Makes me want airbags

bnsnyde

THIS crash test has made me dislike our car without side or side-curtain airbags even more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUH-a7T0UCU"]Volvo S80 and full-size pickup side impact crash test by IIHS - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe if I show this to my husband he'll want to replace sooner rather than later. That being said, in the back seat, in a Prosport (deep head wings), how bad off are kids? That is, versus a car with side air-bags? It's the spare car and is only used on weekends with them. Normally we're in the van.

I'm thinking not good, but how bad? Obviously we'd opt for better protection if we had it. Wish I could magically make those airbags appear!

If we wait until 2014 we'd probably get a backup camera standard, which I do want.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No curtain airbags makes me keep my kids in highbacks as long as possible...then I sort of have to cave, because, well, there's not enough center seats for everyone to have one. I can't wait to replace my van :eek:

NatesMamma

Ugh. That actually made me cringe. I hate DH's side airbag-less Corolla even more now. Unfortunately, I don't think he plans to replace it any time soon. :(

The lack of airbags is why our kids are never going to FF in an outboard position in that car and why I always push for us to use my vehicle whenever possible.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, in a situation like that, I'm not sure that highback boosters would make much difference, as the forward momentum would probably throw the kid free of the wings anyway.

I'd like to see a test WITH airbags. They would certainly protect some against intrusion and reduce lateral motion to some extent, but I'm not sure by how much. The real danger with side-impacts is the lateral motion. Our heads weren't designed to whip sideways, nor were our internal organs.

Certainly having side airbags is preferable to not having them. When buying new cars, I always insist on the latest safety equipment, but I don't think I'd get a new car JUST for that reason.

bnsnyde

I saw that! So now I want an Acura TL or Volvo S60. :) But they also have to do 3 across easily.

That's seriously good marketing to do this test and have a car do well! And other companies are now raising the bar.

So...why don't carseats crash test and release data? And most people would buy the best rated...forcing seats that perform less well out of the market, thus raising the standards for all carseats!

_juune

So now I want an Acura TL or Volvo S60. :)
I do drive a Volvo S60 :eek: Way older one, though. I wonder -- are there any crash tests on cars that have been on road for, say, 10 years? Any studies on how much does all the structures deteriorate over time?

laccaycol

That is almost exactly how my crash was on july 29th. Other than i was in a van and the girl who hit me was in a honda accord. Still my body did the same as the dummy. I remember hanging over my armrest to my right after she hit. I didnt have side airbags. I thought i had them in my 05 T&C but i guess not lol.

atw

I couldn't respond last night because this is precisely the accident my friend was in. Sedan t-boned by suv. It made me a little sick to see what happened and think about how they said she died "quickly."

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

henrietta

That is almost exactly how my crash was on july 29th. Other than i was in a van and the girl who hit me was in a honda accord. Still my body did the same as the dummy. I remember hanging over my armrest to my right after she hit. I didnt have side airbags. I thought i had them in my 05 T&C but i guess not lol.

Laccoyl,

I just noticed you had a 29 weeker born recently. My former 29 weeker turned 7 years old yesterday. :) I hope you all are doing well.

tam_shops

I was in a T-bone crash like than when I first got my driver's license. It was big old 65 metal Cadillac (me driving slowly) vs some little speeding 2 door Toyota.

The accident happened exactly like that video. My head went into the side window--still have the lump on my head to prove it. Then I don't remember much else. We all walked away. My mom was the passenger and it *really* hurt her back/neck, but I don't remember mine hurting much anyway. I was young and in shape back then! LOL

I've never been a fan of air bags, being short and small, but I'll be picking the side curtain ones next time around, no doubt about it!

tam

lovemybabies924

Eek! I only have side air bags for the front seat :( and not in my accord at all :( my van just stopped starting so I have four kids in the accord... Not fun :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC