Brainstorm with me Kiddy Cruiserfix vs KWP

jenfrogmom

Alright, I have many questions...

First, Is the KCF and the KWP the same height in booster mode? Is the KWP shield really really as safe as a 5 pt harness? Is it hard to take the shield off the KWP? Is the KWP a latchabe booster?

In a few weeks I will be getting two new babysitting kids, my oldest 5.5 is booster trained and will be going to school full time. I was wondering if I could use the KWP for my son as a booster and for one of my babysitting kiddos when my son is at school. He will rarely be in my car once he starts school.

Thoughts? Advise? Thanks :)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Cruiser is shorter, but still pretty tall... http://carseatblog.com/18008/kiddy-...erman-for-check-out-this-awesome-new-booster/ Shield comes right off the KWP, no real effort, just maybe unclick and lift. Yes, the shield is as safe as a harness (though some kids like it, some HATE shields).

edit...thanks for the thanks, D, even though I'm wrong about the shield removal (evidently there's a screwdriver involved). whoops! Also see Jennie's post below.

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=226696

I have no problem with using this type of energy absorbing shield system. Also, the KWP makes a fine high back booster.

My issues with the seat involved vehicle compatibility, poor ease-of-use in shield mode (unless installed on the passenger side seat) and also the relatively high cost. The last energy absorbing shield system in the USA counted all those factors as benefits. I think a lot of people will find it is compatible with their car and pretty easy to use, so it's worth trying if you like the concept and get a good return policy.

I note that converting to booster mode is not quite as simple as it may seem. Because of federal standards, the LATCH hardware must be "permanently" attached to the shell. Since the shield is not permanently attached, the straps attach to the shell by virtue of small plastic push-in automotive screws. These must be removed or replaced to do the conversion. That also means LATCH is not present in booster mode.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, I agree with Darren on all that. It sounds like you want to use it as a booster with your son and with the shield for the daycare kid? You would need a screwdriver and patience to convert from shield to booster mode each time.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
With a screwdriver, they come out and pop in in just a few seconds each. Of course, it's also possible to lose the screws, at which point you wouldn't have the issue until you received replacements...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, switching them now and then isn't an issue at all. It's just not something you'd want to do multiple times a day in a pick-up line or something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC