I'm getting certified next week...

mrosehughes

... Anything I should know for the class? I'm planning to cut my nails short since I've hurt myself a few times installing DS's seats with longer nails.

ADS

Brianna

Yay! I'm not a tech so I obviously haven't been through training but I know I've read a lot of good threads here on that. The only thing that I remember is wearing conservative clothing as you'll be doing lots of bending over.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
A change of clothes is nice depending on where you are. My class was HOT and I definitely appreciated having a dry shirt to change in to after being in hot cars wrestling with carseats.

Dmcj13

If necessary clean out your car! I didn't think about the fact that people would be crawling all around my van, moving seats etc. and I would have felt better about it if I had gotten my kids junk out and swept the crumbs up.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Clean out your vehicle, bring your vehicle owners manual to class, wear reasonable and comfortable clothing, check your local forecast each morning and be prepared to be outside in all types of weather.

On day one you will probably barely touch a carseat but start memorizing this now: ELR + Sewn On Latchplate = Belt Shortening Clip! (This will make sense to you next week). ;)

Have Fun!!!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Kecia said:
but start memorizing this now: ELR + Sewn On Latchplate = Belt Shortening Clip!

And then also memorize, "But the odds of actually encountering this scenario outside of this class are essentially nil." :p

(I probably just jinxed myself there.)

No slip-in shoes that could fall off easily (crocs, flip-flops, etc.)

Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses. Remove jewelry. Trim nails. No butt or boob cleavage. That's about it.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Bring water. If you get cold in air conditioning, bring a light jacket or sweatshirt because there will be long periods in the classroom, especially on day 1. Read the test questions carefully before choosing your answer.

mrosehughes

First day is tomorrow! Thanks so much for your answers -- I never would've thought to clean out my car, but it was a great excuse to send DH to the car wash!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And then also memorize, "But the odds of actually encountering this scenario outside of this class are essentially nil." :p

I encountered it a few weeks ago for the first time since class. I had to meet up with an instructor to show me how to do it again. I haven't actually installed it yet (it's a long story that may or may not yet have a happy ending, and I'm still not certain what way the happy part would go).

Wendy

mrosehughes

Kecia said:
On day one you will probably barely touch a carseat but start memorizing this now: ELR + Sewn On Latchplate = Belt Shortening Clip! (This will make sense to you next week). ;)

Have Fun!!!

We got to that yesterday -- they aren't actually testing us on installing with a belt shortening clip although there will be test questions about it.

chimpmandee said:
How has class been going? :)

It's going very well! I know a whole lot of what's in the course but am learning more; the belt differences were the newest part for me. I'm the only person taking the class for whom it's purely a hobby, although there are a handful of folks doing it to aid they're job even though it's above and beyond what they need to do (one of the guys is a cab driver, and wants to know more for his company, which I think is cool!)

So far, I'm very glad I'm taking it. I like having the reference, and like getting in the cars and figuring out the seat/car fits that work best. My first check is Thursday, so we'll see whether I like that (I'm probably a bit more introverted than ideal for a tech).

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Oh, don't be concerned about a natural tendency toward introversion. I'm one of the most introverted people you'd ever meet, but you'd never know it when I get to talking about car seats! It's amazing what a passion about a subject can do to bring you out of your shell. I feel absolutely no nervousness about getting up in front of a classroom to teach, as long as it's about car seats! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC