Car seat for our baby & vehicle?

rachel

Hello! I'm 36 weeks pregnant so baby will be coming pretty soon and I need to order/buy a seat asap!

In short:
Looking for a SAFE car seat for our infant that is good about:

*re-bound protection (our seats are bouncy - rear-tether or something??)
*good fit for a newborn
*easy in and out/buckles (as baby might have to go in the 3rd row)
*GOOD head support for newborn (I wish there were more head-wings for floppy newborn heads!)
*I'd love a convertible from the start but willing to do an infant seat if it has better features and/or better fit for a newborn/infant.

Long on-goings:

I have a big giant 1980s suburban and we have in the middle row currently:
3 radians, all rear-facing with a 4yo, 3yo and 2yo.

In the back row is our 6yo in a Graco Nautilus which he is able to strap himself into on his own.

We can re-configure the seats so we could put one seat in the middle down for easier access to the back seat and put two of the currently middle-row kids in the back to make room for baby and the folded down seat. I'm probably going to hate having to access the back seat like that but such is life with a whole bunch of little ones!

I've also considered just putting the new baby in the back with an infant seat that can pop in and out of a base so it's not terribly hard to get him/her in and out of the back - and my oldest can then hand him/her toys, entertain and pass pacifiers to ;) ?? Heck - I wouldn't let my 6yo strap the baby in (that's my job to get a safe fit) but I'd be HAPPY to let him UN-strap the baby when we're exiting the vehicle ;) Hmmm - or I could turn the 4yo ff so she can be in the back and then let baby take her rf place - it would be SO hard to get a rear facing seat done in that 3rd row!!

With my last two we just bought Radians and never had to buy another seat (yet) and that's been so nice! We also don't even really NEED a seat with a base because I carry my babies in slings, not in the infant carriers.

Our seats are BOUNCY - oh I HATE this about our vehicle. That's one reason I insisted on Radians that had the rear-tether for rebound protection.

Obviously with all these kiddos budgeting does figure in but we've hardly had to buy anything for baby this time and I'm willing to put $ aside or what not if it means a safer and EASIER to use seat for baby.

Suggestions??

ADS

lourdes

The Combi Shuttle (I think that's how is call) is an infant seat that fit will small babies and has anti rebound. The Cocoro is a convertible seat that fit well babies and has anti rebound but will last only until 2 years old (that's what people say here) good luck!

rachel

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just wanted to update that I found a seat called a Britax Chaperone and it fits tiny babies well and has side head wings (not just pillows/padding but actual adjustable protective wings with EPS foam) and the base has an anti-rebound bar on it. All 3 things I was really hoping to find in a seat.

I think due to the anti-rebound bar some reviews were negative due to fit in vehicle but we have a monster SUV (lots of kids) so fit wasn't my worry. I was able to find a new one from a reputable retailer for a price that is pretty typical for the average top selling infant seats on the market now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC