What are the benefits of becoming a Car Seat Tech?

Jenny487

I have decided that I want to become a car seat tech, and I looked up the dates for classes in my area. It looks like I will need to put it off a bit due to the 3 day commitment, but hopefully in the next 3-6 months I can take some time off and make it a reality. As I consider this, I'm wondering what happens after you pass the course?

What is your role as a car seat tech? Do you train others? How do you "advertise" your knowledge and help others? Is this a "job" for you, or a source of income?

I wasn't sure where I needed to post this, so hopefully this forum is an appropriate spot. :)

Thanks!

ADS

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
So far, it is not my main source of income, or any income for that matter. I am purely a volunteer. I work with the local outreach program whenever possible and make a point to be at the major annual checks. I regularly work with parents via my role as the assistant director of a mothers day out program. My cards are out and parents are always able to ask questions. I make sure I make myself available to my local mommy-groups and do a good amount of private checks that way. I've recently been able to take the time to become an instructor. I look forward to getting to teach new technicians. I am currently seeking a position working with the people I already work with at public check events.

Ninetales

For me it's the good feeling I get by bring able to volunteer at checks and help people out.

Also people are less likely to discount what I say and actually listen to my opinions.

laurengt

Ninetales said:
For me it's the good feeling I get by bring able to volunteer at checks and help people out.

Also people are less likely to discount what I say and actually listen to my opinions.

This is why I became one too.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
To help others. That is about it. I have tried to make money at it, but really, I am in the hole from it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't make money and I don't buy new seats at tech discounts, as my own personal child is in a $15 backless booster.

It is one of the ways in which I do volunteer work and give back to my community. This is a value I'm trying to model for my daughter.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. I'm not in it for the money. I'm in it for the love of it, for the satisfied feeling of helping a child leave safer than she arrived, for the happy feeling that comes when I hear that a child was in a crash and was safe after I taught parents how to properly use a seat, for the good feeling that comes from doing something for the community that helps others and for local parents. I was helped when I needed it; I now get to teach others the same way and pass the help on.

That said, I do love the camaraderie that is found at national conferences, the excitement of taking part in community and organizational projects, and the excuse to buy new car seats. ;)

alex9179

I've been looking into the same thing. It never occurred to me that one could have income from it, I thought it was purely a volunteer thing.

I want to do it because I know NO ONE who follows best safe practices. My advice is met with skepticism at best and outright anger at worst. I'm hoping that with certification will come some standing and I'll also be able to advise people who are actually looking for help at events.

I want the parents to make informed choices and the kids to be safe.

gsdguenter

I like the knowledge learned and access to materials. Plus, I like staying current with info.

Also, I like helping people with installs and recommending appropriate seat choices for their situations (friends etc. who ask).

I like that I've been able to give some presentations to kids at my high school in parenting classes.

It's fun!

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I didn't become a tech to make any money. I did it because it's something I care about and is a good way to help and serve in my community. I do work at a hospital now as a technician, but that wasn't on my radar when I got certified 1.5 years ago.

bethng

I was always interested in car seat safety (well, not always lol) but since my 3rd dd was born I started getting a little obsessed with installations and proper use. I started reading this board, thus further educating myself. My friends started to realize that I had a lot of info and would ask me to help them with their seats. I decided that if I was going to be helping friends with their seats I should get certified so I really did know what I was talking about. Went into it thinking there would be no money involved (income) but I do get a $100 check for each event I work so there is a little income involved. But I don't do it for the money. I would do it for free if they could no longer pay me. I do it so that the children that I see leave me safer then when they arrived and perhaps the parents that I educated will educate their friends and so on and so on. For a while I was really obsessed and would get very angry when I saw people doing things "wrong" (in target...in parking lots etc....) or when they didn't take my advice. But I soon realized that I can NOT save every child from car seat misuse. All I can do is take it one child at a time and be grateful I was able to make that one child safer. I cant stress about every loose strap I see. I would be a basket case.

V

VanIsleMommy

liability insurance, credibility (people will listen because you're "certified"), it's a good cause... I mostly do it because I hope that one day I might save a life :)

Jenny487

Thanks for all the responses! I certainly understand that this isn't something you typically make money at, nor would that be a reason for me to do so. I have two more questions: How do you "market" your services? Give information to hospitals? Schools? Daycares? Do you hold liability insurance for your services? Can people sue you if you install their seat and something happens?

V

VanIsleMommy

It really helps not to be shy LOL :p

I made up my own business cards with an email address I only use for car seat people and I hand those out. They're really handy when you see a pregnant woman wandering around scratching her head in the car seat section of the store. And yes, every time I'm in the big box stores I make a point to walk by to check :D

I'm also part of a facebook group so I occasionally get referrals from them, I've also contacted people when they've posted a car seat question, I once stopped a grandparent from buying a used seat and helped her pick a new seat and install it for her grandson.

I put it out there whenever I can. People might not always listen, but the times they do it's worth it :)

As far as liability insurance I'm not sure which organizations offer liability other than CPSAC. But if your organization doesn't I would highly recommend you carry it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC