LATCH and Top Tether questions

lovemybabybug

My friend went on a seat check and the police officer told her she can't use the lower anchors if she isn't top tethering the seat. Is that correct? She uses the top tether most of the time but sometimes she unhooks it when she needs to load stuff in the cargo and switches to seatbelt install which is less than ideal because she never tightens it enough.

ADS

lovemybabybug

Yeah though so. I though that was weird but since I have no latch in my car and have never had to use it I wanted to make sure.

creideamh

For a FF seat? What that police officer said was what we were taught in our class (Lower Anchors AND Tethers for Children, but TA not required with a SB install)... wouldn't surprise me if we were taught wrong, though.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
creideamh said:
For a FF seat? What that police officer said was what we were taught in our class (Lower Anchors AND Tethers for Children, but TA not required with a SB install)... wouldn't surprise me if we were taught wrong, though.

Well if you were then so was I. We were told ALWAYS both when using LATCH, and top tether is encouraged but not required using seatbelt install.

alex9179

I thought top tethers were required with lower anchors.

I thought that was true for FF, as well, but I've never taken the classes. The officer told her the same thing that's recommended here.

If the kid is RF, then it's seat dependent as noted by carseatcoach.

Aaaah, there is a lot to learn!

creideamh

I thought top tethers were required with lower anchors.

Yeah, exactly. Our teachers almost beat it into our heads that top tether is INCLUDED in the name "LATCH", so you MUST use it if you choose to install with the lower anchors. If you don't want to use a top tether, you install with the seatbelt.
I've never actually seen it written "REQUIRED!" in any car manual, though. And obviously, I always TT FF seats, so it's very possible I missed the "REQUIRED!" (or not) in car seat manuals. :p

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I think there are a couple of exceptions (convertible cars) that don't have TT, but have lower anchors. Otherwise, it has always been my understanding that if you use lower anchors, you use a top tether. That's why if you have lower anchors, you always have a TT (except the noted exceptions above) in that seating location, but just because you have a TT, doesn't mean you always have lower anchors (even in a new car). I have 2 TT in my '11, without lower anchors...but my 2 spots with lower anchors have TT.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC