Installing Heavy-Weight Anchors

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Sub-titled: The Saga Continues ;)

Okay, this is my last-ditch attempt to finally "fix" the seat belt issue in the rear row of my '07 Mazda5 (chronicled here). (Please forgive my obsessiveness! I'm sure you're all as tired of hearing about this as my dh.)

I'm trying to install the heavy-weight anchor required for using the 86Y harness on children over the vehicle's tether weight limit (which Mazda doesn't comment on, but I'm assuming is 65lbs). I know that EZ-On is probably where I'll get an answer, but they've had to bump me up the ladder straight to the owner, which is understandably taking some time. I'd also like any opinions from other techs in any case.

I pried the cover off the vehicle's tether anchor. Here are before & after shots:

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

The vehicle tether is on the back of the seat. Looking at the second picture, it is possible to install the heavy-weight anchor through the square hole above the tether hook. This would require cutting off the vehicle tether because otherwise it would be in the way, but other than that it fits fine. Here's what we can feel but not see in the pic: The ends of the vehicle tether hook go through that metal plate and are welded on to the back of it (that appears to be the weakest point). That metal plate is welded to the back of two thick metal bars, which span the width of the seat and are apparently attached to other bars that span the height of the seat. (If anyone knows how I can remove the cover from the back of the seat without destroying it, so we can see the entire system, I'd love to know how.)

Here are my concerns. The problem is, installing it to this piece still doesn't necessarily make it a heavy-weight anchor, right? I mean, the vehicle tether has a weight limit because at some point it fails - is that because of the hook? Or because of the metal plate?

Thoughts? (Try to sell the car? :rolleyes:)

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I mean, the vehicle tether has a weight limit because at some point it fails - is that because of the hook? Or because of the metal plate?

I can't help with anything else, but I did want to comment on this. The TA has a weight limit because they tested to a certain weight limit (most likely, the minimum required by law, but possibly higher). The odds that you'll get an honest answer from Mazda (or any other vehicle manufacturer) about their actual testing procedure are pretty slim, however, so you have to act based on the premise that anything above the minimum testing limit "failed" the test.

Darren has an engineer's brain, so maybe he'll have some insight on the rest of your issue. After he gets caught up from his vacation. ;)

D

Deborah

(as posted to CPSP List-serve:
All this is contained in the 2007 LATCH Manual. It is against the law to remove a factory-installed tether anchor, so please don't try to do that.

You would have to find another place (see Chapter 6). If you do this, be sure to use a place on the floor of the vehicle. The seat back may not be strong enough for a heavier child.

If you don't have the book, you can purchase from www.saferidenews.com. Or check with a local CPS Technician -- not all have it but they should.

As for your question about failure, see chapter 5 for detailed perspective or find that part on www.saferidenews.com (look in New).
Deborah Stewart
Editor, LATCH Manual

Defrost

Against the law for the owner or the dealer? The dealer just told me he couldn't do anything because HE would be breaking the law, but he said if I messed with it, it was just like adding any after-market product.

There absolutely is no other place. The vehicle body is double-walled in every possible position, with absolutely no way to access the back of the panel. :(

I'll order a LATCH manual today just because I've been wanting, but I don't think it's going to help with my situation.

Thanks for the input!

UlrikeDG

Debbie, I'm flipping through chapters 5 and 6 of my LATCH manual, looking for anything relevant that we may have overlooked before, but it looks like you're already aware of most of it.

The one route that could possibly yeild results if getting a definitive answer from Mazda regarding the weight limits for their TAs. If Mazda were to say, "Oh, we test ours to 200 lb!", you'd be good to go. Otherwise... not seeing much.

UlrikeDG

One other idea: some vehicles have tether anchors mounted to the rear (upper) door frame of the vehicle. Maybe the mechanic could find a good structural place above, rather than below?

Defrost

One other idea: some vehicles have tether anchors mounted to the rear (upper) door frame of the vehicle. Maybe the mechanic could find a good structural place above, rather than below?

The joint for the over-head door is directly above the seat. The only way we could do a ceiling mount, it would be in front of the seat. :(

Defrost

what about the trunk floor? that's not double-walled.

Actually, it is double-walled. The "cargo" space we're working with (I use the term lightly because it's very, very tiny), holds the spare tire. I can take pics if you want, but me, my husband, and my dad have spent hours crawling around under the car and removing every plastic cover in the area to look for a flat metal piece with access to the back, and there just isn't one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC