Question Combi Coccoro in person?

sarasmatic

I am fitting a 36#, 45" 4yo dd and 24lb 1yo twins into a Honda Accord. Recently in an accident so replacing all seats (insurance is reimbursing full cost of replacements, yay!). Got a Nautilus for my 4yo. Tried two different types of Radians in the car at buybuybaby and didn't like how they touched the backs of the front seats when RF (DH and I are tall and sit with the seat backs upright but scooted all the way back). Thinking the Combi Coccoro is about my only other option to fit. The back seat is 54.3" wide, the Nautilus is 19", so I need two seats 17.5" wide or less. The Coccoros are 15", so that gives some breathing room. I'm not too concerned with them not lasting more than a couple of years because in two years our Accord will be paid off and we will then sell it and but my aunt's Pilot, so I'll have room for two more bigger seats. I really really want to see a Coccoro in person before I buy them, though. No one I know has one, and I can't find a store near me that has them in actual stock (Walmart, Target, BRU, Lone Star Baby, or BBB).I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas metro area. So my questions are: Does anyone here have one and live near DFW and would be willing to let me just see it and touch it? Anything you've heard about the Coccoro I should be aware of? Any other recommendations for two 17" or less external seat width convertible seats?

ADS

jjordan

The coccoro is quite short and would almost certainly fit where you need it. However, it is typically outgrown RF around age 2, so you'd be in the same predicament a year from now.

A few other thoughts:
1. Did you try the angle adjuster for the radian? It makes the radian sit more upright when RF and it takes up less front-back space.

2. You could try a RF radian in the center, where it can stick out between the two front seats, and then a non-radian RF for the other twin. Something like a Britax convertible or a Graco MyRide will puzzle nicely with the RF Radian, and also take up less front-back space.

3. The nautilus is quite wide and known for not playing nicely in tight 3-across situations. You might try replacing it with something like an evenflo maestro, or even a FF Radian if your 4 yo dd has some growing room in a Radian harness (which I expect she would, at 45" tall).

sarasmatic

I'm stuck with the Nautilus, because my DH bought it when I was out of town for a day and gave the box to the girls to play with. Needless to say, it's destroyed so I can't return the Nautilus.

krfogle88

How long are your 1 year old's torso's? My petite dd1 fit in the cco rf until about 2.75 year's old. Do you plan to RF them until 3? 4?

I agree with pp, did you try the angle adjuster for the Radian? It changes the recline and could allow the radians to work in your car.

The Nautilus is a beast and I wouldn't recommend it for any three across. I would see about possibly getting a radian for your 4 year old also if she has an average toso. DD1 is 4.5 and a ton of room left in hers. It will last her till at least 5.5 possibly 6.

jayamy

Hi, I normally don't respond because I am definitely no expert. However, I wanted to chime in. I really wanted to love this seat. I purchased it because when my baby came home from hospital se was only 4lbs. In the past with my other 2 kids we did bucket until about 18 mo and them went to the Britax Boulevard. I liked the Combi because I thought it would prolong the purchase of another seat. Plus it allowed me to do 3 across.

Fast forward to now. My daughter is 2yr and 4 months and she weighs 18lbs (she was a preemie) and 29in. She can climb out of this get her arms out. She is also too big for the seat now. Her whole head can move forward. We are still RF and always usually do until 4. Not to mention the fabric is horrible! It looked like I had it a long time after only a couple of this of using.

This is just my personal experience.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
jayamy said:
She can climb out of this get her arms out. She is also too big for the seat now. Her whole head can move forward.

I'm not sure what you mean by these things. If she can get her arms out, it's likely because the harness isn't tight enough or because the straps need to be moved. Are the next set of slots under her shoulders? If so, I'd try moving them up. Sometimes when straps are too low they start to slip off the shoulders. Then again, some kids will find a way to get out of any seat.

What do you mean about her head moving forward?

To the OP, it will really depend on your kids' torso lengths. My DD outgrew the seat right at 2 years, and my DS2 likely won't make it to 2. However, they both have longer-than-average torsos. Some people have gotten their kids to 3 rear-facing in it.

jayamy

I'll check the straps again. I brought it in to the fire dept and they did the install and the said the seat was fine. I feel her head is to exposed if we were to get in an accident but that could all be because she growing out of the seat. The main reason for my comments is since my dd is small for her age not even 20lbs this seat should have lasted longer.

Phineasmama

Also if you go to the Combi website you can use the find a retailer tool, there might be a baby boutique near you that sells them. We have a cloth diaper store in my town that does.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
jayamy said:
I'll check the straps again. I brought it in to the fire dept and they did the install and the said the seat was fine. I feel her head is to exposed if we were to get in an accident but that could all be because she growing out of the seat. The main reason for my comments is since my dd is small for her age not even 20lbs this seat should have lasted longer.

Did they install it or have you install it? Certified techs are supposed to teach the parents to install the seat, not do it for them.

Unless your daughter has less than an inch of shell over her head (at the top), she hasn't outgrown the seat.

kam1011

Try the My Ride with the nautilus. The MR armrests puzzle well over the nautilus' arm rests. The seats don't need to be smaller than 17" if they overlap each other. So it's best to have some seats that sit up higher and others that are lower into the seat.

But I love the Coccoro :) I was sad when my last one outgrew it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC