New (to us) car ideas

2BunniesMommy

We are probably six months out from getting something, but I am already thinking about it.

I want very safe and great on gas.

Top price is $15,000, but less would be better.

I would rather not go older than 2010, but oldest would be 2008.

Has to be able to hold up on a dirt road. Not a nice smooth one either. We live 1.1 miles off the paved street and it is a pretty bumpy ride. I am hoping our vans make it the 6 months until we replace one, and of course the other one will have to make it even longer. As it is, they both sound like they are going to fall apart.

It will be holding 2 Frontier85s, one in harness mode and one in booster mode.

Thanks!

ADS

rosey2007

How about a Land Rover? I'm sorry I really don't have many idea
If I was in your situation I would probably buy a beater with a heater and not worry about it falling apart.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Under $15000 for a 4 year old decently off-roadable vehicle?

Tundra?

Oh wait.. that doesn't use a lot of gas.

FX35? CR-V? Pilot? Escape/Tribute? Liberty?

Gave you a bit of a size range between the FX35 and Pilot, but the actual vehicle platforms could be an issue.

The first three on the list you can get with higher miles at '08 for around 15k, with some hunting. The Escape should be pretty easy to get cheap. If the under $15,000 is important, the Liberty doesn't retain a lot of value and thus sells used fairly inexpensively...

I think your list, especially those model years, at your price point...is...well, it'll depend on whether or not the road is navigable with the car platform "SUVs"...but you have your work cut out for you.

-N.

2BunniesMommy

Yep, a tough list, I know.

What is an FX35? All the other names you mentioned, I recognize so that gives me a starting place.

Cars can get out here, but wouldn't do well to do so daily. Currently we have a 2003 Windstar and a 2004 Freestar and they sound more and more "rattle-y" every day.

The two reasons I don't want to go much more than 4 years old is because that is how old the Freestar was when we got it, and it started having issues so quickly...minor stuff for the most part but still. Within the first year one door stopped locking and unlocking except by hand and one window is stuck, luckily in the up position. Probably wouldn't be that much to fix, but not a big enough deal to bother. Now it is having transmission and who knows what all problems. There is a recall on the torque converter, so I am hoping that is actually where the problems is. Waiting for the dealership to get the recall parts then we will know if that fixes it.

The other reason I want to not get something to old is because my credit union gives a better interest rate based on it being newer.

The price is pretty set too, need to keep the payment about the same as what we are paying on the Freestar, it will be paid off in Feb.

I was just wanting to get a Chevy Cruze once we moved out here. Good safety ratings, great on gas and can get them just a couple years old in my price range. Then they had a recall involving welds an I also know this road a little better and I am pretty sure one would just fall apart.

We will probably work on getting an older but decent truck for DH, but want something a bit better for our main ride. (We tend to always go in mine when we are all together and his goes to and from work, and takes DD2 to an activity Fri eve. when I am at work.)

canadiangie

Driving on gravel is never super fun, no matter what you drive. I just came out of a truck based SUV, have driven an F150 and Ram 2500 on gravel, and occasionally take dh's Lancer on gravel. Doesn't really matter, it tends to feel pretty... rattle-y. It's not easy on any vehicle.

You're in California, so no snow, correct?

If that's the case, I think you will be fine with a car based smaller SUV. Get some decent tires, drive slower, avoid the ruts... you'll be fine.

I mean, you could go truck based SUV, but good luck with fuel economy, yk?

Anyway, something a little more rugged like an Escape or Liberty comes to mind... maybe?

Good luck!

QuassEE

I think the FX35 might be a good option if you don't need the space. Infiniti. I love the spoil-me features, they handle REALLY well on loose surfaces (maybe a weight thing? Wheelbase? You'd have to check Edmunds to see) and they recover well when you lose it a bit.

Too bad you don't want to go older--the old AWD Matrix would be a good option and keep you WAY below your price range ($5000-$8000?).. Again--if you don't mind the smaller vehicles, the X3 might be worth considering as well, but I don't know if you can get 2008 for your price? Maybe.

-N.

2BunniesMommy

Driving on gravel is never super fun, no matter what you drive. I just came out of a truck based SUV, have driven an F150 and Ram 2500 on gravel, and occasionally take dh's Lancer on gravel. Doesn't really matter, it tends to feel pretty... rattle-y. It's not easy on any vehicle.

You're in California, so no snow, correct?

If that's the case, I think you will be fine with a car based smaller SUV. Get some decent tires, drive slower, avoid the ruts... you'll be fine.

I mean, you could go truck based SUV, but good luck with fuel economy, yk?

Anyway, something a little more rugged like an Escape or Liberty comes to mind... maybe?

Good luck!
The road is mostly hard packed dirt with lots of ruts. There is one area of soft dirt. Some rocks here and there, but mainly just washboard hard dirt.

Yes, California, not just any California, but dry desert. So, we get snow every couple years, and never enough to make a difference driving. Going to look into both the Escape and Liberty, both were coming to mind. Glad to hear they can be considered "rugged." My concern is that most SUVs, smaller ones anyway, are really just cars that sit up a little higher and cost a lot more.

I think the FX35 might be a good option if you don't need the space. Infiniti. I love the spoil-me features, they handle REALLY well on loose surfaces (maybe a weight thing? Wheelbase? You'd have to check Edmunds to see) and they recover well when you lose it a bit.

Too bad you don't want to go older--the old AWD Matrix would be a good option and keep you WAY below your price range ($5000-$8000?).. Again--if you don't mind the smaller vehicles, the X3 might be worth considering as well, but I don't know if you can get 2008 for your price? Maybe.

-N.

Ok, looked up the FX35 and fell in love. Then priced it and came up with 2003 for $16,999 and well over 100,000 miles. Quite possibly still in great shape with tons of miles left, but too big of a risk to take. Love em though!

For a Matrix, I would be willing to go a bit older. What MYs do I need to look into for the AWD? I am biased towards how sad our Fords are after a short life, but I know Toyotas tend to live a lot longer. So, steer me towards the right year(s) of the Matrix to look into and I will check them out.

Good thing I have 6 months to figure out what to get!

QuassEE

Just do a Craigslist search for Matrix AWD. I can't remember the exact years.

If you're willing to go older and consider cars along those lines (I wouldn't go domestic on that terrain, longterm, unless it's a truck or SUV).. The Forester and XC90 would be added to my list.

You CAN find an '08 FX35 for under $15k, though. It would definitely have higher miles..but if you're wearing your cars out before you're distancing them out then that might not be such a bad thing.

-Nicole.

tesslouise

My mom has an AWD Matrix specifically to allow her to navigate a fairly steep gravel driveway even in the snow (my parents live in Ohio). I'm sorry I don't know the year. But it's an attractive car with decent gas mileage.

Lenae

What about a Grand Cherokee? Not great on the gas mileage, but not bad. They do well on the rougher roads, but I have no idea about safety ratings. I guess I should go look that up.

My uncle has owned Grand Cherokee's as long as I've been alive for sure, potentially longer than that. He buys them specifically because he lives on a mountain with a road that is not maintained. They are more comfortable and roomy than a Wrangler, but still do well off road day to day. His newest is an '09 or '10, I believe.

skipspin

A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited would be nice it if has enough features for you. I'm pretty sure you could get an 08/09 around your price range depending on options. Unless you love "jeep-y-ness" get a hard top. They are utilitarian, so if you want tons of fancy features it isn't the vehicle for you, but it's very not-rattly and definitely off road and dirt road capable. Wranglers hold their value very well- especially for an American car, so bad for buying, but very good for selling.

Three-across is not at all a problem and two Frontiers would be no problem outboard.

msg221

I would definitely choose a Matrix over a Liberty. I know two people who had a Liberty and both had issues with the windows not staying up! Had them fixed by the dealer multiple times and after a while, they would fall again. I also found the back seat to be very uncomfortable.

I would check Edmunds.com for reviews on the vehicles and check the IIHS site for safety ratings as well as the NHTSA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC