How did/do you decide when to FF? Need recs on seat purchase.

la-ky-mama

I'm buying a new carseat to replace one that was in an accident. I have 2 kids. Ds is 4, 39 lbs, 42ish in tall. DD is 22 months, 28lbs, 34ish in tall. Sorry for the appx height measurements... Both are RF. DS is in a Radian XTSL. I just installed a Truefit for dd. The seat I buy will go in my car and the TF will go back into DH's car for ds to ride in when he's with him.

So, my question... I got a Radian because it has the highest RF capability and because it accommodates a taller (torso) child. When ds rode in the TrueFit for the first time FF in dh's car, he told dh, "Wow, this seat doesn't hurt my back!" He had never told me his Radian was hurting his back. :( So, do I A) Try FF him in the radian in my car and get dd a new seat? (Which one?!) or B) Get a different seat for him and put dd in the radian RF? Help!

ADS

monstah

la-ky-mama said:
I'm buying a new carseat to replace one that was in an accident. I have 2 kids. Ds is 4, 39 lbs, 42ish in tall. DD is 22 months, 28lbs, 34ish in tall. Sorry for the appx height measurements... Both are RF. DS is in a Radian XTSL. I just installed a Truefit for dd. The seat I buy will go in my car and the TF will go back into DH's car for ds to ride in when he's with him.

So, my question... I got a Radian because it has the highest RF capability and because it accommodates a taller (torso) child. When ds rode in the TrueFit for the first time FF in dh's car, he told dh, "Wow, this seat doesn't hurt my back!" He had never told me his Radian was hurting his back. :( So, do I A) Try FF him in the radian in my car and get dd a new seat? (Which one?!) or B) Get a different seat for him and put dd in the radian RF? Help!

I'm sorry, I'm so confused. I made a cheat sheet. :p

DS- RN
DD- TF
Both RFing

Just installed TF for DD (rear facing?)
DS rode in TF FF (Do you have a second TF?)
TF is in OP's car (FF for DS? What is DD using?)
- Needs new seat for OP's car so TF can go into DH's car FF for DS.

Am I correct ^? What seats do you have right now that are useable? I ask because it might make more sense to give your DD the convertibles and get DS a GN.

And to answer your title question, I have no qualms with a 39 pound 4 year old FF *at all*. :)

Last edited:

Keeanh

My 4yo is FF a lot lately because of everything from seats being in the wrong vehicles, to DH taking the kids to the beach and me not wanting DH to get annoyed with an RF seat, to DS not being able to buckle beside the RF seat. On our last trip 4yo started out RF, but was kicking her sisters on either side of her so I turned her FF and put her outboard beside an RF seat so there was no-one to kick. The trip before that, DH wanted her FF so she could watch a movie.

By around 4 I'm okay with FF for convenience. Around 3-3.5 I would be okay with FF because they outgrew their seat or it was the only way to get seats in the vehicle. Under 3 I would buy a different seat if necessary. I would only FF under 3 if the alternative was to buy another vehicle or import a seat kind of thing. But that's just my current comfort level.

In your case, I wouldn't give another thought to FF your son in whatever seat is comfortable and convenient and works in the vehicle. I would feel perfectly okay FF a 4yo for his comfort. If he likes the TF, I would say go ahead and let him use it. It should last until he's ready for a dedicated booster -- it has tall harness slots. As for your car, you could have your son ride FF a few times in the RN and see how he likes it. I would also have him try out seats like the Frontier & Securekid and see if those are more comfortable for him. If his favourite is the TF, you could have insurance buy you another TF and have FF TF in both your cars. Basically, I would say go with whatever FF seat works for your son (and installs well, and will last obviously).

ETA: If your son wants to keep his RN for FF, you should start another thread for recs for DD -- you'll get more input that way.

la-ky-mama

Can you tell it was really late when I posted that? I'm confused myself after rereading it. :eek: I am mostly stressing about turning ds FF. He's been RF and I feel like I need permission to FF him. I know how much safer it is to RF. That's why I got the Radian. But dh is kind of pushing for him to FF and ds would like to FF. So, I guess I need to be ok with that. :) I'll try him FF in his Radian and see how that goes. He moved out of the TF because he outgrew the RF weight. The TF was my extra seat so I installed that for dd after the fender bender.

Ok, last question about seats in this thread... :eek: What will ds go into after the Radian? It harnesses to 80 lbs FF. I'm guessing a booster of some sort. How do I know which kind?

monstah

Oh, LOL! Makes sense now. You have my blessing. :p

The RN won't last until he's really 80 pounds. The tips of his ears can't go higher than the top of the shell and he'd probably be way uncomfortable by then anyway.

You'll follow up the RN with a high back booster. But new seats are always being made and/or redesigned so when he gets closer to outgrowing the RN in a year or two, come back and start a new thread. Who knows what will be out by then. ;)

So do you need to buy another new seat?

la-ky-mama

I do but I have some time to decide which would be better: Buy DS a FF seat he's comfortable in and put dd in the RN OR buy dd a new seat and just get ds a booster when he outgrows the RN. I'm leaning towards getting dd a new seat because the RN is a pain RF in our truck...

la-ky-mama

Well not so much a pain as it just takes up SO much room RF. But I'd like something similar in upper weight limit (40-45 lbs. RF) and something good for tall kids. She's always off the chart in height when we go for well checks. And she's got a long torso like her mama. :)

Keeanh

Well not so much a pain as it just takes up SO much room RF. But I'd like something similar in upper weight limit (40-45 lbs. RF) and something good for tall kids. She's always off the chart in height when we go for well checks. And she's got a long torso like her mama. :)

Do you have an angle adjuster? That makes it take up less front-to-back room. You could always get insurance to buy you a Foonf :p. If you didn't like it, the resale value would be enough to buy just about anything else LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC