-facing for my twins due in October.
    I have the graco nautilus for my toddler, and for my twins I have two graco snugride 35 which I don't think they can be until they are two years old. So I'm just going ahead and looking for solutions for when the twins start to get too big for the snugrides... I briefly looked at a britax, but it was so big!

Right now I have it set up so my toddler is right behind the driver, and the two infants are in the third row, and no carseats right next to my toddler, that way I can get to all 3 of them from the curbside door.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I'm ok with moving where the carseats are in the car, and not sure which carseats to switch to when the twins are too big for the snugrides...

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Mazda 5 with two rearfacing + one foward facing carseats

Just about anything will fit rear facing in there, so I wouldn't worry about that. Your setup now sounds good. Just load the babies through the trunk. I'm not sure why you said they couldn't be in the Snugrides until they're two, unless you meant they couldn't stay in them until they're two. They can, if they fit. But they should stay rear facing long beyond two, ideally. Two is the absolute bare minimum forward facing recommendation, and has not been the recommendation since 2002, when the AAP said to rear face to the maximum limits of the convertible carseat. In 2011 they say two is the bare minimum, not the maximum, a child should stay rear facing. And if you're now wondering, yes it is possible and easy to get three rear facers in the Mazda5, if you'd like advice on turning your toddler back to the safest way to travel.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785