HBB for chunky kids

kam1011

Which hbb's fit short, chunky kids well? We hear so much about what fits skinny kids well and I never had any trouble picking boosters for my oldest skinny child. My middle child is 4yo and rides harnessed 100% in a SK400/radian/nautilus, but it got me to thinking ahead about booster training and all that with Pre-K starting soon. So I sat him in every booster seat we have and the lap belt was always a little high on his tummy, like the lower belt guides need to be out farther. Best fit was in the HBTB, which in my own non-tech opinion was okay, but not great. So he could thin out a little, but are there any "known" HBB's for chunky kids?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
One thing I have learned dealing with my heavy child, is that there is a big different between the lap belt being on the belly, and the belly being on the lap belt. You want to ignore the middle part and look at the way the belt lays on the hips to both sides of the belly. If the belt is flat there, but turns and is less than flat in the center of the belly, the fit is actually fine. With my DD, I found that if the belt was far enough forward to lay flat in front of her belly, it was way down on her thighs.

kam1011

If he's four and doesn't fit great, keep him harnessed!

Montereys are usually good for solidly built kids.

I am :) This is more of a just wondering sort of thing. I would like to train him around 4.5 for emergencies only. My daughter faced an emergency that resulted in a NBB (to my horror, but really, it was the best case scenario and everyone arrived home safely), so I'd just like to be prepared. I'm not running out to buy anything now. It just got me thinking.

kam1011

I'm going to try to take a picture in the next couple days to see if I'm understanding you right, Safeinthecar. I think what I was noticing it what you're describing. I had surgery this morning so it won't be right away :) BTW, in addition to my son being too young for a booster according to best practice, he's also too short for most, so this is purely just my wandering mind with nothing to do.

Continuing on with my curiosity, are there any other boosters known for being great for chubby kids other than the monterey?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC