5 kid deaths mentioned (crash). No restraints

ADS

jacqui276

That is really sad! I hope that some people who read this will learn from incidences like these about how important being properly restrained is.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Someone posted this earlier today, but now I can't find it.

I won't be showing the photos to my kids. I don't know how old your kids are, but mine would be terrified.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
But would the crash have happened at all if there hadn't been 12 people crammed into a 7/8 passenger vehicle? It was grossly overloaded on a hot day and I doubt the tire pressure had been checked. I'm a little surprised, given at how many unrestrained passengers there were, that anyone survived at all.

jgomez411

What kind (if any) information is available for Spanish speaking families? I'm just asking because based on the names, they seem like Spanish names. My DH is Mexican and within the Mexican community, they don't seem to take carseat safety very seriously (FF before a year, using the infant seat when it is way past outgrown or expired, no seat at all when the child should still be harnessed, etc). I know a lot of these families receive WIC but for the short period of time I received it, they never even asked about carseat use (I dont know if they are supposed to but it wouldn't hurt). Does anybody know of somewhere they give out handouts in Spanish about carseat safety because I would really like to help educate DH's family so something like this doesn't happen.
Sorry if that seems totally off topic!

bnsnyde

Yes, it's terrifying to think that off they all go to the waterpark and 5 never make it. But there was total negligence with restraints and passenger capacity.

Mine are 1, 3, 4 and 6. I'm always pointing out crashes and showing them articles/photos. They GET car safety. They would FREAK if a car started without their being harnessed, and they are always pointing out violations to me in other cars, lol. So hopefully these messages will stick with them. That seatbelt saved the 15-year-old, and unhurt? That's incredible!

macmomma

Yup- that was kinda in our neck of the woods! We have been to that waterpark before ..... It is just sad, very sad!

2angels2love

Saw this on the news tonight and it made me sick. So sad! :( I agree there needs to be more education, period. But I also just wish people would use common sense. Makes me want to cry.

Phineasmama

I posted this on my facebook, I just wonder how many of those innocent children would have survived if the adults hadn't been so negligent.

hrice

Phineasmama said:
I posted this on my facebook, I just wonder how many of those innocent children would have survived if the adults hadn't been so negligent.

Probably all of them.

MomToEliEm

This happened just a couple miles from my house. It is a very sad situation. The family spoke Spanish only. In this area, there is not a Safe-Kids coalition or even publicized carseat check events. There isn't much out there. There are sometimes billboards with basic info (even one billboard in Spanish by the hospital), but I don't think there are a lot of resources for people to turn too. I wish our area had a lot of techs as we certainly can use it here.

I really hope that if the father is charged with a crime, he isn't made to do jail time as he isn't a threat to society. He should be made to do community service and help spread the word to the Spanish community about what he has gone through, and how to correctly use carseats, boosters, and seatbelts.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
jgomez411 said:
What kind (if any) information is available for Spanish speaking families? I'm just asking because based on the names, they seem like Spanish names. My DH is Mexican and within the Mexican community, they don't seem to take carseat safety very seriously (FF before a year, using the infant seat when it is way past outgrown or expired, no seat at all when the child should still be harnessed, etc). I know a lot of these families receive WIC but for the short period of time I received it, they never even asked about carseat use (I dont know if they are supposed to but it wouldn't hurt). Does anybody know of somewhere they give out handouts in Spanish about carseat safety because I would really like to help educate DH's family so something like this doesn't happen.
Sorry if that seems totally off topic!

The amount and type of outreach will vary greatly by area. Carseat.org (not this site--no hyphen!) has lots of materials in Spanish. On the left side, click "resources" and scroll down. Anything with an "s" after it is in Spanish. I believe NHTSA has some good info in Spanish, too.

bnsnyde said:
Mine are 1, 3, 4 and 6. I'm always pointing out crashes and showing them articles/photos. They GET car safety. They would FREAK if a car started without their being harnessed, and they are always pointing out violations to me in other cars, lol. So hopefully these messages will stick with them. That seatbelt saved the 15-year-old, and unhurt? That's incredible!

My kids also "get" car safety and freak out if they're not/think they won't be secured. They're very safety-conscious in lots of regards. I don't hide tragedy from them, but I don't shove it in their faces either. I don't want to create fear and paranoia, which is probably what would happen if I showed them every crash in the paper. But to each her own.

Joyofbirth

Katy, I wondered about the area they were and the carseat education. I'm not too far from there. The education in this area is pretty good Our WIC offices have posters and they ask me if my girls are in seats. We've used a few different pedis and have been asked at every appointment about car seat usage. There is a great safekids here. It's not all best usage, but here even getting kids in a seat is a good thing. There are so many babies in laps in front seats and kids bouncing around in the back with no seatbelts on. It does seem that the hispanic community is very high in the non-use category. But I see non-use in all ethnicities here. There is also a lot of spanish information here and at the seat checks I've been to, there are spanish speaking techs. The techs here are really great. I'm not sure what else can be done. This area is so bad for carseat use. Or even seatbelt use. Very sad for these people and their loss. I cannot imagine losing 2 or 3 of my kiddos in one swoop.

jgomez411

LISmama810 said:
The amount and type of outreach will vary greatly by area. Carseat.org (not this site--no hyphen!) has lots of materials in Spanish. On the left side, click "resources" and scroll down. Anything with an "s" after it is in Spanish. I believe NHTSA has some good info in Spanish, too.

My kids also "get" car safety and freak out if they're not/think they won't be secured. They're very safety-conscious in lots of regards. I don't hide tragedy from them, but I don't shove it in their faces either. I don't want to create fear and paranoia, which is probably what would happen if I showed them every crash in the paper. But to each her own.

Ok thanks I'll have to check that out and pass the information on!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
What kind (if any) information is available for Spanish speaking families?

We have a large Spanish-only speaking community here, and we do have a LOT of resources and a lot of Spanish speaking techs available at check events, but they're also a very difficult group to reach, in my experience. I've worked a couple events (usually public safety day types of things where there is more going on than just car seat checks) where Spanish speaking families drove up in cars with unrestrained or very improperly restrained kids and we've tried to GIVE them program seats but they're very nervous and afraid we're going to report them or they don't want to give their information - I would guess because some of their family is here illegally. Last year I tried to get a family to take a NBB for their 5 year old and a Scenera for their 2 year old, both riding unrestrained, and she wouldn't. I told her I didn't even need to know her name - but she still wouldn't let me help them. It was really sad. :/

jgomez411

EmmaCPST said:
We have a large Spanish-only speaking community here, and we do have a LOT of resources and a lot of Spanish speaking techs available at check events, but they're also a very difficult group to reach, in my experience. I've worked a couple events (usually public safety day types of things where there is more going on than just car seat checks) where Spanish speaking families drove up in cars with unrestrained or very improperly restrained kids and we've tried to GIVE them program seats but they're very nervous and afraid we're going to report them or they don't want to give their information - I would guess because some of their family is here illegally. Last year I tried to get a family to take a NBB for their 5 year old and a Scenera for their 2 year old, both riding unrestrained, and she wouldn't. I told her I didn't even need to know her name - but she still wouldn't let me help them. It was really sad. :/

Yeah it is so sad. DH has told me many time that on Mexico they don't use carseats, they just put the infant on their lap! Thankfully he has been very open minded when we were carseat shopping and always made sure the seats were installed properly but his family is a different story. Financially we can't buy carseats for every family member but I wish I could just so I would know that they had a proper seat and install. I found an OnSide Air for his cousin at WalMart clearanced for $30 so I bought it to replace their Graco seat with a 2002 DOM. But I definitely agree that many of them worry that they are going to get found out for being illegal. It's really sad.

bnsnyde

I majored in Spanish and am perfectly fluent. I called around (police, etc.) asking for opportunities to volunteer to help this population with carseats (and the usage for this group is really bad around here). And...nothing. I feel like I'm wasting my Spanish. I would love to use it.

Phineasmama

Yeah it is so sad. DH has told me many time that on Mexico they don't use carseats, they just put the infant on their lap! Thankfully he has been very open minded when we were carseat shopping and always made sure the seats were installed properly but his family is a different story. Financially we can't buy carseats for every family member but I wish I could just so I would know that they had a proper seat and install. I found an OnSide Air for his cousin at WalMart clearanced for $30 so I bought it to replace their Graco seat with a 2002 DOM. But I definitely agree that many of them worry that they are going to get found out for being illegal. It's really sad.

I JUST saw an Indian family the other day when I was walking by the grocery store, grandma was driving, someone was in the front passenger seat, mom was in the back with a maybe 10 month old baby on her lap, seat belt buckled over both of them :( Plenty of room in the back seat, but no car seat :( There are tons of international families where I live, partially because of the university.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC