Recaro Como Head Wings Size!!! **UPDATE**

lovinwaves

Ok, a few people are very concerned about the headwings size on the new Recaro Como, and I just want to clarify some things.

The EPS Foam that makes the Recaro a "TSIP" seat is NOT located in those head wings. The head wings ARE REMOVABLE for older kids.

The head wings ONLY contain comfort padding, and may be removed. This is an added benefit for someone who has a baby that ends up not liking the headwings. This way the parent has the option to remove them, whereas the Boulevard you cannot.

Again, as soon as my seats are delivered I will be doing a review ASAP.

Let's think about this for a minute.....If an authorized dealer has bought say $5K in Recaro seats and they aren't selling do you really think that dealer is going to be stuck with them? No, they are going to call Recaro and say "look there is a problem with your seat".

We have only seen two photos, one novice review, and one 5 year old child in the seat. The Infant padding wasn't even removed....... :twocents:

I am considering these seats as well for my little ones, but I am not going to jump the gun and say "NO WAY" because of a few pix. I am going to wait until they get here and then make my decision. That would be the smart thing to do, right?

Last edited:
ADS

Tara

Re: Recaro Como Head Wings Size!!!

Well as soon as something comes in and you can post some real life pics of kids in the seat withOUT the wings...please do so.

But even trying to envision the seat w/o the wings..I'm not sure it will work for us. It still looks a bit tight in shoulder room.

And let us see any differences between the fit in a Como vs Signo.

I'm *wanting* to hang onto this whole Recaro idea..I just don't know...

lovinwaves

then where is the tsip located if not in the infant or baby head wings?

It is located where the EPS foam would be located in any other seat. It is built into the sides of the shell.

Quote from Recaro's website:

The RECARO Side Impact Protection system with its extra large side wings, correctly shaped headrest and comfortable padding provides an additional peace-of-mind when your child may need it most.

chickenman

It is located in the actual seat itself. From my understand it is locaed in the shell on the sides. Again, once I get the seat in hand I can tell you exactly where the EPS foam is located, but it is NOT in the headwings you see.

ok well i guess its best not to speculate.

lovinwaves

Use the headwings until your child does not like them, or becomes uncomfortable then simply remove them.

This seat STILL has 19 inch slots. :thumbsup:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

Use the headwings until your child does not like them, or becomes uncomfortable then simply remove them.

What about the Signo? I'm having a hard time seeing any difference in the Como head wings vs. the Signo head wings based on the pictures on their website. The Como head wings are removable, but we're stuck with the ones on the Signo, so hopefully they will be alot different.

lovinwaves

What about the Signo? I'm having a hard time seeing any difference in the Como head wings vs. the Signo head wings based on the pictures on their website. The Como head wings are removable, but we're stuck with the ones on the Signo, so hopefully they will be alot different.

Or *your* child may be perfectly fine with the headwings :)

arly1983

But is essentially the same problem as the radian, if it is not wide enough to accommodate a child with a 19 in torso then...

It does look like it has awesome SIP and I like the deeper shell. It is only one picture but that is a really skinny five yr old.

lovinwaves

But is essentially the same problem as the radian, if it is not wide enough to accommodate a child with a 19 in torso then...

It does look like it has awesome SIP and I like the deeper shell. It is only one picture but that is a really skinny five yr old.

She also did not remove the infant padding which appears to be very thick.

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

I'm curious to know about the RF tether and how that's going to work without a D-ring, myself.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Hey Melissa,

I agree with you on waiting to see the actual seats. It is totally hard to see or judge seats without several people trying them out.

And, yes, not saying that the photos were bad that were posted of the Como but, a bad picture can be taken. My picture of my daughter in her Radian is probably not all that great and people have stated here that she looks like she is cramped in the shoulder area. The truth is she has plenty of shoulder room and the Radian is wider in the shoulder area than the Boulevard's and Marathon we have. When I told her to sit back and put her head back for the photo she kind of scrunched up her shoulders. There you have a bad picture that looks like even a petite child doesn't fit.

Personally I can't wait to see these seats. I know that I'd be interested in seeing both the Como and Signo I don't know if I would be purchasing one since we have the Boulevard's and Radian's and don't have any issues with them but if I could get my hands on one and try my two year old in it I definately would. I'm relying on others trying them out and the reviews on the web.

Can't wait to read your review. Will you also be reviewing the Signo? It would be helpful to us here. Thanks!!! :D

lamamaloca

I'm definitely still going to be considering this for a future purchase. It seems like a great deal of the trouble is that people were considering this an alternative to the Regent, when truly it seems to be more of an alternative to the Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard, but with higher top slots. :twocents:

lovinwaves

Yes, it is shocking to me that everyone is ready to throw the towel in on this seat. This is RECARO we are talking about here. Not just some up and coming carseat company.

Me and another Technician will be reviewing both the COMO and SIGNO when they arrive. Hopefully the COMO will be here by Monday, since it shipped out on Wednesday.

People are losing their preorder downpayments on a seat they have never seen before, OR put their child in. Every child fits differently in every seat. And no offense to the OP, but she literally just sat her son in the seat quickly and snapped a photo. That doesn't give us a good review of the seat, ya know?

Since I am considering these seats as well, I am very curious to see how my children fit. Believe me, if there is a MAJOR problem with the seat Recaro WILL be fixing it.

Didn't this same thing happen with the Radian when it was first released on the market... :whistle:

Everyone just needs to calm down, quit speculating, and be patient...

arly1983

She also did not remove the infant padding which appears to be very thick.

We can all take awkward photos of our kids in their seats. Even the OP admitted the picture looks splayed, and she thought the seat was great.

I hate see all of the herding that is happening...

I didn't think I was....I am sharing my concerns about a car seat that I have preordered. The company I have preordered from does not have a good return policy so I am depending on other people's opinions and pictures to guide my decisions. I personally am canceling my first preorder and I am ordering from Elitecarseats and getting return shipping insurance.

It is still the only 35 lb RFing tethered seat. I am trying to decide if it is worth it to get a Como for Jackson since it has removable headwings and he can't stand anything around his head but the lack of shoulder area worries me. I am also worred about this seat RFing as even at a more upright angle the Boulevard was almost to long RFing for my DH and the Como/Signo are supposed to have a 2 in taller shell.

I feel like I have very valid concerns.

lovinwaves

I'm definitely still going to be considering this for a future purchase. It seems like a great deal of the trouble is that people were considering this an alternative to the Regent, when truly it seems to be more of an alternative to the Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard, but with higher top slots. :twocents:

Yes agreed. I can already tell by the photos it will not be as big as the Regent, but then again not everyone wants the huge Regent. It might be a good inbetween of the Radian, MA, and Regent. This seat still has 19inch slots, which makes this seat very appealing to me :)

lovinwaves

I didn't think I was....I am sharing my concerns about a car seat that I have preordered. The company I have preordered from does not have a good return policy so I am depending on other people's opinions and pictures to guide my decisions. I personally am canceling my first preorder and I am ordering from Elitecarseats and getting return shipping insurance.

It is still the only 35 lb RFing tethered seat. I am trying to decide if it is worth it to get a Como for Jackson since it has removable headwings and he can't stand anything around his head but the lack of shoulder area worries me. I am also worred about this seat RFing as even at a more upright angle the Boulevard was almost to long RFing for my DH and the Como/Signo are supposed to have a 2 in taller shell.

I feel like I have very valid concerns.

Arly....My comment was not directed at you :) Sorry for the confusion. I edited my post.

arly1983

Ok, thanks for telling me...

We tried Jackson in the Triumph Advanced and he only had an 1 in of room

I am still worried, you know, I am one seat short and time is ticking away...I don't want to rush out like I did with the Decathlon and have major regrets later...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC