Car sick help

kmcenery

My son who will be 20 months on the 23rd has been getting car sick on long drives. He is rf in a ma and EFTA. We have had to flip him twice so far in the middle of 2 trips. I have tried both car seats, different cars (we have 3) and trying different angles. Any thing else I can do other then medicine? Dh thinks the only thing we can do is ff him on long car rides (at least once a month some times more) I'm wanting to avoid that since he's still small at 24lbs and 33-34 inches. Our 5 year old rf to just over age 3 and my plan was the same for him keep him rf until he out grows the limits of our seats. Just seeing if there are other ideas before we change ff for trips and rf in town. I don't want to give him medicine since I like to avoid them unless needed.

ADS

Jenny487

At 31 months, 24 lbs my second child started getting car sick. We turned her at that point and I have always regretted it. Not that I couldn't turn her back, but her car sickness has gotten worse. One option I have read on here was to use a towel to cover them like a cape, or you could try to catch it in a bucket (let's face it, that's nearly impossible!). They now have Children's dramamine. I honestly don't know the pediatrician's thoughts on it, but it did work in a pinch (we were in the mountains and on a road trip). I have also heard that Benadryl can help car sickness. Depending on the pediatrician's views, I think I would personally give meds once a month rather than risk a crash with a forward facing peanut.

Good luck, it's a tough call!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Do you allow your kids to eat in the car? If so, perhaps allow him to munch on ginger snaps?

kmcenery

I tried ginger snaps he won't eat them. He's also gotten sick around town the last few days. He's not sick at home just in the car. So it seems to be getting worse. I'm not sure if it's the heat. It's been getting over time while traveling and now seems its while in town as well. I get bad car sickness as well so it seems he's taking after me.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I was always horribly sick in the car when I was a kid so I can commiserate. To this day I cannot read in the car (if I'm the passenger) because I immediately get queasy. Looking out of the side window always makes it worse so I would try to find ways to block the side window view and keep his attention directed at the rear windshield. I don't know if it will work but it's certainly worth a try. HTH! Good luck!

rachelandtyke

This may sound odd, but it was recommended to me by a nurse at the hospital during my HG stay. She said it worked well for one of her grandchildren who was car sick a lot. She said if the child sniffed an alcohol wipe, it helped tremendously.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We are dealing with this with our youngest. Only problem is she does it on local drives longer than 20min and considering we live in the country, almost everywhere we go is 20min. Which means, she pukes...a LOT. We have resorted to meds because for her, it doesn't matter if she's rf'ing, ff'ing, had food, haven't had food, center seat, outboard seat etc. If she is in the car longer than 20min, you'd better watch out. We use meds. But I do plan on talking to the dr about it at her next visit. Oh, and she just turned 3 and this started over a year ago, but has progressively gotten worse.

Adorkable

I have just started struggling with this, I think it's just one of my 20m old twins but at times it's both, maybe they set each other off.

I have always gotten carsick too, so my empathy level is huge. I also have come to understand that I'm a style of driver I would not get in the car with, so I'm really working on that.

Sometimes it happens so fast in the car around town, as little as 6-7 minutes from home. I'm frantic to do something to help him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC