Booster?

flick37

Hi,

DD is 50 lbs and turning 6 in a couple of months. She is still riding in a harness seat, and we are in no rush to switch her to a booster, and she isn't really asking to be in one (she has mentioned it once or twice, but is satisfied when we tell her why she is still in a harness seat).

But, when would you consider switching her to a booster? How many of you have children in grade 1 still in a harness seat?

And, what booster would you recommend? One of our seats is a nautilus, so it turns into a booster, which will be in DH's truck. I want a dedicated booster for the car, something that is portable and easy to carry. I don't mind paying $$ for a seat, so it doesn't have to be inexpensive. I am in Canada, btw :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

bnsnyde

My first grader is still harnessed in his Radian XTSL. He is 48 inches and 54 lbs.

But actually for Christmas I think I'll get a Frontier85 to harness him b/c he's nearly over the top slot (which I know is allowed on that seat), and I figure as long as there is an option where he can be under it, sounds good to me.

I would love a Clek, but that's going to have to wait.
When he does booster, it'll have to latch b/c he jumps out to the carline at school and then the seat would be a projectile.

So he's getting a new seat for Christmas.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
We have no documented proof that a harness is safer than a booster once a child meets all of the following requirements:

1. Child is at least 4 years old
2. Child is at least 40 lbs.
3. Child has the maturity to sit properly 100% of the time, even while sleeping

The maturity part is what keeps most kids from being ready. I would not have a problem with boostering a 50 lb 6 year old if they possessed the maturity. As far as what to recommend, I am not great with what is available in Canada, but we have several members that are. Your child will be safe in a properly fitting, properly used booster seat, it's an appropriate choice for that age and size.

Baylor

At 6 yrs old I would start booster usage to make sure child understands the rules and can sit that way. At 6, I did part time booster usage.

I would try to find a booster that fits well and works in your car. My kids fit great in gn in hbb. I think there comes a time when you have to prepare for the next step even if you are not ready for it full time.

alex9179

My two oldest were harnessed in 1st grade until about half way through the year. My oldest outgrew her seat. The only reason my middle child switched to a booster at 7, though, is because his younger brother needed his Radian. I'd be ok for everyone to remain harnessed until 12!:D My older kids really enjoy the freedom of movement in a booster...sometimes a little too much, though.

Kat_Momof3

no reason to mess with what works... for spare vehicles or carpooling, you might want a booster as a spare, though.

when the harness is outgrown or the kiddo asks, since already old enough and big enough, if he's mature enough, I'd let him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC