News Chicco NextFit 65, YES, a Chicco convertible!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, that's right! Chicco has made a convertible! I got to play with the early prototype today. No pictures of the seat itself, the Chicco rep was only allowed to debut it here with that stipulation. Plus she said it will change.

Rear facing 5-40 pounds, forward facing 22-65 pounds, eight year expiration, $279.99-$299.99.

Going from memory right now. Nine "recline" positions for use both rear and forward facing. There are dual bubble indicators. One on each side, so you know if the seat is reclined enough rear facing AND forward facing (or upright enough rear and forward facing). No rethread harness, no rethread LATCH strap from rear to forward facing. They have the SuperCinch technology on this seat where you buckle the side marked 1 with the LATCH strap first, then attach the other side. Remove the slack from side 1, and without adding weight to the seat, without doing anything, you simply pull DOWN on the SuperCinch strap. Viola, less than 1". There are rear and forward facing lockoffs, though the ones that are currently on the seat will be changing before it's produced.

Bottom slots with insert in are about 5.5", without insert will be about 7.5". Top slot (harness height, actually), is 17.5". Rear facing internal seating height... drumroll, please. 25.5". Crotch strap position with the infant insert is 3.5", without it's 3.5"-7".

This seat will have a dual chest clip. Meaning for the littles you click it one further than you'd expect on a regular clip. As the child gets larger you use the outer click.

It will have 2014 LATCH labeling on it from the get go.

No pictures of the prototype, we were specifically asked not to. I will get the picture of that online ASAP (or Darren, if you can).

I did ask, since it's so tall, if they'll go to 45 pounds rear facing. I was told no, as they're trying to make everything as easy as possible for parents with the new 2014 LATCH requirements, and they don't want to deal with LATCH weight issues rear facing. So no, it will not go to 45 pounds rear facing.

So at the conference today (KIM, day 1) there were the Size 4 Me, Foonf, and the new NextFit. Suddenly the Radians are looking kind of short. :)

In other news, the BoostaPak will be coming to the US by Safety 1st in November. $59.99, a five year lifespan, 40-80 pounds. It's been available in Europe for several years, but not in the US. I'm excited on a personal note to see this as Piper's BubbleBum will expire when or soon after we start traveling with a booster for Laine. Between the two, the BoostaPak offers more leg support, and less frustrating guides, but it cannot go in your suitcase easily. However, a child can carry it and their travel toys themselves.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

melniemi

Now I might need another baby!! I loved my keyfits and always wished Chicco made a convertible. Since my baby is over 3, I doubt I'll get this seat :(

cso1997

I imagine it will be eons before we actually can buy this seat. I am pregnant with number 4 now. I hope I don't have to have a number 5 just to try it out :)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
That'll be JUST in time for my baby to move out of the Keyfit! Ahh I'm excited to hear more for sure.

rxmommy

Can't wait to see this one!!! My tall baby will be out of the Keyfit for sure....but I could shuffle some seats and wait. Sounds awesome!

cowgirlsmommy

Dreams really do come true!

When can I purchase this amazing seat since my husband is next to me right now rolling his eyes over my excitement?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
estimated arrival on the nextfit? sounds promising!

It was specifically not put it in writing, but they're hoping to be early to mid 2013.

When is it slated to be at retail?

Oh and will it include an anti rebound feature?

None was mentioned at all. Not certain what will happen north of the border, IF this goes north. I'll ask both tomorrow.

oooooooh!

Is it going to take as long to finally hit the shelves as the Strada did?

I hope not!!!

Will it have any type of anti rebound?

If you could pick any two seats that could be its parents which two would you pick?

Hmmmm. Foonf and Size4Me. The height of both, the small footprint relative to the seat of the Foonf, the no rethread harness of the Size4Me. It kind of looks like a Peg convertible.

Headwings? :) thanks!!!

Yup! With plastic, not just foam. So kids can't break them like Britax's.

Wendy

Last edited:

MyTwoSons

Just saw the pic from the flyer on the blog...looks awesome!

IRL, how deep are the sides compared to seats like the MyRide or S4M?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I measured the side depth at 7" at the hip.

Front to back rear facing in recline position one on their demo seat was 27".

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I asked on the anti-rebound today and the answer is no. Nothing more will be done to the seat in that regard, and it will be Canadian 2012 compliant as it stands when it hits the shelves next year (like the Keyfit already was compliant). Yes, it will be going to Canada, but no timeline was given.

This seat is seriously drool worthy. But it's a Chicco, what else would be expected from the makers and designers of the Keyfit? I have so many clients who are going to be thrilled to hear that they may not have to get something more difficult after their Keyfits have spoiled them rotten.

And I misheard on the lockoffs. The ones currently on it are the lockoffs that should be there in the end when it hits the shelves. Which is cool. They strike me like the Keyfit's. Something simple that works.

I think it's been put away, so I don't think I'll see the seat again.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC