Please tell me there is no way...

ADS

Nimommyof2

Do you have a link for the article. My friend has her just turned 3yr old in a booster would've beenn 2 going into it.

alex9179

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm not sure a majority of parents would look that hard for the limits. I agree that a recommended age should be on the box/label.

I was in Target the other day looking at seats for my 7 yr old and some parents were talking about getting a lbb for their child who weighed 32 lbs (don't know the age). Since the label indicated that it could be used for that weight, they felt it should be safe. I stepped in and mentioned that they should probably keep him in a harnessed seat, rear facing if possible, until he reached the limits and that he should be at least 4 and 40 before moving him to a booster. I'm sure they thought I was a nosy busy-body! I let them know about NHTSA so they could look up their recs.

This is when being a technician would be so handy! I'd give them a card, write some websites on it, and encourage them to look into it more before purchasing something. The title would make it seem more official instead of nosy!!:D

cso1997

This is when being a technician would be so handy! I'd give them a card, write some websites on it, and encourage them to look into it more before purchasing something. The title would make it seem more official instead of nosy!!:D

Unfortunately, plenty of people think techs are just nosy busy bodies too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay, I guess the question is WHY? Why is it necessary to label a booster from 30lbs? Maybe back in the day that was fine but how about some change now? There are plenty harnessed seats for a 30lb child. Why do manufacturers focus so much on weight? What about focusing on age? Sorry to have so many questions. I am deeply disturbed by this and I guess I haven't paid much attention in the past to this issue.

I am sure there are some 30lb 6 year olds but that probably isn't the norm.

I am quite glad that booster options under 40 lbs. exist. There ARE kids who will outgrow most or even all harnessed seats by height before hitting 40 lbs., and at that point, especially for families who have, say, maxed out a Nautilus by height and can't afford a Frontier, using a high back booster for a 6 year old is a perfectly reasonable option. Heck, using a backless is better than using a harnessed seat over the limits! And backless boosters DO protect kids who are of a proper age to sit properly in them and old enough that they're no longer needing to be rear-facing.

The age thing is inexcuseable, though. I am firmly in favor of at least a 4 year minimum on all booster seats (I'd prefer 5, but I'm aware that there are 4 year olds who do sit properly, and some who have outgrown all available-to-them harnessed seats.) More companies who were 3 as the minimum are now upping it to 4 with more inexpensive HWH seats on the market and I appreciate that. I have never understood how Dorel can think that a booster is appropriate for a 1 year old, but I tend to think it's just an issue of not revising limits for a long, long time.

I do think there's a place in the market for under-40 limits on boosters, though, and that they're important to have or there WILL be some kids who have to use boosters against manufacturer recommendations.

alex9179

Unfortunately, plenty of people think techs are just nosy busy bodies too.

I'm sure, but I would feel it's part of my job and maybe that's all I need to be ok with giving advice to strangers who don't want it!

I think the only way to ensure that manufacturers would label their products more appropriately is to have it federally mandated. That would be quite a fight, especially since government intervention is a hotly debated topic. We'd need some serious power behind any lobbying to get it instituted.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree with ketchupqueen. Ideally, I'd like to see 5 and 35# as the booster minimum. I know that will never happen, but it's what I'd like.

I am a tech and don't feel that it's my job to be giving advice to people who don't want it. I'm an editor in my other (paying) job and I don't give advice to people who don't want it in that capacity either.

cso1997

I do think there's a place in the market for under-40 limits on boosters, though, and that they're important to have or there WILL be some kids who have to use boosters against manufacturer recommendations.

Yes, I realize that. I mentioned it in the post you quoted. I am thrilled to always have options too. I wasn't intending for options to be taken away. I was just pondering a world with clear labeling.

Baylor

I just think with car seats there is just no one size fits all. There are people in here with older children that are low in weight. There are some like me who had 37 lb 2 yr olds.
I actually think the market is doing pretty good right bow in providing a seat for almost every contingency when it comes to age/ weight/ height.

It will never be perfect and there will always be parents that don't give a crap and will do bare minimum to keep kids safe in cars.

When in out and I see a family that is perplexed in the car seat aisle I offer a few tips. I tell them I have a free brochure or car seat safety if they'd like one but I don't push.

auto correct hates me

alex9179

Sometimes, you don't know they don't want it until after it's given:shrug-shoulders: I don't want to give the impression that I do/would interject my opinion all day long (except to my kids), but if I hear a question that I know the answer to I'll say "Hi" and try to help. What they do after that is up to them. I would give more credence to answers if it came from someone I perceived as "in the know" and look into it more, rather than a random person in the aisle with nothing to back up their statements. I don't intend to hang out in car seat aisles accosting unsuspecting shoppers :p

I'm a weirdo who likes to research all kinds of stuff, so I would appreciate a direction...even if I find evidence to contradict what I was told. I end up more educated about the subject in the end. I know plenty of people that don't care to take the time for that, too.

Brianna

I actually think the market is doing pretty good right bow in providing a seat for almost every contingency when it comes to age/ weight/ height.

But there is simply no excuse for a 1 year 30 pound minimum booster. There is never a case where this is a good idea. A friend of a friend put her 2 year old 30-something pound child in one of those backless seats because the display said it was okay. She took offense to the message I sent her on Facebook but when I talked to her in person she was disgusted that a manufacturer would tell her it's okay to put her son that little in a backless booster once she learned how unsafe it was. After a few minutes of chatting she decided to re-harness him.

Nimommyof2

But there is simply no excuse for a 1 year 30 pound minimum booster. There is never a case where this is a good idea. A friend of a friend put her 2 year old 30-something pound child in one of those backless seats because the display said it was okay. She took offense to the message I sent her on Facebook but when I talked to her in person she was disgusted that a manufacturer would tell her it's okay to put her son that little in a backless booster once she learned how unsafe it was. After a few minutes of chatting she decided to re-harness him.

Well at least she was receptive I'm in Canada 40lbs is the min here, my friend put her 2yr old almost 3yr old(she's four months younger than my daughter who is still RF) in a lbb and I sent her some links etc... she said the doctors and Alberta site said its okay and she did her research on doctors(I googled and sure enough there are lots of articles saying a properly fitting booster will save lives, though I know these are aimed at people using nothing) and she refused to change, so I don't know what the solution I had a look at Walmart and besides the Graco non of them seemed ot have ages listed on them that I could find

Baylor

Brianna said:

Overall the market provides seats for most contingencies. Im hoping the 1 yr old minimum on a dedicated booster will eventually fade but I'm glad its listed on some combination seats because as much as I don't like seeing one yr olds forward facing I know people are still going to do it and that seat may keep them harnessed a lot longer because most people are not going to spend on car seats as most of us here do. They want to buy a bucket and a car seat and be done.

Again it's not perfect. Not what I would do or suggest to anyone I know. But we are not the norm. Most parents never get the exposure to information we get here.

auto correct hates me

P

pink peonies

So sad :( My friend has her 18 month old in a high back booster, and her about to be 4 year old in a backless booster. They switched her out of a nautilus because it was "bulky", but they drive a good size suv. I went out to their car one day and his seatbelt wasn't even tightened and it was all twisted...

Does anyone have a link to the story or that family's info?

jacqui276

I had a look at Walmart and besides the Graco non of them seemed ot have ages listed on them that I could find

Even looking at my turbobooster manual, it has height and weight restrictions then says in brackets above it "approximately 4 to 10 years old". That makes me interpret it as being that a kid of that size is generally 4 to 10 years old, but doesn't prohibit anyone younger from using it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC