Question 2 and 4 yr old in a convertible mustang.

agave

Here are pictures of their first ride, there is NO head support at all. They normally ride in a RF Radian and Frontier 85. It was a very short test drive less than 1 mile round trip on pavement (we didn't even see any other cars) and most of the trip was on gravel driveways. When they are 3 and 4 1/2 we may venture out a little more in the mustang. I wasn't completely happy with the Maestro install I think the Roundabout 50 will probably work better. If I tried to get a FF Radian in and it just didn't work or I'd have 2 in there. Eventually we'll need boosters, the car will be around for a long time.

What would you put in this tiny back seat for 2 kids? I'm looking for short term and long term answers. Current stats are in siggy. The car is a 1993 Mustang.

7795299254_8468ae934e_c.jpg

7795379350_72fc20018d_c.jpg

ADS

love-pink

I don't have anything to add safety wise but that second picture is the is the cutest thing! You have two gorgeous kids that's for sure!

Baylor

Personally I would not want them riding in a car with no roof. Especially one that old without many safety features. Have you had the seat belts looked at or replaced? That would be my first start. I just would not be comfortable not for real travel.

auto correct hates me

monstah

Too cute!! It looks like they had a blast. :D

Long term? I'm thinking Frontiers since you might need every last bit of the height for whiplash protection. KWIM?

Baylor

Okay. So i apologize for above response. It sounds really holier than thou and I'm sorry.
I still would not like the set up but really that's not what you asked. Sorry.

I would however still think about getting seat belts checked if they were original.

auto correct hates me

T4K

monstah said:
Too cute!! It looks like they had a blast. :D

Long term? I'm thinking Frontiers since you might need every last bit of the height for whiplash protection. KWIM?

:yeahthat:

Our girls love to go topless...in our Jeep. :)

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
FR85s would probably last the longest. It looks like you should be able to get them side by side. Two Nautilus(es) might work too. They do well untethered.

Your girls are too cute!

agave

Baylor said:
Okay. So i apologize for above response. It sounds really holier than thou and I'm sorry.
I still would not like the set up but really that's not what you asked. Sorry.

I would however still think about getting seat belts checked if they were original.

auto correct hates me

Thanks, the car is a compromise in many ways. The seat belts do seem to be in good condition but it has been totaled only the drivers seat was occupied. Do you have any good links about why old seat belts should be replaced?

I have 2 frontiers but doubt they would both fit. I also worry about the weight, there would be very little room left for legs, the maestro barely fits all the way on the seat.

Baylor

I have to look around but of I remember correctly they should be checked between 15-20 years and replaced. If the car was totaled once I would definitely want them replaced. I think someone just posted about it last week. I'm on my phone but I'll see of I can find it.

auto correct hates me

2BunniesMommy

These pics are so cute and make me miss my Miata! I love how they are both looking up in the first one and of course the rollar coaster pose in the second is great! We totally did that in my Miata...yes, me when driving, but in my defense it was before Mama was Mama!

I like the idea of a Frontier, but I just don't think they'd fit. IIRC that was about the year my friend had, or at least the same Gen of Mustang and if so, I don't think they would fit in the dips in the seats. I would go for something with good height and of course that doesn't require the car for head support behind.

TXmom2

Coming from a family of drag racers, this would be a must have for me. It might not be the most stylish thing, but it would be the only way I'd have anyone in the vehicle who's head was above the body/frame of the car.

You can probably go to an aftermarket fabricator or race shop and have a single roll bar welded into the frame (and have the seatbelts replaced as well). It would be something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Competition-Engineering-Roll-Bar-Hoop-2-Point-Ford-Mercury-Mustang-Capri-Each-/370635524535?fits=Year:1993|Model:Mustang&hash=item564b9949b7&item=370635524535&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

The pics are adorable & they look like they really enjoyed it. I hope someone else can help with the carseat questions ;)

agave

No it does not have a roll bar, DHs reason for not having one is the risk of head injuries in a non roll over crash.

I'll have to take some pictures and measurements of the back seat it is truly cramped back there. We are in the middle of a bathroom remodel so It may take a while but I will update.

So, assuming the Frontier won't work what is the tallest booster currently made that does not need head support?

starbuck8088

We are going to BRU today and we will look at the Frontier, my boyfriend thinks he can tell if it will fit or not by looking at it. Not that its a guarantee or anything, but were a fox body family (he has an 84 Mustang and I have an 84 Capri) so if anyone would know, he would!

agave

Thanks, there seems to be a lot of space lost to the top storage. Does the frontier have to be all the way on the seat in booster mode?

Kat_Momof3

just to keep them further down inside the car, I would probably put any ff kid in a ride safer travel vest... then a britax parkway as that seat goes so tall.

for rearfacing... not sure what would work... maybe a graco myride?

jacqui276

I have no advice but just wanted to add that your girls are gorgeous and I love that second picture of them!

My dad has taken DD for a couple of little rides in his Miata and she had a blast!

starbuck8088

He said he thinks the Frontiers would fit but they might come over the top a bit, not sure how big of a concern that is. He also said if the kids will be in the car regularly he would strongly consider a roll bar.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC