Options for our Next Seat?

Abbeylicious

Hello everyone,
I've been doing lots of research on seats but I am still undecided on what to do. This seems like a great place to ask for help!

So, the situation...

Car: 2009 Ford Focus SEL

Kids:
Daughter: 3 y/o, 26-28lbs, 36" tall, 12.5" torso, currently RF in a MyRide65

Son: 15 mos, approx 20lbs, 28.5" tall, 12" torso, currently RF, still in his Snugride32 :p

So, I had kind of planned on getting a Nautilus for DD and getting a new cover for the MR65 and handing that down to DS. However, given that both kiddos are on the small side of average, I have lots of options for keeping DD RF longer. I really liked the idea of the GN being 3-in-1, but after reading reviews of them not making great boosters, I'm back at square one! And the last time I tried for a long-lasting car seat (MR65), it turned out to be a fail. (Doesn't install well FFing in the Focus - grrr!) Otherwise, both myself and my daughter LOVE this seat RFing. I guess we just assumed if it fit RF that it would fit FF!
So now my search had been expanded to include convertible seats again!
Thinking that DS could get the new seat for now and let DD keep her MR? Then when DD gets bigger and is ready to FF, they could switch then.
Looking at the Evenflo Symphony DLX All-in-one, but the straps did seem tight on her neck. And almost all seats seem to push her head forward a bit.
Realistically, DS could probably fit in his bucket for quite some time still - it could take a while for him to grow 3+ inches! lol BUT, my sister is due in October and I said she could have it. So I *SHOULD* have at least another month to decide on our next seat and watch for sales but considering that I'm thee most indecisive person ever, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed!! Sorry for the novel :eek:

Anyway, if anyone has some advice on seats, fit, options, etc. I would be extremely grateful!

TIA! :)

ADS
V

VanIsleMommy

are you wanting to keep the 3 year old rear facing or are you strictly looking for a forward facing/booster? (nm reread your original post and saw that you are willing to keep him in the myride for now).

you could get a radian, which could keep the 3 year old rear facing for another year easily, passing the myride to the little one, then use the radian ff until she is old enough for a dedicated booster. that depends if it will fit in your car...

or you could pass down the myride and move the 3 year old to a seat like the nautilus or monteray or frontier. in this case my vote would be for the frontier.

another option is to get a convertible for the baby like a scenera until your 3 year old outgrows the myride and then reevaluate what your needs are. sis could then have the scenera when her baby outgrows the bucket ;)

there is also the safety first guide, the true fit... actually the true fit might be a good option too, as the headrest can be removed on the lower harness slots and might fit the car better, then you can move the baby to the myride and the 3 year old to the true fit forward facing later.

Last edited:

Abbeylicious

Thanks for your suggestions. I was actually just in Sears a couple days ago and had a look at the Radian XRT - wow! (I love how sturdy and comfortable it felt). Now I just need someone to convince me that I need this seat! If it fit RF in the middle and puzzled beside a RF MyRide I would be sold!
I also had a look at a TrueFit but the only place I have been able to find one was Zellers and it was a demo off the shelf. Are they sold anywhere else?
I think the next step is going to be finding a babysitter so I can spend a day trying seats in my car. If anyone knows for sure what fits and what doesn't please let me know!
And any other suggestions are welcome!
Thanks! :)

V

VanIsleMommy

the radian and the myride puzzle VERY well together! it is also way easier for toddlers to climb into than the myride is since it isn't as high up, both rear and forward facing.

the true fit might be a bit harder to puzzle with the myride because it's so wide, but if both kids are outboard that might work. I believe babies r us also carries the true fit. if you can find one in stock in zellers (a 2012 model, don't let them sell you a demo or old stock) you may be able to get it on sale with the zellers clearance sales.

Abbeylicious

Awesome! Do you happen to know if the puzzling also works when the MR is RF and Radian is FF? If we could gain an outboard passenger seat it would go a long way in helping me convince hubby to spend almost $400 on this seat! :D

V

VanIsleMommy

that depends on your vehicle really, I've heard some installed side by side beautifully and others couldn't get it to work at all.

I would ask a store clerk if you can try the radian both ways before buying. Remember they have to be independently tight and correct installs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC