would you feel comfortable?

Melizerd

With a newborn in a Marathon if the straps were not at or below the shoulders. I've seen so many people on other boards ;) say that it's okay to be a LITTLE above for a newborn because there's so much shell that the ramping up issue isn't such a big deal for a little height.

I never know what to say to this. *I* wouldn't do it but I don't know if it's REALLY okay or bad information?

Thoughts?

ADS

LuvBug

britax allows them to be no more than 1" above the shoulders.

I probably would not feel comfortable with a newborn in one, once s/he could sit up unassisted then I would be... even if they were still a tiny bit above the shoulders. I feel like babies are more protected in infant seats if you can have one from the start.

ETA: the reason I wouldnt feel as comfortable is because newborns are so swallowed by convertibles, and when I switch to a convertible it is so they can sit a little more upright.

Last edited:

sb518

I was wondering that as well, it seems like the graco safeseat straps are always above the newborn shoulders... if there was an option to be below I would go there but if not I guess I would have no other choice

lynsgirl

Britax used to say "at or above" for both RF *and* FF, but changed to "at or below" for RF solely because of the marketplace (not exactly peer pressure, but sort of). I would be ok with a harness a bit above the shoulders on a newborn precisely because of the fact that they aren't going to ramp up very far, if at all, and certainly not going to be coming out of the shell (especially if the harness is adjusted correctly). If it was a teeny, tiny newborn, then no, I'd probably not do it, but for an average or larger newborn, sure, no problem. While the fit of an infant seat is more ideal, sometimes that ends up just not being an option for some families. :)

CRS

Senior Community Member
Yes I would be fine with it, the Britax Australia RF seats have to be at or above any ways, my boys straps are above his shoulders.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I plan to this November, and I would have in March 2003 if there had been room in my vehicle (the Fisher Price Stay In View was the only seat that would fit 3 across in my Saturn SW2).

Pictures from of my 3rd child in a Roundabout at 10 days. And, this post has some good info from Safe Ride News.

steph

Personally I would not feel comfortable. I know that Britax allows it and that it is safe but I didn't even like the way Ryan looked in a BV at 4 months old when he was 16 pounds.

However, I am a fan of the infant seat. The chest clip/buckle is more proportiate for a newborn/infant and they actually fit snugly in it versus swimming in a convertable. It's just my :twocents: though. Especially not knowing the size of the baby - I could possible imagine a 8-9 pound baby in a Marathon but a 5 pounder, no way!

Melizerd

Well at least the field is split and I'm not the only one that doesn't like it even though it's "okay".

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I would be okay with it, because of my understanding of the dynamics involved, and the fact that dd was nearly 9 pounds and 21 inches at birth, so definitely on the big side.
Here is a pic of dd for her first car ride at 5 days old.(yes, it's blurry, it was our first digital camera, and the pics all were blurry at first until we got the hang of it, LOL!) Her length was still 21 inches, but her weight had dropped a bit due to nursing issues, so she was just over 8 pounds at this point. As you can see, her shoulders are over the lowest slots, which are 8.5 on her comfortsport. The second slots that you see are at 11.5, so, if you go down about 1.5 inches from that, that would be the 10 inch mark, which is where the Britax seats have their lowest slots. That would be just BARELY over her shoulders, or possibly right at her shoulders, well within the "no more than 1 inch over the shoulders" rule, so I believe she would have fit nicely in a Britax from birth.

2004_0920_182125AA.jpg

*sigh* Since I have no realistic hope of ever having a smaller child, lol, I believe I would be okay with similar-sized future children riding in a Britax from birth also.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would not be comfortable with it, even if it is considered ok by Britax. And this is coming from a diehard infant bucket seat hater.

DD2 is 3 weeks, 9lbs, 22 inches
carseat009.jpg

She is about an inch below the bottom slots
scarlettma.jpg

I was more concerned about the fit of the harness over her legs than anything--she could easily pull her legs under the straps.
scarlettma3.jpg

elle7715

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable until they were about 10 lbs. Both my kids were peanuts when they came home and even the Snugride seemed to big for DS. If I had bigger babies, then maybe.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
We moved DD into her MA when she was about 6 months - much different from a newborn body. The straps were still a little above her shoulders, although I don't remember exactly how much (and is still only about an inch above the bottom slots now, at 19 months).

So, to answer the actual question, I don't know if I would be comfortable with an newborn, but I was/am with a slightly older kiddo.

natysr

Since britax rated it for 5 + pounds I would not have a problem with it.

Although, for a newborn, the MA would not be my choice. I would go with a DC or BLVD.

That being said, I'd still likely want to start with a bucket seat for 2 reasons:

1. on the chance that I have a baby that is content to stay in one when out and about. (I bought a snap n go stroller for Jordan and we never ever used it because he hated his bucket seat and almost always screamed from the moment he was put in it, until the moment he was taken out)

2. My kid is small, and if I started with a convertable, I would be afraid it would expire before it was outgrown.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I plan to this November, and I would have in March 2003 if there had been room in my vehicle (the Fisher Price Stay In View was the only seat that would fit 3 across in my Saturn SW2).

:yeahthat:

My daughter was in a Roundabout from birth and I was perfectly comfortable with the fit.

Shaunam

I wouldn't feel comfortable with it if they were absolutely swallowed up by the seat. But some newborns are bigger and fit in the seat just fine. I think it can't hurt to try, especially if it is a good-sized newborn. But I'd be prepared with a back-up seat, just in case.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC