Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Community Member

HBB for chunky kids

Which hbb's fit short, chunky kids well? We hear so much about what fits skinny kids well and I never had any trouble picking boosters for my oldest skinny child. My middle child is 4yo and rides harnessed 100% in a SK400/radian/nautilus, but it got me to thinking ahead about booster training and all that with Pre-K starting soon. So I sat him in every booster seat we have and the lap belt was always a little high on his tummy, like the lower belt guides need to be out farther. Best fit was in the HBTB, which in my own non-tech opinion was okay, but not great. So he could thin out a little, but are there any "known" HBB's for chunky kids?
    Kelley - Mom to: DD1 4/25/2006, DS 8/9/08, DD2 9/10/09
    host mom to a 16yo Chinese foreign exchange student
    2011 Toyota Sienna, 2008 Chevrolet Aveo

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: HBB for chunky kids

If he's four and doesn't fit great, keep him harnessed!

Montereys are usually good for solidly built kids.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

4. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

One thing I have learned dealing with my heavy child, is that there is a big different between the lap belt being on the belly, and the belly being on the lap belt. You want to ignore the middle part and look at the way the belt lays on the hips to both sides of the belly. If the belt is flat there, but turns and is less than flat in the center of the belly, the fit is actually fine. With my DD, I found that if the belt was far enough forward to lay flat in front of her belly, it was way down on her thighs.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by carseatcoach View Post
    If he's four and doesn't fit great, keep him harnessed!

Montereys are usually good for solidly built kids.
    I am This is more of a just wondering sort of thing. I would like to train him around 4.5 for emergencies only. My daughter faced an emergency that resulted in a NBB (to my horror, but really, it was the best case scenario and everyone arrived home safely), so I'd just like to be prepared. I'm not running out to buy anything now. It just got me thinking.

7. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

I'm going to try to take a picture in the next couple days to see if I'm understanding you right, Safeinthecar. I think what I was noticing it what you're describing. I had surgery this morning so it won't be right away BTW, in addition to my son being too young for a booster according to best practice, he's also too short for most, so this is purely just my wandering mind with nothing to do.

Continuing on with my curiosity, are there any other boosters known for being great for chubby kids other than the monterey?

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Compass boosters often fit wider kids as well.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart