Renting car seats while away

Baylor

I thought the 1 inch rule rfing was to protect from the ramping up?

Ive seen a few CPST counsel against forgoing he 1 inch rule.

I don't think I would use it with less that 1 in rfing.. Why not just use it ff? There is a big step between rfing and booster..

ADS

PeachyPie

No no! The issue is whether to buy a booster for my DD (who's almost 4, 40 lbs and 42" tall) OR to buy a seat that will RF for my baby (who's almost 1, 28 lbs and 32" tall). I bought the booster for DD, thinking that DS was already too tall (in the torso) for the Guide65, but apparently he's still okay. So I think I might return the TB that I bought for DD, and buy the G65 for him instead. Whoever I don't buy the seat for will have their current seat brought from home and installed on the airplane.

Brianna

I thought the 1 inch rule rfing was to protect from the ramping up?

Ive seen a few CPST counsel against forgoing he 1 inch rule.

I don't think I would use it with less that 1 in rfing.. Why not just use it ff? There is a big step between rfing and booster..

Right, but Dorel seats allow the head to be level with the top of the seat/headrest depending as long as the child is under the stated height limit. As I said, a more conservative approach would be to ensure he has 1" of space over his head.

Baylor

No no! The issue is whether to buy a booster for my DD (who's almost 4, 40 lbs and 42" tall) OR to buy a seat that will RF for my baby (who's almost 1, 28 lbs and 32" tall). I bought the booster for DD, thinking that DS was already too tall (in the torso) for the Guide65, but apparently he's still okay. So I think I might return the TB that I bought for DD, and buy the G65 for him instead. Whoever I don't buy the seat for will have their current seat brought from home and installed on the airplane.

gotcha...

Well whether it is allowed or not, I don't think I would not follow the 1 inch rule. Not in reading all I have here.

Maybe wait for a tech to chime in again..

Brianna

She was measuring from the shell though, not the headrest. He'll have more than 1" above his head when considering the headrest.

PeachyPie

Yes I was measuring 1" to the shell, not the head rest. Anyone know how high the headrest goes up? If it goes up an inch or two above the shell, then it should be okay for a while.

Baylor

She was measuring from the shell though, not the headrest. He'll have more than 1" above his head when considering the headrest.

Thanks for explaining that. I know I don't understand it all but some things stand out to me as not a good idea as per what I have learned here.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Baylor said:
gotcha...

Well whether it is allowed or not, I don't think I would not follow the 1 inch rule. Not in reading all I have here.

Maybe wait for a tech to chime in again..

If the manufacturer okays it then I'm okay with it. The manufacturer is the one that tested it and set the rule. I think that should override a rule of thumb.

hrice

Well that changes everything. Maybe I'll return the TB then! So can his head just not go above those headwings that move up? I wish I could have read the manual before going there!!

Yes. The headrest moves up and he can continue to RF in it until his head is level with the top of the headrest in it's highest position.

Definitely return the Turbobooster. It is not an appropriate option for a 3 year old.

I commend you for putting so much thought and effort into this. Many do not.

Baylor

monica-m said:
If the manufacturer okays it then I'm okay with it. The manufacturer is the one that tested it and set the rule. I think that should override a rule of thumb.

Thanks. This is how I learn.

auto correct hates me

PeachyPie

Thank you all!! Seriously I can't believe how difficult this stuff is sometimes, haha.

I returned the Turbo Booster and bought the Guide65. Thank you to everyone who explained to me that you can keep using it past the height of the shell RF. I'm really happy with my decision now :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm glad you're comfortable with a lap baby. If a 20 pound baby came and hit my child in her seat at 150 mph, that's 3,000 pounds of force. I wouldn't be comfortable with my now dead child who was properly protected. A lap baby doesn't affect just you and your family. If your baby isn't a projectile, they're your airbag. But you stated you're comfortable with that.

Now that you have a travel seat for both kids, I'd buy another ticket and use both seats on board. Ignoring your baby's safety, save someone else's life.

The FAA doesn't recommend lap babies.

Quote:
Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in a government-approved child restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap?

The AAP doesn't recommend lap babies.

Quote:
Occupant protection policies for children younger than 2 years on aircraft are inconsistent with all other national policies on safe transportation. Children younger than 2 years are not required to be restrained or secured on aircraft during takeoff, landing, and conditions of turbulence. They are permitted to be held on the lap of an adult. Preventable injuries and deaths have occurred in children younger than 2 years who were unrestrained in aircraft during survivable crashes and conditions of turbulence. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a mandatory federal requirement for restraint use for children on aircraft. The Academy further recommends that parents ensure that a seat is available for all children during aircraft transport and follow current recommendations for restraint use for all children.

From: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/108/5/1218.full (2001, btw).

The NTSB (National Traffic Safety Board) doesn't recommend lap babies.

Quote:
Chairman Hersman stated, "We appreciate the FAAC acknowledging the dangers associated with children flying on their parents' laps, but we would have preferred to see the FAA be mandated to require that every person including our youngest children be restrained appropriately for their age and size." She continued, "We know that the safest place for children younger than age two traveling on airplanes is in an appropriate child safety seat. The era of the lap child on airplanes should come to an end."

And as a tech, I don't recommend lap babies. For my safety, for the safety of MY children, for your child's safety, and for your safety.

While I consider people who don't restrain their kids in the car to be sad, I consider people who don't restrain their babies on planes dangerous to me and mine. It's rather rude. Sort of like pointing a gun for a few hours. It may or may not go off, the chances are good that it won't, but just in case, ummm, please don't point a gun at me.

Wendy

Athena

Wow. Thanks for all the great quotes and references. It really makes you think. I hadn't quite thought about it in this way before.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
wendytthomas said:
I'm glad you're comfortable with a lap baby. If a 20 pound baby came and hit my child in her seat at 150 mph, that's 3,000 pounds of force. I wouldn't be comfortable with my now dead child who was properly protected. A lap baby doesn't affect just you and your family. If your baby isn't a projectile, they're your airbag. But you stated you're comfortable with that.

The links you provided were great. I'm not a fan of lap babies, either, and I would also encourage parents to buy a ticket. However, I don't think the tone here is likely to win over many people.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm happy you're putting some thought into it. It's so common that most people don't even give it the first thought you did, nevermind the second thought.

And I do apologize for my tone. I'm jetlagged after a very long day of travel yesterday (hit three out of the four corners of the US, though!), and after seeing many lap babies, worrying about them and me and my kids, and watching carseats being checked and therefore crashed (since you can no longer trust a lifesaving device that has been out of your control and given to the not so gentle baggage handlers), the post was very fresh in my experiences. I also nearly got to travel with two dogs (long story, but we ended up delayed a day), and I don't think one of them was in a carrier either. Cute, but the airbag/projectile rule goes for anything not strapped down (which is why they make you put away your laptop and book, so you don't get hurt on it, and no one else does as well. That's why the coffeepot is strapped down. Even the soap in the lav). So I worried about the dog who wasn't in a crate on board with us. The second dog was in a soft sided carrier and was going to go under the seat in front, which is safe. That actually used to be the recommendation with a lap baby in an emergency. Wrap them in a blanket and put them under the seat in front of you. Padding and compartmentalization.

The NTSB has been advocating for at least 22 years to do away with lap babies. Because the argument of "If it wasn't safe they wouldn't allow it" keeps being perpetuated, and really, it's not. Statistically you're more likely to be in a dangerous crash on the way to the airport than in the air, but properly protected you can walk away from most airplane emergencies as well. If you're not properly protected, though, it can be devastating. Same as in the car.

The other benefits of a carseat on board go well beyond safety. The comfort of not having to share your three cubic inches with someone who doesn't understand, "The seatbelt light is on, you can't move around now," the ability to put your tray down and eat, and the freedom to bend over to reach into your bag at your feet are all much easier to do without someone on your lap. And provided you don't have the literal maniac in your row that I did on my first flight yesterday, you can leave a sleeping baby in their seat and run to the restroom yourself, or do a lap of the plane on a long flight. If you have the maniac, you still call over the flight attendant to stay with your baby a minute while you pee (assuming you're traveling alone, which I do quite often, or with both kids and just me). So even beyond the safety aspects, there are so many great reasons to have three tickets for three people.

Also, a ticketed baby gets any checked and carry on baggage allowance that any other ticketed person gets. I should start with that because when I tell parents that in real life I always hear, "Ooooh." Buy a ticket, save a $25 checked bag fee! hehe But seriously, that can be exciting, and the difference between bringing on board everything you'd like, and having to check just that one little bag that will make things easier.

And so you know a carseat will not count as a carry on. I should have taken pictures of us yesterday. My husband and I had roller suitcases. Piper had a smaller roller suitcase. I had my backpack. That was our luggage/carry on, and it was within the allowed limits to carry on. Then we had Laine's Coccoro strapped to my suitcase, I had the base to a Monterey on my handles, and my husband had the back to the Monterey on his handle. But since the carseats don't count, it all came on board and got used/stowed.

** we don't travel with a Monterey. It wasn't horrid, but I don't recommend it. I got it while we were on our trip for free, so we had to find a way to get it home and this was better for us than shipping it.

HTH! Again, sorry for my tone. I'm remarkably tired and jetlagged and really should have re-read what I said.

Wendy

PeachyPie

Okay so it looks like this isn't going to work. My DH is really mad that I bought another seat for DS when he doesn't need one. I think I'm going to have to return it.

He doesn't want to do the drive to Target to pick up a new seat since we're short on time as it is either. Maybe if someone could tell me where the nearest Walmart/Target is to the airport we could figure that out though. That would really be the best option but I'm kind of scared to be in a new city and undoubtedly it would be me who would have to go get it because *I* am the one who doesn't want to check our seat.

Sooo, how is the best way to check a seat if you have to? Bubble wrap? Then what? And can you ask to take it to the gate with you? Or do you HAVE to give it to them at the baggage check? Please don't judge me for this... I know it's all not the safest thing, there are ways to do this safer. I just need to figure out how to get the seats we currently have there in the safest way possible (with one checked).

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you travel often? If so, a dedicated travel seat that's lightweight and easy to maneuver is really wonderful. It's nice to arrive home at midnight (actual time or body time) and to not have to reinstall the seat at home. Or conversely, when we have an early morning flight I don't need to uninstall a seat at 4:30 a.m., I just grab the seat from the trunk.

Also, having a spare around the house is nice in case of a crash, or your one car with seats is gone and you need to do something in an emergency and you get a ride/take a cab. Or baby pukes and you need to spend the day letting the main cover dry, but you do need to go out while that happens.

So, while having a spare seat is not a *need*, and I can see his point, I would hope he could see another point that having a spare for travel or just around the house is really quite nice. You might find that it gets used more than you think. I'd buy seats for travel, then use them in three across situations with friends, or for field trips where I'd drive a bunch of kids. That way I'd install all the seats and it didn't matter what seats the parents brought, if any. Or a friend could be dropped off and we could go out without having to call the parent back to drop off a seat.

As for checking a seat, the best way would be bubble wrap or some sort of protection, in the box, at the gate. That reduces the number of tosses the carseat will be submitted to, and it will offer padding and a crumple zone. Just like a car offers us and a carseat offers our kids.

Another option is to call the airline and see if there are seats available for those flights. If so, explain your situation and ask about a discount for a ticket for him. That way everyone's seats get used on board. If the seat isn't going to sell, and he and his seat are going to be on the plane, they're going to use the same fuel or not, so it's nice to get *some* money for it, even if it's not full price. So you could run it that way. I've heard of people having that work. And of course, in this day and age, I've heard of it not working. Either the plane is sold out or the airline won't budge much on price.

With any seats in the airport (gate checking or not, even boosters being carried so they're safe on the other side), try to get wheels under them. A folding luggage cart, put them in a stroller, rent a cart at the airport, Traveling Toddler, etc. Anything to make it easier. They're big and bulky, and having wheels to just haul them around really makes their weight and size a non-issue. Especially if you have a seat in a box. That doesn't even have a harness or shell to grab to carry.

Wendy

PeachyPie

Wendy, thank you so much for your post! It's definitely food for thought. Though of course I'm beyond sick of thinking about this by now haha. I just want to make a decision, I feel so indecisive!

I slept on it (well, as much as you can sleep on something with a baby waking up all night) and I do think that taking the new boxed seat may still be the best option. I think with DH it's best to just not talk about these things with him, LOL! I'm sure if he told me about all of his purchases I'd get mad too. It's not like we don't have the money. It's just that he feels it's a waste of money while meanwhile I don't feel it is at all.

I'd like to keep the seat for my mom's house, I'm going back to work very soon and it would be nice to have her able to come over with a car fully equipped for both kids if ever there was that need.

I was looking at the US Airways site last night and it said if you have a lap baby you're entitled to one car seat or stroller for free http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/baggagepolicies.html

Does that mean I can't bring his car seat and a stroller for free, even if I gate check the stroller too? I've always been able to bring a stroller as well and gate check it without it being counted as a bag (therefore not having to pay). But then again I have only ever flown within Canada or down south with kids, never to the States on a US carrier.

ETA: I will also for sure call the airline and talk to them about this, as well as ask them about how packed the flight is. Thanks for that suggestion!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If they say one, they usually do mean one. So if you take both and check both you may end up paying a fee to check the second.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC